inTank Media Baskets

Nano-Reef.com 18th Birthday! T-Shirt & Sticker Giveaway 🎉

Christopher Marks

Thrassian Atoll

Congrats on the 18th birthday!  Time to move

out of the house and get a job!  😂

Heres was my first AIO Biocube back in 2011.  Probably took that photo with a 2 megapixel camera.  Haha

3DB0628C-EA46-49B6-A46D-BD7F401A7407.jpeg.fc5362fef8dea22982060d351abb2612.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

This forum and some other forms of media have taught me most of what I know now after having my tank up for about a year in the first or second week of May. I spent a good majority of my time reading through other peoples' dilemmas and journals to gather as much information on starting, maintaining, adding to, and everything that deals with a tank. It was an overwhelming amount of information but eventually I pulled the trigger and bought a breakdown tank from a guy on craigslist and the journey began! 

Minus adding to the tank and moving into a larger aquarium This is where it's at today.

IMG_20190404_152917456.jpg

• Like 5
Oceanbox Designs

OBD started off on NR from scratch with the help of Chris and support from many of you guys so I'm just gonna say huge thanks to NR and congrats on the 18th milestone! I'm proud to be a part of this community. Oh and did I mention the business didn't start long after I had my 12G long up and running? Both the tank and the business are still going strong to date.

<<Best FTS 6/17/17 - 12G Long >>

spacer.png

• Like 12
36 minutes ago, Oceanbox Designs said:

OBD started off on NR from scratch with the help of Chris and support from many of you guys so I'm just gonna say huge thanks to NR and congrats on the 18th milestone! I'm proud to be a part of this community. Oh and did I mention the business didn't start long after I had my 12G long up and running? Both the tank and the business are still going strong to date.

I was wondering about this last night myself🤔.. just how many companys started right here.. dave from nanobox? Steve from intank? 

Pretty neat...

• Like 7

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!!!

I love to read & this site gives me plenty of reading material with a wealth of information! I also very much like the community here, everyone is so encouraging.

I've had a few reef tanks in the past, but my favorite was a pico. I'm so excited to have one up again, can't wait to see how things grow & progress!

Screenshot_2019-04-23-18-36-51-1.png

• Like 7

I've only been in the hobby for a month but NR has been an invaluable resource and without it I would have been too afraid to join! Thank you all!

• Like 7
randofishguy

Congrats on 18 years!!! 

I am a noob, but excited to be here. My favorite memory in my short time here was the first mystery hitchhiker I had in my tank. Identified here as a Limpet I was happy as a clam! (Excuse the horrible pun).

IMG_6959.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Happy birthday 🐠🐟🦀🎂🎉🎉🎉. Thanks to nano reef and all the members I finally started a nano tank of my own. I would read posts all the time wishing one day to finally take the leap and try my hand at reefing. This is a super awesome and very helpful community.

• Like 6
fishfreak0114

Happy 18th Birthday NR, and thank you Christopher Marks! omgomgomg:happydance:

I joined back in 2015 after receiving a tank for Christmas. I’d been reading an insane amount here for the six months before that!  I wish I could have joined back when this site began, but I’m only a couple months older :lol:

NR has taught me so much, given me the courage to give reefing a go, and the Creative Container contest got me to start my first pico!

Way back when I became friends with a guy named amphipod, and we’ve kept in touch. He’s even visited me up here in Canada for a week!  All thanks to NR. And I met my current bf through him as well, so thanks CM :flower:

I haven’t been very active the last year on here or with my tanks, but already being back has made a huge difference!  I’m cleaning and feeding my tanks all the time and buying new pretties :wub:

Here’s to another 18!!

D0B5D848-C8C1-4D0D-9579-5589BBB96C74.jpeg

B4C371F6-AF6E-47FB-95EF-961FCD61A663.jpeg

74A914B0-A431-4EA6-A237-9BBCE7D18D1D.jpeg

• Like 8

I have loved all of the helpful people on here, and my favorite memory is when I see a beginner have long term success due to the help we can provide, which was also provided to me when I started my nano reef journey.

• Like 7

Happy birthday NR! Glad to be back after spending some time away from the hobby :) I'll always remember just starting out and poring over El Fab's pico guide for weeks before starting up my own tank. Here's one of my favorite pictures of my picotope back in its heyday ☺️

IMG_3980_zpsk7z5eynj.jpg

Happy reefing everyone!

• Like 9
WindyCityReefer.

Wow! Hard to believe it has been that long. My story comes from being a long time "lurker" to a member! My favorite part of the forum has been re-connecting with old friends from past forums and groups as well as making new friends. Cannot wait to see what the future brings! 

• Like 5

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!! Thanks to Christopher Marks for starting and running an amazing site! And thanks to everyone else who put up with my 1000 useless posts a day when I joined this site as a teenager with apparently nothing better to do :lol: It didn't even take me that long to hit 10k posts... :wacko:

I've met so many amazing friends through this site, and learned so much. I definitely wouldn't be the algae-loving marine biologist I am today without NR.

I remember when @got2envy sent me free macros to help me get my first macro tank started, which eventually blossomed into my personal favorite tank.

