Cultivated Reef

talbot damselfish aggression

darndamsel

Hi there,

I have a recently setup 20g tank. It cycled fine and I have added (over a good couple of months) a couple of corals a CUC and 2 weeks ago, 3 Talbot Damselfish. The LFS person recommended them and I read they are good beginner fish, so we added 3. Overall I really like them  - active and interesting, but one of them is a real jerk to the others. It chases the 2 around (including one that is much smaller) the tank quite a bit. I've read damsels can be aggressive and I was told by the LFS that adding 3 would help prevent one from getting picked on, but it doesn't seem to be the case. In short, my question is, is this normal behaviour and nothing I should worry about, or will this stress out the other 2 that get chased? I'm pretty sure this is kind of normal, I'm just hoping the other 2 aren't too stressed. There are no other fish in the tank. I have a nice rock arch with plenty of places to hide. I feed every other day.

Thanks!

So take 2 of them back and just have the one damsel? Perhaps then add a couple of clowns and call it a day. Any other fish you would suggest instead of clowns? 

Alas, the largest is dow in the corner of the tank now. I think the other was picking on it too much :(. 

Anyone have a suggestion for a few fish to introduce to a new tank together? Various species, same species, odd numbers?

I would just keep 1 damsel. 

A royal gramma would be a nice addition, they can be bossy just like damsels and typically hardy. Clowns are fine too, just stick to percs or occy kinds. 

A goby and pistol shrimp would work too if you have sand or even a yellow-headed jawfish (but you need a secure top with NO gaps). 

10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I would just keep 1 damsel. 

A royal gramma would be a nice addition, they can be bossy just like damsels and typically hardy. Clowns are fine too, just stick to percs or occy kinds. 

A goby and pistol shrimp would work too if you have sand or even a yellow-headed jawfish (but you need a secure top with NO gaps). 

Well, down to 2 damsels now, gulp 😐 Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let things settle a bit and then look into adding more.

I'd get rid of the damsels.

I had a Talbot's damsel for many months and eventually I returned it to the fish store. It was a beautiful, interesting, and active fish but it made the tank a really tense place. I added the fish last, and everything started out ok, but eventually the damsel started picking fights with everyone. It came to completely dominate the larger Clownfish, and the only fish that would stand up to it was the Tail-Spot Blenny interestingly enough. Good luck!

4 hours ago, FLARGUE said:

I'd get rid of the damsels.

I had a Talbot's damsel for many months and eventually I returned it to the fish store. It was a beautiful, interesting, and active fish but it made the tank a really tense place. I added the fish last, and everything started out ok, but eventually the damsel started picking fights with everyone. It came to completely dominate the larger Clownfish, and the only fish that would stand up to it was the Tail-Spot Blenny interestingly enough. Good luck!

Interesting. No other fish for them to pester now, just the larger pestering the smaller. Tense is the right word. Maybe I'll return them this weekend. thanks