Coral Vue Hydros

Hermit crab snail?

ZR2

8 minutes ago, Rob22 said:

Hermits don’t make their own shells. They kill snails and take theirs. 

I know, live aquaria had mistaked the crab as a snail and mixed it with the snails I bought. But I have this snail that I thought was a hermit and I don’t know what it is. Has a weird long head sticking out of it. 

image.jpg

Looks like a nessarius snail based on that one long antennae/feeler.  Not positive though.  Does it dive under the sand and only leave the feeler sticking out like a periscope, or does it stay out and roam?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Lognor said:

Looks like a nessarius snail based on that one long antennae/feeler.  Not positive though.  Does it dive under the sand and only leave the feeler sticking out like a periscope, or does it stay out and roam?

I have not seen it go under yet. It was up on the glass. I order astreas, nerites, and some margarita snails to tackle a green hair algae problem. Not sure what’s in that pink shell. It’s the only shell that looks like that and it was shipped in the back with the hermit and the other hermit was mixed in with the snails 

4 minutes ago, ZR2 said:

I have not seen it go under yet. It was up on the glass. I order astreas, nerites, and some margarita snails to tackle a green hair algae problem. Not sure what’s in that pink shell. It’s the only shell that looks like that and it was shipped in the back with the hermit and the other hermit was mixed in with the snails 

The pink is just corraline algae, nothing indicative of a species, as far as I know.  If it's not burying itself and is out all the time, then it's not likely to be a nessarius then, unless it was starving when you got it.  I'm sure someone more familiar with snails will chime in.

Yeah, looks like my nassarius snails —  how long has it been in the tank? Mine stayed out and crawled all over my glass and rocks for most of the first day I added them. By night it’ll prob bury itself in the sand and keep its little snout sticking from the sand. I love em. Think it’s so cute when they pop out from the sand — always at feed time 🙃

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

💖💖💖

Keep it, keep it! Total good guy 🙂

Didnt realise that saw him head directly for my Hermit so he is chilling in my back up pico at the moment. I thought these were meat/carrion eaters?

Just now, Ratvan said:

Didnt realise that saw him head directly for my Hermit so he is chilling in my back up pico at the moment. I thought these were meat/carrion eaters?

They’re great at cleaning up leftovers and small detritus on the sand bed. You’ll notice at feeding time they’ll pop right out of the sand and come runnin’. Though they won’t sift sand. I haven’t heard any negative aspects to having them — I have 3 of them in my 13.5g.

• Like 1

Ratvan, yours is definitely a nassarius snail. The other can’t really be determined due to the coraline. I have never seen a nassarius snail covered in coraline due to them spending most of the time under the sand. No light and the sand scrapes their shell. The op’s snail could have been stuck in a bare bottom tank for a while though. 

On 4/24/2019 at 3:18 PM, Rob22 said:

Ratvan, yours is definitely a nassarius snail. The other can’t really be determined due to the coraline. I have never seen a nassarius snail covered in coraline due to them spending most of the time under the sand. No light and the sand scrapes their shell. The op’s snail could have been stuck in a bare bottom tank for a while though. 

I am still not sure if mine is a whelk or a nassarius, it is lazy. It has been stuck to the glass for two days. It tried to bury itself one day and then got back up on the glass. My new Astreas are slow but they are starting to put a dent in the hair algae. Also found my new green clown goby alive in the sump after going missing for 2 days. It has been an interesting week with the tank. 

• Like 2