inTank Media Baskets

strange stalk on side of coral, need help with ID?

errand

I have a strange white bony stalk attached to the bottom of my brain, it was already there when I bought it from the LFS but I forgot to ask about it, and now I can't figure out how to describe to google well enough - does anyone know what this is?? it seems to be stiff and hard, with a bit of algae on it i suppose?

What is it?? It doesn't move. It doesn't seem to be hurting the coral?

I'm a total beginner to marine tanks and have so many questions, have been standing next to the tank for days looking at it and really want to know.

stalk.jpg

sidestalk.jpg

Whatever it is, it doesn't look disasterous to your trachy. I would be worried about it if it was making it close up or decay. Some sponges have growing patterns similar to that, but yours seems hard and spiky (not characteristics or most sponges).

Some closer, focused pics or a bend test, to see its rigidity, could help ID it. Although if it were me I'd just pull it all of so I wouldn't risk itritating the coral.

Sponges gave me something to google thanks! I'm a bit too scared to pull it off just now as the trachy is fully opened and its engulfing the top part of the stalk, but i'll do that tonight when it's shrunk. The stalk seems to be semi translucent and there is something dark inside, I have poked it with a skewer and it's bendy like rubber. Whatever it is I'll remove it, thanks for your help.

stalkbase.jpg

trachyopen.jpg

• Like 1

I would keep it like take it off the trachy and glue it to some rock rubble or something and watch It a while and see if it grows any may be something alive and cool. If it feels rubbery could be a sponge , tunica or soft coral maybe if somethinhninside could be something like a tube worm? Ever had any feelers or things sticking out of it? ...hard to tell what it is. 

Ok that is a better idea. I've had planted freshwater tanks for years and loved them but marine tanks - i'm finding the diversity of lifeforms absolutely mindblowing in comparison. I had no idea the ocean was full of so many wonderful things. I'll cut it off and glue it somewhere else, thanks!