Pod Your Reef

Nano-Reef.com 18th Birthday! T-Shirt & Sticker Giveaway ๐ŸŽ‰

Christopher Marks

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Been a few months since I was last on here and I return to celebration! Happy 18th NR! This site has been so helpful over the past 4 years and without it I definitely wouldn't be where I am today.

• Like 4
ServingAces15

Congrats on the 18 years!! So happy to be a part of this forum and the great community here. One of my most memorableย memories was when my tank crashed last summer due to my tank getting accidentally shut off by a real estate photographer who was photographing my parentsโ€™ house. I lost my pearly jawfish and my female clownfish. I was so devistated I almost wanted to just sell my tank and be done with it. But this community was so helpful and supportive during that time that I stuck with it and now not only did my tank jump back but I have since upgraded it to a larger tank! (Pictured bellow, a year ago-now)

63A6B421-095F-48F7-A115-F5824B11DA7C.jpeg

E53DEE0B-C4F1-423F-A280-405CC6E502F0.jpeg

• Like 6

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!ย  ย I actually joined on my birthday back in 2017 as a birthday gift to myself.ย  That may seem a little strange but it's been a gift that just keeps on giving and giving.ย  I've "met" so many fun and interesting people here and I've learned so much in a very short time. This place is a refuge for me and I plan on being here for a long time to come.ย ย 

ย 

I started my reefing journeyย with a reef bowl because I was absolutely amazed by @natalia_la_loca's bowl. It was also a good way to get into the hobby fairly inexpensively.ย 
Then one night, I was hanging out with my daughter and the 100 Days of Nano's contest announcement was posted and she said "Dad, you gotta do that!"ย  So I did and had such a good time,ย  although it was a bit stressful being my first "real" tank.ย  ย During that contest, I fell in love with RFA's, which has led me to my 45 gallon with somewhere around 100 adult RFA's and probably around 200 juveniles and babies - too many to count anyway!ย  ย  And now, because I miss myย reefbowl (and coral) so much, I've joined the Old School Pico contest and I'm thrilled to have a small tank again to jam pack with corals!ย  ย Here's to another 18 years N-R!ย  I wonder how many tanks I'll have in that time???

ย 

Here's a pic of my 45g in the morning sun since I don't have a thread for my Flower Farm tank!ย  (Old school pico in the background while it was still in the planning stages!)

ย 

32907973497_d8550a2843_b.jpg

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
Christopher Marks

Thanks everyone who posted fun memories and photos! โค๏ธ The 18 t-shirt & stickerย recipients will be notified later today ๐Ÿ™‚.

• Like 13
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!ย  ย I actually joined on my birthday back in 2017 as a birthday gift to myself.ย  That may seem a little strange but it's been a gift that just keeps on giving and giving.ย  I've "met" so many fun and interesting people here and I've learned so much in a very short time. This place is a refuge for me and I plan on being here for a long time to come.ย ย 

ย 

I started my reefing journeyย with a reef bowl because I was absolutely amazed by @natalia_la_loca's bowl. It was also a good way to get into the hobby fairly inexpensively.ย 
Then one night, I was hanging out with my daughter and the 100 Days of Nano's contest announcement was posted and she said "Dad, you gotta do that!"ย  So I did and had such a good time,ย  although it was a bit stressful being my first "real" tank.ย  ย During that contest, I fell in love with RFA's, which has led me to my 45 gallon with somewhere around 100 adult RFA's and probably around 200 juveniles and babies - too many to count anyway!ย  ย  And now, because I miss myย reefbowl (and coral) so much, I've joined the Old School Pico contest and I'm thrilled to have a small tank again to jam pack with corals!ย  ย Here's to another 18 years N-R!ย  I wonder how many tanks I'll have in that time???

ย 

Here's a pic of my 45g in the morning sun since I don't have a thread for my Flower Farm tank!ย  (Old school pico in the background while it was still in the planning stages!)

ย 

32907973497_d8550a2843_b.jpg

ย 

ย 

ย 

That's a great shot!!

• Thanks 1
On 5/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Thanks everyone who posted fun memories and photos! โค๏ธ The 18 t-shirt & stickerย recipients will be notified later today ๐Ÿ™‚.

You forgot to send me a message :rant:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
Christopher Marks

Thank you everyone for sharing your memories and birthday wishes! It's amazing how far we have come together, I'm looking forward to many more great years!

ย 

Now that I've heard back from (almost) all the winners, here's the official list of people to be a little bit jealous of ๐Ÿ˜„.

1. @748S911
  2. @dchisenh
  3. @Firefish15
  4. @got2envy
  5. @kimdawg
  6. @lizzyann
  7. @MetaTank
  8. @mitten_reef
  9. @patback
  10. @Scorched
  11. @SeaFurn
  12. @shaneandjohn
  13. @Snow_Phoenix
  14. @spazizz
  15. @Tamberav
  16. @TatorTaco
  17. @TILTON
  18. @vlangel

Congrats to the winners, your t-shirts and stickers will be going out in the mail this week! ๐ŸŽ‰

• Like 12
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 4
5 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Thank you everyone for sharing your memories and birthday wishes! It's amazing how far we have come together, I'm looking forward to many more great years!

