Pod Your Reef

Nano-Reef.com 18th Birthday! T-Shirt & Sticker Giveaway ๐ŸŽ‰

Christopher Marks

Happy birthday Nano-Reef! I have always been more of a lurker than someone that makes a lot of comments, but I have never seen a more supportive and informative community! I have taken so much inspiration from so many of the tanks on here. Wishing many many more years to come and many many more AWESOME tanks!

• Like 7

Been a long time since I posted around here. Glad to see some familiar faces!
My reefs are long gone, and the last time I even went to the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco was more than a year ago (although I should probably go back again soon). But when I started reefing in 7th grade, this community really encouraged me and taught me so much. I still use all the knowledge I got from making little LED fixtures in my college classes and beyond. Making my touchscreen aquarium controller also taught me so much about programming and organization (or lack thereof), and every once in a while I'll dust off the old Arduino and see how it's doing.
I wasn't a good reefkeeper. I tended to neglect my tanks after a few months or went on vacation and didn't take care of them. But I think I did a pretty good job for my means and my tanks were pretty successful. Today, I spend my time as a Mechanical Engineering major with an Electrical Engineering minor, but the only reason why I started in engineering at all was because of reefkeeping. Funny how things turn out like that.

Thank you so much, Nano-Reef, for answering my dumb questions and calling me out when I was doing dumb stuff. ๐Ÿ˜›ย Can't believe the forum is 18 years old already! I might get back into the aquarium keeping business after college, and maybe finally complete that WiFi aquarium controller. I don't think I'll ever lose my lose my love for a well-kept reef aquarium.

ย 

Thank you,

Anand

• Like 9

I joined here for help to set up this, only been running a few months but Iโ€™m really pleased with it so far, and lots of help and advice on here itโ€™s a great place to comeย 

85C9933E-7BFC-44E0-9788-2115DC4D8633.jpeg

• Like 7

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef! Christopher thank-you so much for creating such a wonderful community. The knowledgeย I learned here gave me the confidence to dive into the saltwater world and start up my first reef tank. Well 8 years and 3 tanks later and I enjoy the hobby more than ever.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This has been every bit like home all these years.ย  I remember the first time being enamored by one of Hype's setups.ย  It was the first time I saw someone putting a fuge on the back of an all in one.ย  That is all she wrote and I was off to the races.ย  Thanks so much for your time, talent and space Christopher!ย  We will never be able to pay you back for this gift!ย  Here's one of the old setups with one of Dave's custom hybrid kit.

ย 

ย 

20140530_194727.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Nano sapiens
On 4/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, Christopher Marks said:

๐ŸŽ‰ย Join me in wishing the Nano-Reef.com Community a Happy 18th Birthday!ย ๐ŸŽˆ

ย 

Happy 18th, Nano-Reef.com!ย ย ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

After all these years...still feels like homeย ย :grouphug:

ย 

For nostalgia's sake, the very first photo of the little 'Ye Olde Mixed Reef Tank' from 10 years ago

ย 

12galnanofrontview.jpg&key=19b5e7ee13280

ย 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I joined this forum back at the start of 2015 at the recommendation of @brad908

ย 

I then lurked for another two years before I decided to setup my current nano. When I say I literally scrounged for everything I could find on Mr. Aqua tanks,12 or 22, nano-reef was the only solid source of info around. Glad to be a part of the community.

ย 

Pretty sure I helped hang the lights from the ceiling for this ol' tank.

And here's my old jam about a month before I joined up:

ย 

• Like 5

Thank you so much for the treasure-trove of guidance and inspiration nano-reef.com has provided over the years. This community has been the most invaluable resource for me since I dove into the hobby nearly a decade ago.

ย 

Happy 18th nano-reef.com!

• Like 5

Still have this tank running but this is a pic of it from my first timeย back home from college in octoberย and all it was an overgrown mess of macro algae. Now the tank is a looks a lotย different (a lot worse lol) but I thought it was cool how our tanks can change for better or worse while weโ€™re away from them.

ย 

Also happy bday nano reef ๐Ÿ˜

99A730FD-FE8C-4A1E-B621-5DCBD4094869.jpeg

• Like 5
Christopher Marks

So many great memories, you guys are making me blush โ˜บ๏ธ

ย 

I love how these aquariums bring us all together, and all the different paths that brought us here!

• Like 16

18 already ??? Man time flies.ย 

ย 

Although I haven't had the chance to meet many of those who I chat with on the regular, I consider you all good friends. The support, and advice that is shared here is second to none. Congrats on 18 years @Christopher Marks , I can't wait to see what the next 18 will bring.ย 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef. This site has been such a great community. I have learned so much and the members are a wealth of knowledge.

ย 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
chathurai

Im from srilanka those who dont no where is srilanka we are island covered by nice reefs,ย  i have started thisย  hobby around 2004. those days i didn't hadย ย ย money to buy airpump or wavemaker i just use small motor and attached tiny tube on top of the motor router and place inside the tank circulate the tank . i had almost 6 tank for past 16 years ,i think im still learning this hobby , you create awesome community thank you for such a awesome place ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 4
Christopher Marks
12 hours ago, rickjg said:

Chris,

Congradulations on 18 great years putting out great info on Nano-Reef. I totally enjoyed spending many hours reading and posting to the forums. Have great memories of my old NC6 nano-reef tank.ย 

ย 

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/58141-open-rick-j-g/#comments

Thanks for being a part all these years! This was a fun journal to revisit, it truly captures the era well! ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

• Like 2
dferrari13

So glad I found nano reef about 5 years ago, the info I have gathered from this forum is priceless and I wouldn't be where I am today in the reefing hobby without this site. Congratulations on 18 years of inspiring and educating!!!ย 

ย 

Before and after shot of my tank below

ย 

ย 

Screenshot_20190501-164118_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190501-164101_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic