ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish hosting coral

neptune22

Want to get a clownfish for my nano, my tank if full of lps such as frogspawn, hammer, duncan, candycane, and a dew others. I am concerned that the clownfish will host one of the coral and kill it since I dont have nor want an anenome. I have herd lots of stories of clowns doing this especily to Duncans, my favorite coral. Is this likely to happen and should I be concered or is it fine to get a clownfish.

All help is appreciated, thankyou.

Each clown is different, theres no way to know.

My clowns have hosted my frogspawns for 4 yrs. Unfortunately, the frogspawn has gone from 4 heads to 2. 

My other clown hosted xenia and a brain coral. Now he hosts the back wall. The tank is full of anemones.

Others have hosted powerheads and a leather coral- the leather hated it.

• Thanks 1

Mine are hosting a wave maker... they wont let me get near it, and if i pull it out to clean it, they get sad, lost and look all around for it.

The moment i put it back, there back at it.  

Its quite funny and sad at the same time.  

Whatever you do, please dont get an anemone until you have done enough research on it. 

clowns dont need an anemone, to be happy. And if poorly executed and it dies, it can take your entire tank with it.  

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
Afropenguin

Tank raised clowns will host just about anything. Mine hosted some green hairy mushrooms.

They can piss of a lot of LPS corals since they push their bodies against it.

• Thanks 1

As everyone already said, they are all different - but they aren't going to be killing off your LPS left and right. Mine were fairly aggressive and chose a large acan echinata to host them and it took about a year for them to rub a small hole in the middle. However, since the coral was healthy, it just kept growing and formed a "donut" shape. Eventually, I rescaped when I moved and they took up residence in an RBTA.

A few years later the echinata they were using as a home is the largest colony in my tank and shaped normally. Don't worry about the clowns damaging things too bad. If you get worried about a particular coral, you can just move things around.

• Thanks 1

My clowns did take up residence in my Duncan, after a few months the Duncan started looking rather unhappy, I tried moving it but they followed no matter where I put it...so they’re currently cut off from it to give it some time to recover a bit. 

102B1379-82EA-410E-9315-3A976E4E3B2A.jpeg

• Thanks 1
SingingSiren

I have 2  B/W Ocellaris that love ANY anemone!! But sometimes they love them to death😪.Ive gone through a couple of Bubble Tips, a Long tentacle, now they are hosted by a Haitian Condylactis and Rock Flower anemones..,,

• Thanks 1