ย 

Now that I've heard back from (almost) all the winners, here's the official list of people to be a little bit jealous of ๐Ÿ˜„.

1. @748S911
  2. @dchisenh
  3. @Firefish15
  4. @got2envy
  5. @kimdawg
  6. @lizzyann
  7. @MetaTank
  8. @mitten_reef
  9. @patback
  10. @Scorched
  11. @SeaFurn
  12. @shaneandjohn
  13. @Snow_Phoenix
  14. @spazizz
  15. @Tamberav
  16. @TatorTaco
  17. @TILTON
  18. @vlangel

Congrats to the winners, your t-shirts and stickers will be going out in the mail this week! ๐ŸŽ‰

Really, thank you for everything you do. Youโ€™ve kept the site going strong for 18 years, and we wouldnโ€™t have had this opportunity without you. ย I would have never started my first reef tank 8 years ago if it were not for Nano-Reef

ย 

Truly, we are lucky to have a community founder as awesome as you!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

ย 

1. @748S911
  2. @dchisenh
  3. @Firefish15
  4. @got2envy
  5. @kimdawg
  6. @lizzyann
  7. @MetaTank
  8. @mitten_reef
  9. @patback
  10. @Scorched
  11. @SeaFurn
  12. @shaneandjohn
  13. @Snow_Phoenix
  14. @spazizz
  15. @Tamberav
  16. @TatorTaco
  17. @TILTON
  18. @vlangel

Kinda weird must me a typo my names not on the list๐Ÿคจ... you sir need a swag section to purchase merch .. I would gladly pay for a sticker and shirt

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
11 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Kinda weird must me a typo my names not on the list๐Ÿคจ... you sir need a swag section to purchase merch .. I would gladly pay for a sticker and shirt

+1

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

you sir need a swag section to purchase merch .. I would gladly pay for a sticker and shirt

I agree. Iโ€™m also pretty sure some creative members would gladly createย some designs for free!

29 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

+1

+2

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic
On 5/21/2019 at 8:01 PM, Christopher Marks said:

ย 

1. @748S911
  2. @dchisenh
  3. @Firefish15
  4. @got2envy
  5. @kimdawg
  6. @lizzyann
  7. @MetaTank
  8. @mitten_reef
  9. @patback
  10. @Scorched
  11. @SeaFurn
  12. @shaneandjohn
  13. @Snow_Phoenix
  14. @spazizz
  15. @Tamberav
  16. @TatorTaco
  17. @TILTON
  18. @vlangel

Congratulations!

I found this site through another fish forum when I was first getting into the aquarium hobby. I'd always thought you needed a huge tank to be successful in saltwater, and I was in college and was po' so that wasn't in the budget. Then I read that it could be done in 30~ gallons of water on that other forum, then someone mentioned this site....and that was it. Back then 5 gallons was quite small and under 2.5 was teeny and hard to light and filter adequately because there was relatively little equipment available for tiny tanks. I was inspired by c est ma, lalani, el fabuloso, and others. My first saltwater tank (after 6+ months of reading and research) was one of those 1-gallon triangle tanks you can get at Walmart, a little bitty piece of live rock from Petco, and an airline (sounds familiar, right?!). At the time people advocated against using airlines for circulation, something to do with the risk of microbubbles, so as soon as I could I got a small powerhead and used a 25-watt Visitherm Stealth heater (remember those?) that was wedged in diagonally because it was too tall for the tank!ย  I soon moved into a 1.5 Tetra Water Wonders tank and got another piece of Petco rock and then a trip to Raleigh to The Fish Room for my first corals!ย  Wound up with some zoas and palys and then got a beautiful neon green ric and the guy threw in a baby hammer into the same bag, which I think stung the ric because it melted a few days later and I experienced my first tank crash. I couldn't afford anything more so the tank was basically empty till the spring when I upgraded to a 5.5 with a nice little T5 light, still my favorite tank ever.ย  Ah, memories!ย  Wish I could find pics of my tanks back then!ย  It would be a fun trip down memory lane. :happy:

• Like 6
Christopher Marks

Looking good @spazizz! The shirtsย should be pre-shrunk tooย ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

ย 

Such a great memory @Lula_Mae, thank you for sharing!ย It really is incredible how far the hobby has come, particularly with pico reef keeping. That little system you first started with isn't too far off from my 2 gallon pico reef jar that's been up and growing coral since December.ย I never could have imagined these little pico reefs would work long term, all the way back then. Boy were some of us wrong ๐Ÿ˜„. I think what has changed is we have a better understanding of what coral need to grow and thrive, and so so many more great tools to accomplish that. We've also had so many amazing pioneers here in the community document their journeys with pico reefs, pico bowls/jars, the ups and downs, good andย bad, and ultimately their long term successes. I'm lucky to have a well marked path to follow with my little reef jar now. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 4