DSC03415.thumb.JPG.1f6364e416eab0f8d4cefca758392929.JPG

DSC03533.thumb.JPG.ade6bf36dab58c6afcaf357c9830dd7c.JPG

SDMA_FTS_10.thumb.jpg.ee2b074aa98a181f34cff353cf784c4c.jpg

I remember being proud of this picture I took with my flip phone camera of my 3g pico in 2010.

Loved that tank too, it was so hard to find small enough power compact lights for it!

426749943_Phone_Damselandcoral.jpg.8f78672a16444d34cd1b5f38578ca7c6.jpg

1539479208_FTS10-31-10.png.e992572bf70188fad8a9d59ffd8430a3.png

I don't need a NR shirt, since I got to meet so many awesome Nano-Reefers at MACNA the other year and got a shirt, which I still wear 🙂 I remember getting a sticker from another NR member years ago. I just wanted to share some memories. I feel like I grew up on this site and NR will forever hold a special place in my heart 🙂

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

Hey Christopher,

I don't really have an image or memory to share as I'm a (relatively) new member and still finding my feet, so to speak. but! I did want to take the opportunity to say a big thank you for everything you have created and maintained, furthermore... I'd also like to give you a big congratulations on the success you have achieved. This really is a great place where anyone, whether they be expert or novice, can find helpful, friendly advice and conversation!

keep up the good work, and all the best for many more years to come!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m a brand new reefer, and this forum has already become an invaluable resource for me! I was so happy to find a community of reef folk, and tbh my family and boyfriend are thankful too, since I use to spend all my time talking about my tank to them! Now I get to talk to people here who are actually interested, and limit my family reef talk to basic updates lol. 

This is my tank, it’s about a month old and doing really well so far!

4FC0E90E-5163-4EB9-B241-ED11EF1251D1.jpeg

81901822-3601-4439-8B4C-97043F493079.jpeg

• Like 7
SURVEYMAN46123

Chris,

I can't thank you enough for creating this outlet for beginners and advanced marine keeping hobbyist's.   If I never stumbled across this site, I would have never found the "courage" to start my little nano reef.   The information shared and found within this forum helped me with my research before starting my tank, and still helps me to this day.   

My best memory from this forum is not my nomination for TOTM, or the unlimited amount of knowledge found here.   It has to be the friendships I have made, and kindness shown from those members.   I honestly can't thank them enough for making this great place, even that more outstanding.   

• Like 6

Wow! 18 years. Incredible.

CONGRATULATIONS 🙂

I guess my favourite part of NR is the community. I've met some great people (online anyways) and definitely created some relationships. I've been on NR over 10 years (two under a name that shall remain secret) and every year has been informative and fun. 

Heres the first tank tank I ever posted on NR. 34g Solana

Thanks Christopher Marks. 

Happy Reefing all.

A33F4A23-8A6B-4E56-BAD7-8555E34FC5AF.jpeg

• Like 7

@Christopher Marks Thanks for keeping it real like so few other forums.

I don't have any really old tank photos (thanks to computers), but here's some of the oldest I do have...not more than a few yesrs old tho:

2AE23BAE-C331-493C-A7AF-15963DE2A673.thumb.jpeg.0287ffa989719fc028987b1a81443515.jpeg7B1BD5C4-3C38-4DF0-9C49-F530051CDFE5.thumb.jpeg.7eddd4c9f21012b2c1d456f51d2d5b16.jpeg

The first one is a Favia that had one of the polyps start blowing up like a bubble.  It's still like that today for some reason – no idea why it happened or why it's staying that way.  Both photos are of the 50 gallon tank on my old system.

The birdsnest in the second photo is about the size of a basketball.

• Like 7

Happy 18 B-day nano-reef!

I just started my journey here but already had loads of help and support!

I am glad there is a place for all of us here, where there is such a huge amount of people ready to help through their own experiences!

Big thank you and hopefully one day I will be able to help others too!

Thank you! One more time!

Kind regards,

Paddy

• Like 5

Happy Birthday N-R! 

I joined this forum a few years ago, loving the idea of a low-maintenance, small piece of the ocean in my home. 

I miss C'est ma's 'Humble 5.5', which was anything but! 

Now it's a go-to for any questions or problems I have in my mini-reef!

• Like 5

I have admired saltwater systems for my entire life, but if it were not for this website I would never have acquired the confidence and expertise I needed to finally take the plunge myself. Now I am the owner of a beautiful aquarium that gives me endless hours of pleasure, and I literally owe it all to N-R. Curating my aquarium journal and reading the stories of so many talented aquarists has itself been a source of relaxation and fascination for me, and I am happy to be able to celebrate this occasion not just as an admirer but as a member of this wonderful community. So thanks N-R, and happy birthday! Here's to many more! 😁🍻👍

• Like 5

Happy Birthday Nano Reef! 

Nano Reef has given us all friendship, knowing we have a place to go to for help, being able to help others, competing in fun contests, or just reef chat -  that's what makes it a great place.

Thank you to Christopher and all the great people here on Nano.

My first reef tank was a 55g, things were different back when I started but the one thing I remember is the excitement of starting my first reef tank.

I started here on Nano with my 15g and shortly after the 10g

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

10g.jpg

15g.jpg

034.jpg

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic