Pod Your Reef

Nano-Reef.com 18th Birthday! T-Shirt & Sticker Giveaway 🎉

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

🎉 Join me in wishing the Nano-Reef.com Community a Happy 18th Birthday! 🎈

I can hardly believe 18 years have gone by since I first started Nano-Reef.com as a teenage aquarist, curious to share the concept of nano reef keeping with the world. Back then the idea of keeping a reef aquarium under 75 gallons was pretty controversial in the hobby, there were few documented examples on the web or in books, and even less followup on how they had turned out long term. I started this website in 2001 to share my simple all-natural reef keeping philosophy using live rock and sand, and show how simple dedicated maintenance with easy water changes can lead to a sustainable small scale 'nano reef' ecosystem. Our forums went live a couple months thereafter, and on this foundation an incredible community of hobbyists has grown! Sharing our experiences and documenting them along the way, we've pushed the limits of reef keeping knowledge and made some amazing discoveries in the process. This community has touched generations of reef hobbyists, created countless friendships, launched amazing hobbyist owned businesses, cut the teeth of a new emerging reef keeping technologies, and supported countless hobbyists as they entered the reef keeping world. I am deeply honored to be host to such an awesome community of people, thank you all for being a part!

IMG_9385.JPG

To celebrate this milestone, I'd like to give away 18 Nano-Reef.com T-Shirt & Sticker Packs to 18 lucky community members!

For a chance to win, simply post here and share a personal memory from your time here on Nano-Reef, a funny moment, a past aquarium you miss, an old photo from years ago, you get the idea. I'll randomly draw 18 names from amongst the group who responds here in this thread by May 14, simple as that! 🙂 

I'll start things off by sharing a memory of mine, a photo of my first nano reef, housed in the first aquarium I ever hand built, a prototype of the 7.5 gallon 'all-in-one' tank I would later briefly sell online under the brand Nano Reef Aquaria.

original.jpg

And a bonus capture from my nano reef webcam circa 2002!

webcam.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has contributed your time, knowledge, experiences, questions and passion to the community throughout these past 18 years, you are the ones who make this community such a tremendous resource and support group for hobbyists all across the world! I also want to thank our amazing community sponsors who have supported us along the way, their contributions are what keeps the lights on and we wouldn't be here 18 years later without their dedicated support! ❤️ 

Here's to another wonderful year my friends! 🍻 Thank you for choosing to share a little bit of your day here with us! ☺️

• Like 31
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic

Here's to ya and to many more brother!

🍻

My favorite thing is the people here,so helpful and fun! Ive "met" a great deal of amazing folks and it couldnt be more appreciated. 

• Like 8

Yay!!!!!  :happydance:

Happy Birthday NR!!!!!!! 

My favorite memory or thing I love the most about NR is all of the friends I have made from all over the world. The community has shown me a lot of love through several tough times. 

I’m grateful for that love and all the laughs we have had over the few years that I have been a member. 

Thank you @Christopher Marks   

• Like 15

Huge congrats on the milestone! Been a member on other forums but this is the only one I ever really get my fix from. 

I'm not sure I ever would have started a reef tank if it weren't for this forum and a few select members that were helpful 9 years ago and are still here!

• Like 9

I remember finding Nano-reef when looking for help with our first reef tank, a 14 gal Biocube that was covered in cyano and algae. Without the help I received on here, I doubt we would still have reef tanks now, 7 years later! 

Look how sad it was ( btw, the 2 clowns are still with us!).  Nano-reef saved it and our interest in reef tanks. Thanks!

post-74710-1347305893.jpg

• Like 8

Happy bday nano-reef.com glad to be a part of the community since 2004.  This forum has been my go to website when at home, work, anytime really for many years.  I've found my self spending hours and hours rolling through threads builds, diy projects, experiences, identifications of animals, bugs, coral, fish, diseases, issues, and much much more. l love reef keeping and this has been my passion/obsession for many many years.  My favorite thing on here has to be the builds and set ups journals.  @Christopher MarksThanks for creating this amazing site that has been a part of my life and many others.  HAPPY REEFING EVERYONE!

Jan 2005.......Someone who enjoyed my reef as much as I did, when I wasnt planted in that chair, my little helper would be.  (my girlfriend at the time, and many others always thought I loved my reef more 😍)

large.gallery_7477_3_1356252142_7864.jpg.94b882b2f80caba4fdc156de0e9f638b.jpg

• Like 15

I remember joining this forum when I was like 17. Years later I'm in my own place, own job, fiancé, dog, etc. BUT through all that I still have and maintain a nano reef and probably always will. 

Happy to be part of this forum since 2013.

Cheers,

• Like 10
1 minute ago, OverCookedRock said:

I remember joining this forum when I was like 17. Years later I'm in my own place, own job, fiancé, dog, etc. BUT through all that I still have and maintain a nano reef and probably always will. 

Happy to be part of this forum since 2013.

Cheers,

Same bro! 🍻🤙

• Like 4
shaneandjohn

This site has been quite a valuable resource during our 8 years here! We don’t post a lot, but we have read and researched many topics discussed on this forum.This forum is stacked with many knowledgable contributors, amazing tank journals, and creative DIY projects. 

Thank you @Christopher Marks  for making a place where all of us obsessed hobbyists can share our successes, failures, and even our daily life adventures!!

• Like 8

Happy Birthday 🎂🎊 

this is the first aquarium build I posted on nano-reef (I think) 

I really miss having the space I had with my 40 breeder 

0F27B904-F832-4E6E-8ED1-0C8F167A47D1.jpeg

• Like 7

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!!

I joined almost 5 years ago when I looked into getting my first tank. There were so many people I went to for advice and I was (am) so greatful there's tons of members willing to share their knowledge with others. 

I probably peruse the past TOTMs every few months for inspiration and research into different equipment. It's fun looking back to see what different equipment has been used over the years and what has stayed the same. 

• Like 10

Shoot I forgot to post an nano reef memory.. I'm not one for social media but man I have found a home here. I hate reading the news in the morning with all the negative stuff that they show so I dont get up and read it.. my daily routine is get up and cruise nano reef for my relaxing time.. I cant express the joy I get reading through tank journals.. I absolutely love the reefing family here.. I've learned so much from you all.. shit I even love talking to the lawndarts while having a beer in the evenings.. even though I'm new here I feel I have found some good friends on nano reef.. got a photo here of when I added our first fish to my biocube in 2017. My daughters face says it all. Pure happiness..  happy reefing nano reefers!!!😎

Oh and my favorite posts are of the nano reef Christmas exchange. If you havent done it you should!! Its a great time!! Thanks for that @jbb_00

Screenshot_20190422-162257_Gallery.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Nano reef.  I have been a member since 2006, but only recently started posting.  I have learned so much reading on this forum and I love that no one tries to make others feel stupid.  Thanks for making this a place that everyone feels welcome.  I am so glad you are doing the throwback janky contest as well.

• Like 5

nanoreef18.jpg.dd49fab81e65bca6b4f2d81ce0f356df.jpg

My first reef tank, a Mini-Bow 7 gallon with a 50/50 CF bulb retrofitted into the hood.

IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.ac6dc549f5e53d9cd4adcee68b5675a9.JPG

minibow-thumb.jpg.b0123e697b34cb0c72637a9c5ee26408.jpg

Me, 10 years ago.  Gee, time sure flies.  Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!

https://www.nano-reef.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/misc/epcot.jpg&key=c7fe70c34901402b0140d54067217707096907bbed62e17b692d409296507834

• Like 15
mitten_reef

Didn’t read the original post. 🤪 

TOTMs have been my go-to for all things Nano-reef inspirations. When I found ones that I like, I followed those tank journals as well. 

here’s my first reef tank in 2013 - Marineland Eclipse 12; heater and stock filtration, even stock 10ish watt cfl that was switched to coralife 50/50 bulb. So it often bothers me when I hear about how complicated everything must be for a newbie to get into.    

IMG_0044

Graduated to IM Nuvo16 about 6 months after that tank. I can’t dig up any pics from this phone. Then had a tank crash right before moving from DC to MI in Feb 2014. 

Finally joined NR in 2016 after lurking for a few more years.   

Where we are now (last month fts)

32474404637_56984e03ea_b.jpg

Shameless plug, here’s my entire journey since officially joining NR. https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/374445-mitten_reef’s-im30l/

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Happy birthday nano-reef!!

Chris I've only been on the site for a year, but it's been such a good time. I love all the guys and gals here and I've learned so much from all the posts.

I'm so new to the aquarium side that I don't have an past photos or anything like that. 😕

Either way I just wanted to say thanks for all the help I've gotten here. Here's to another 18 🍻

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe it's been as long as it has. Congrats. I remember when I first started getting into the hobby, this place was, and remains to be, my main reference. Congratulations on 18 years, CM!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday, Nano-Reef.com!!  N-R will always have a special place in my heart because it got me through the toughest time of my life: law school.  🙂

For me, this site has always been and continues to be a constant source of entertainment, camaraderie, education, and a much needed distraction.

I've had a gazillion tanks in the past, but here's a few from 2005:

6g nanocube:

nc0326full.jpg.9588c35f5ef1fb83a4c04585915a5fbd.jpg

67g + in-closet frag tank:

gallery_9221_3_1356252188_14291.jpg.7df4cf63862ae84d2712e424c973c6b9.jpg

Thanks to @Christopher Marks for creating this amazing community of reefers and all around talented individuals.  

• Like 12
  • Wow 3

IMG_0189.thumb.JPG.76b0a4ba971c9732d314eb6365fd643b.JPG

I've only been on Nano-Reef for about a year but it's been so much fun! I appreciate this community & all of the help & friendliness from fellow reefers.

Here's my first tiny reef that had only this purple mushroom & blue damsel. It was simple but I loved it.

Thanks for such a wonderful community Chris! I'm looking forward to many more years of reefing & learning here on Nano-Reef.

IMG_0215.thumb.JPG.1c685700f01ddce1a3c00da8a7eb525f.JPG

• Like 6
Snow_Phoenix

Happy Birthday, NR!

I've had many tanks over the years, but these two were my favorite of all time - both were mixed reefs, first was a 30G DT + 16 sump with a few fish, second was a 10G + back-end sump pipefish tank:

M01.jpg.4fc579c541acc7edad146c24e8cf82a3.jpg

M02.jpg.27e4a35e45361f159463e5cc53be51b0.jpg

Things have definitely gotten crazy since then, and since money does seem to be a big factor in keeping a reeftank in Malaysia, a lot of good people I know quit this hobby after just a year or two. I first joined the forum many years ago and I've watched it evolve in a way - watched people come and go, and I mostly lurked around different threads and was content reading all the different posts/experiences of other reefers. I only became active about 2 to 3 years ago (I *think), and I'm happy to say I even discovered some very, very good friends/mentors through NR as a result. It definitely was worth sticking around. :happydance:

I think my best memory on this forum was watching the mantis builds pop up one by one. There was a user here named FlowerMama who had an amazing RFA tank and I still remember she used to have this mantis named Gertie. I didn't know much about mantis shrimp then, and only used to hear bad things about them - the most common one being how they'd crack your glass, murder all your fish. But I watched more and more reefers keep this shrimp over the years, and it motivated me to keep my very first mantis - a Purple Spot female named Freya who loved to play with plastic colored dice. From then onwards, I've been fascinated with this species, and kept three other mantises since then (Nyx, Morpheus & Zephyra). I'd most definitely love to have another mantis again - hopefully another purple spot, but with my LFS shipment being quite unpredictable, there's no telling if you'd get one, or what sort of mantis it'll be. 😕 

Anyhow, it's nice to be a part of a diverse community that does accept reefers from all over the world. Thanks for the good memories, NR! :happy:

• Like 11
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic