Jump to content
ConnorD42

I switched to a Canister Filter

Recommended Posts

Matteo

You people are so intense and stuck in your ways.

 

People are having success with reefs tanks from fricken coffee pots to sun powered full sized tanks. 

 

Also, canister filters have been updated and revised over the years. If the OP gets a decent filter and simply cleans with water changes they literally will have no negative impact. 

 

So far this is all I've read.. "canister filters are nitrate factories"

 

Sure if you're reading a post from like 2008. All the poop and waste you talk about building up... Is it no different through a filter sock and or filter floss? 

 

How is an unmaintained sump with potentially more surface area any different than a maintained canister filter? 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo

For the record, using a Fluval 406 with vinyl hosing on my 55g macro algae predator build. 

 

Using filter sponges, high quality bio pellets, carbon, and purigen. Weekly clean out is all it needs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
hotdrop
20 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

For the record, using a Fluval 406 with vinyl hosing on my 55g macro algae predator build. 

 

Using filter sponges, high quality bio pellets, carbon, and purigen. Weekly clean out is all it needs. 

How are your nitrates and phosphates reading?  Are you using any secondary scrubbing of those? 

It was never super clear to me that canisters didn’t work well it seems like they fell out of favor when Ultra low nutrients were the rage. We know better now and we have better understanding of what works well so hence my curiosity 

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
34 minutes ago, hotdrop said:

How are your nitrates and phosphates reading?  Are you using any secondary scrubbing of those? 

It was never super clear to me that canisters didn’t work well it seems like they fell out of favor when Ultra low nutrients were the rage. We know better now and we have better understanding of what works well so hence my curiosity 

So please don't stone me or tie to me to a rock but I don't own any test kits and do not test my water.... Ever. 

 

For both my skimmerless AIO with thriving coral and my macro predator build (not yet posted). I noticed a little bit of diatoms since the macro build is newer and I just added some fish but other than that so far smooth sailing. My green wolf eel, narrow stripped puffer, and niger trigger are happy and fat. Macro algaes are holding color and looking well and my two small zoa and paly frags are open and well. 

 

So unfortunately I can't report numbers but I can report zero algae issues (I don't count diatoms as they are always temporary), Happy eating fish, and clear clean water. 🙂

 

 

DSC_0205.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tamberav

meh, I just like shit that is easy to clean and takes 2 seconds. Toss the floss and walk out the door to work. There are about a million methods in this hobby, pick one that you are okay with maintaining. Then again I got 6 tanks 🤔

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

meh, I just like shit that is easy to clean and takes 2 seconds. Toss the floss and walk out the door to work. There are about a million methods in this hobby, pick one that you are okay with maintaining. Then again I got 6 tanks 🤔

3 and they all have different filtration 😂

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...