Pod Your Reef

New coral in tank

randofishguy

randofishguy

Picked up the bargain coral at LFS over the weekend, though the guy was new and had no idea what it was. I figured I'd take a chance since it looks so cool. Pretty sure it's a zoanthid, but any help identifying would be great!

IMG_0033.JPG

Edited by dasrkrain
randofishguy
Just now, Joevember said:

Not a zoanthid. Looks like a leptastrea, but can't tell 100% because it's closed up.

Okay cool. Closed up? It came that way at the LFS, I hope nothing is wrong with it.

5 minutes ago, dasrkrain said:

Okay cool. Closed up? It came that way at the LFS, I hope nothing is wrong with it.

Closed up meaning it isn't fully expanded. Corals can take a while to get acclimated and comfortable for them to open up and extend their polyps in a new tank.

I'm assuming you just introduced this coral into your tank, so it's normal for it to be closed.

randofishguy
2 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Closed up meaning it isn't fully expanded. Corals can take a while to get acclimated and comfortable for them to open up and extend their polyps in a new tank.

I'm assuming you just introduced this coral into your tank, so it's normal for it to be closed.

Yes I just added this weekend. Thanks Joevember for the help. I did some googling and it definitely looks like a leptastrea. 

• Like 1

leptastrea need medium to high flow if im not mistaken.

looking at that red slimy stuff around it looks like cyano, which is mostly present in locations with poor flow.  

id move it to where it can get better flow.  

• Like 1
randofishguy
17 hours ago, Naekuh said:

leptastrea need medium to high flow if im not mistaken.

looking at that red slimy stuff around it looks like cyano, which is mostly present in locations with poor flow.  

id move it to where it can get better flow.  

Done! Thanks for the advice!