Top Shelf Aquatics

Muffin's Redish and Greenish Evo 5

Muffin

I'm bored at work so I guess I'll officially make a thread for this tank (seeing as though I have been better at updating lately). I'm going to start the thread with it's current stocking and state. If you want to look at older pictures of the build, I have a pretty extensive record on my Instagram account: pico_reefer. 

Equipment:

- Fluval Evo 5

- MP 10

- Cobalt 50 watt heater

- Kessil a160we

Livestock:

- Gold nugget maroon clownfish (female)

- lightning maroon clownfish (male)

- 1 sexy shrimp

- various types of bubble tip anemones (the original plan was to be a bta only tank).

- mini maxi anemone

- green and red Monti caps

- rainbow Monti

- bubble gum digi

- sunset monti

- yellow and black sun corals 

- dendro

- utter chaos zoas

- green/red bowerbanki

- jack-o'-lantern leptoseris

- branching psammacorra

- space invader pectinia

- a green platygyra?

- darth maul porites

- a two tone red streaky chalice

- sinularia

- toadstool

(The ultimate goal was to keep the theme green and red, I've diverged a little bit but that's ok)

Maintenance:

I typically do at least a 100% water changes weekly if not more (seeing as though it's only roughly 4 gallons of actual water volume)

Long term plan:

I've realized that this is probably not a feasible tank for a long term, I'll probably upgrade to the 13.5 gallon version eventually. I haven't had an issue with nutrient control or algae due to my weekly water changes. The one thing I am concerned about is the size of the maroons (however they are couch potatoes and rarely leave their btas, only to eat and attack my hand lol). All I know is it's pretty difficult to chose a favorite between this system and my 2.5 gallon.

Here are some pictures:

DSLR pic under a whiter spectrum:

20190418092449_IMG_4442.thumb.JPG.2e13e8d2f800e977cba15bd417065ba4.JPG

Blue spectrum with aquariclip:

IMG_20190411_204114.thumb.jpg.b6a0a8832b77eabde52a6896ba49a4a7.jpg

Top down with DSLR:20190418092518_IMG_4445.thumb.JPG.627f1f4e681fe8b6267bf5182fe922de.JPG

Macro of the lighting:

IMG_4383.thumb.JPG.effed05e69766bf919cec693fc3dba49.JPG

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Muffin said:

I'm bored at work so I guess I'll officially make a thread for this tank (seeing as though I have been better at updating lately). I'm going to start the thread with it's current stocking and state. If you want to look at older pictures of the build, I have a pretty extensive record on my Instagram account: pico_reefer. 

Equipment:

- Fluval Evo 5

- MP 10

- Cobalt 50 watt heater

- Kessil a160we

Livestock:

- Gold nugget maroon clownfish (female)

- lightning maroon clownfish (male)

- 1 sexy shrimp

- various types of bubble tip anemones (the original plan was to be a bta only tank).

- mini maxi anemone

- green and red Monti caps

- rainbow Monti

- bubble gum digi

- sunset monti

- yellow and black sun corals 

- dendro

- utter chaos zoas

- green/red bowerbanki

- jack-o'-lantern leptoseris

- branching psammacorra

- space invader pectinia

- a green platygyra?

- darth maul porites

- a two tone red streaky chalice

- sinularia

- toadstool

(The ultimate goal was to keep the theme green and red, I've diverged a little bit but that's ok)

Maintenance:

I typically do at least a 100% water changes weekly if not more (seeing as though it's only roughly 4 gallons of actual water volume)

Long term plan:

I've realized that this is probably not a feasible tank for a long term, I'll probably upgrade to the 13.5 gallon version eventually. I haven't had an issue with nutrient control or algae due to my weekly water changes. The one thing I am concerned about is the size of the maroons (however they are couch potatoes and rarely leave their btas, only to eat and attack my hand lol). All I know is it's pretty difficult to chose a favorite between this system and my 2.5 gallon.

Here are some pictures:

DSLR pic under a whiter spectrum:

20190418092449_IMG_4442.thumb.JPG.2e13e8d2f800e977cba15bd417065ba4.JPG

Blue spectrum with aquariclip:

IMG_20190411_204114.thumb.jpg.b6a0a8832b77eabde52a6896ba49a4a7.jpg

Top down with DSLR:20190418092518_IMG_4445.thumb.JPG.627f1f4e681fe8b6267bf5182fe922de.JPG

Macro of the lighting:

IMG_4383.thumb.JPG.effed05e69766bf919cec693fc3dba49.JPG

Looks good. 😊 That second pic is awesome. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks good. 😊 That second pic is awesome. 

Thank you! I wish I was better photographer to capture what the tank actually looks like in person. It's somewhere between the first and second picture. I find that the filter for the camera with blues really embellishes what the corals/anemones actually looks like in person. 

• Like 1

Your tank looks great.  Do you have any coral warfare going on.  The one time I had a BTA he would move a little when I least expected it, and sit right next to my other coral. 

I am thinking about putting a very tiny regular clown fish in my 2.5 gal contest tank in a month or so.  It would just be a very short time until I was sure it was healthy and then he would be added in to the 75 gal as a mate for my other clown.  Based on your experience with 2 clowns in a 5 gal. do you think this would work?

• Like 1

Thanks! Yeah I've had to do a little shuffling with the corals as expected with the btas. In terms of a clownfish in a 2.5, if it's hosting an anemone or coral and it doesn't swim around much I don't see a reason why not to (if you can keep the water quality clean). That is likely an unpopular opinion though, so be prepared for people disagreeing with you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

May update:

• No livestock changes as far as I can remember, nothing else to report.

May pictures:

IMG_4583.thumb.JPG.927d62a8fd16b96007ad2834645a5f09.JPG

I love these clowns

IMG_4573.thumb.JPG.1072dd8e6b6723b9c24d50ad1104c4a3.JPG

IMG_4576.thumb.JPG.f6f0b747b4df2caaebbaec984048c991.JPG

The montis seem to be growing pretty well

IMG_4581.thumb.JPG.0c90ad908c8fd67f86bb70e1c3cae873.JPG

OOF well this tank thread was short lived, unfortunately I messed up and didn't turn back the pumps after feeding the tank at night. I got home from work with the maroons dead, and most of the livestock not happy. I decided to move the living livestock to my new system and to break down this tank. It truly is a bummer to see this tank end like this 😞. The mushroom Pico will remain running.

• Sad 1