Coral Vue Hydros

I switched to a Canister Filter

ConnorD42

You people are so intense and stuck in your ways.

People are having success with reefs tanks from fricken coffee pots to sun powered full sized tanks. 

Also, canister filters have been updated and revised over the years. If the OP gets a decent filter and simply cleans with water changes they literally will have no negative impact. 

So far this is all I've read.. "canister filters are nitrate factories"

Sure if you're reading a post from like 2008. All the poop and waste you talk about building up... Is it no different through a filter sock and or filter floss? 

How is an unmaintained sump with potentially more surface area any different than a maintained canister filter? 

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

For the record, using a Fluval 406 with vinyl hosing on my 55g macro algae predator build. 

Using filter sponges, high quality bio pellets, carbon, and purigen. Weekly clean out is all it needs. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

For the record, using a Fluval 406 with vinyl hosing on my 55g macro algae predator build. 

Using filter sponges, high quality bio pellets, carbon, and purigen. Weekly clean out is all it needs. 

How are your nitrates and phosphates reading?  Are you using any secondary scrubbing of those? 

It was never super clear to me that canisters didn’t work well it seems like they fell out of favor when Ultra low nutrients were the rage. We know better now and we have better understanding of what works well so hence my curiosity 

34 minutes ago, hotdrop said:

How are your nitrates and phosphates reading?  Are you using any secondary scrubbing of those? 

It was never super clear to me that canisters didn’t work well it seems like they fell out of favor when Ultra low nutrients were the rage. We know better now and we have better understanding of what works well so hence my curiosity 

So please don't stone me or tie to me to a rock but I don't own any test kits and do not test my water.... Ever. 

For both my skimmerless AIO with thriving coral and my macro predator build (not yet posted). I noticed a little bit of diatoms since the macro build is newer and I just added some fish but other than that so far smooth sailing. My green wolf eel, narrow stripped puffer, and niger trigger are happy and fat. Macro algaes are holding color and looking well and my two small zoa and paly frags are open and well. 

So unfortunately I can't report numbers but I can report zero algae issues (I don't count diatoms as they are always temporary), Happy eating fish, and clear clean water. 🙂

DSC_0205.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

DSC_0191.JPG

• Like 1

meh, I just like shit that is easy to clean and takes 2 seconds. Toss the floss and walk out the door to work. There are about a million methods in this hobby, pick one that you are okay with maintaining. Then again I got 6 tanks 🤔

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

meh, I just like shit that is easy to clean and takes 2 seconds. Toss the floss and walk out the door to work. There are about a million methods in this hobby, pick one that you are okay with maintaining. Then again I got 6 tanks 🤔

3 and they all have different filtration 😂

• 3 months later...

4 month update! everything is growing nicely w/o issue. I actually stopped running carbon right before I left for my Co-Op rotation and everything has started looking even better, parameters staying in check, and now dad is re-hooked on reefing and wants this tank when I upgrade (which might be soon because I found a massively tempting deal on a 125 gallon with a stand and sump) 😄 I'd say I'm doing pretty good here! hah!! My little misbar is bulking and coloring up finally too. More zoas added in second picture haha

2019080995143950.jpg

2019082395201146.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone! Just another update on the tank after switching to a canister filter. My 6 months at MBUSI is up and I'll finally be home with my tank again, but dad has been doing an extremely good job keeping after the tank for me. I recently switched lighting and pumps to the Current USA LOOP system and everything has exploded in growth. Another interesting note, I haven't been running carbon for the last 5 months and nutrient levels haven't really changed. With this being said, I also added some marine pure balls to the filter in lieu of some filter pads in one of the three chambers. Overall everything going great at 1.5 years old!

20191127_120144[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Another update! Tank is back at school with me and still thumping on a canister filter! I replaced one chamber of filter pad with about 15-20 marinepure bio balls (~1.25" diameter) which has worked fantastically. Tank is running super clean, glass is the only thing I really have to clean off every so often. Added a few corals recently as well as a little Rainbow RBTA! 

After looking at the December update I've seen some impressive growth from a few of my corals. Other than that- happy and healthy! Got dad a tank as a 'thank you', after letting it cycle for a few weeks I've included a picture of his tank currently as well!

20200126_085037.jpg

20200127_113000.jpg

20200127_113018.jpg

20200126_063040[1].jpg

• Like 3