Cultivated Reef

JP's 2.5: The AcroJacked Islands

Justin_Luke

Justin_Luke

I'm joining the contest a little late, but you know, better late than never! I'll get right down to it!

Tank - Aqueon 2.5 

Light - ABI Tuna Blue Par 38 on a gooseneck lamp

Filter - aquaclear 10

Circulation pump - $8 amazon 80gph fountain pump. (I love these things, super cheap, super small, and very quiet)

Heater - Tetra 2.5 watt 

Media - nano blue carbon and filter floss

Livestock - ALL THE ACROS (and probably GSP because i cant help myself)

I've been wanting to do a tank like thos for a while, and this competition as given me the perfect platform 🙂. Its pretty simple really. I found dry rock that I liked, shaped it for a little bit and then let in cure in some salt water for a while. I then took some pairs a very powerful but small magnets and used super glue to attach them to the back of the rock. It attached to the tank just like many power heads do. For now ive decided to go bare bottom. I have never done a sand free tank before but I'm curious to see how it turns out! The Tank is still finishing up its cycle, so for now i just have some snails in it, but i definitely want to throw some sexy shrimp in there too. Let me know what you think of the scape! 

IMG_6136.thumb.JPG.15f29a410ef3f76ecb61a55510b87c08.JPGIMG_6137.thumb.JPG.dcf86f951686cbb357eaf2766c764ceb.JPG20190418_215939.thumb.jpg.6468754066859b39d72ec78544bd139f.jpg

• Like 11
7 minutes ago, Justin_Luke said:

I'm joining the contest a little late, but you know, better late than never! I'll get right down to it!

Tank - Aqueon 2.5 

Filter - aquaclear 10

Circulation pump - $8 amazon 80gph fountain pump. (I love these things, super cheap, super small, and very quiet)

Heater - Tetra 2.5 watt 

I've been wanting to do a tank like thos for a while, and this competition as given me the perfect platform 🙂. Its pretty simple really. I found dry rock that I liked, shaped it for a little bit and then let in cure in some salt water for a while. I then took some pairs a very powerful but small magnets and used super glue to attach them to the back of the rock. It attached to the tank just like many power heads do. For now ive decided to go bare bottom. I have never done a sand free tank before but I'm curious to see how it turns out! The Tank is still finishing up its cycle, so for now i just have some snails in it, but i definitely want to throw some sexy shrimp in there too. Let me know what you think of the scape! 

IMG_6136.thumb.JPG.15f29a410ef3f76ecb61a55510b87c08.JPGIMG_6137.thumb.JPG.dcf86f951686cbb357eaf2766c764ceb.JPG20190418_215939.thumb.jpg.6468754066859b39d72ec78544bd139f.jpg

Nice! 😃

Welcome to the party! I might do some easy sps like stylophora, but it should be neat to see an sps dominant tank! Lookin forward to it

Justin_Luke

Yeah im sure im going to struggle keeping my ALK and CA where they are supposed to be, but I'm looking at this as more of an experiment i guess 

Justin_Luke

39 minutes ago, ksadam said:

Liking the Southern Grove Peanuts 😎 I put an acro in my tank I’ll see how it turns out. Definitely following along 👍

Haha thanks, they are my go to snack! Also you're from Wichita?! That's where I grew up!

2 hours ago, Justin_Luke said:

Haha thanks, they are my go to snack! Also you're from Wichita?! That's where I grew up!

Yessir been here 17 years, and I work for Aldi which is why I noticed the peanuts lol

Justin_Luke
8 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Welcome to the contest!

glad to see more people join!

love the aquascape!

how did you manage to do that?

I chose some very porous and lightweight pieces of live rock and then just super glued a very powerful magnet to the back of it. Once the glue dried I put it in my tank and used another magnet on the outside of the tank to hold it in place 

Justin_Luke
7 hours ago, seabass said:

The floating rocks is a nice effect with a bare bottom tank.  Nice, different, interesting scape.

Thanks, trying to be as unique as possible lol. Although I’m not sure how the islands will look once I start putting coral on them

Justin_Luke
1 hour ago, asting said:

You should grow a gsp bottom for a grassy field look.

Or hair algae.

I might just go with a hair Algae dominated tank, you know to make things easier 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
21 hours ago, Justin_Luke said:

Tank - Aqueon 2.5 

Filter - aquaclear 10

Heater - Tetra 2.5 watt 

I want a floating island now!! lol

• 2 weeks later...
Justin_Luke

Things in the Acrojacked Islands are going well, but slow. My parameters have stabilized and so I have begun to add some corals. For now I added a frag of Green birdsnest, a green "the thing" acro, and some gsp. I might just let the gsp cover the bottom, but I'm not sure yet. I ended up taking the heater out because it was keeping the tank too warm and there was no way to adjust it. Things definitely seem happier with the heater gone. Also, I believe the light I have for the tank is too intense. Its pushing over 450 PAR in the dead center of the tank. I raised it as much as I could, but the fixture will only go so high. I'm considering getting some screen to put over the top. Anyone have any other suggestions? 

20190503_134705.jpg

20190503_134717.jpg

20190503_134742.jpg

20190503_134754.jpg

20190503_134808.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Justin_Luke

Sooo, I wish I had better progress to share, but life is crazy trying to make it in the world of marine biology. As a result I have barely maintained this tank. The green acro has burned tips from too much light, but the birdsnest is doing really well. I cant move the light up any higher so i need to look into some way of shading it. Unfortunately when you dont really touch your tank no progress occurs so there isn't much to share, but hopefully soon. BUT, (prepare for shameless plug) the lab I work in has been heavily involved in a coral rescue project here in south Florida. So while I havent been able to tend to my tank much, it't due to having been working with hundreds of corals in this project. Here's the link if you want to check it out!

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/fl-ne-coral-reef-rescue-nsu-20190523-kokgqjtnhrh7dhqusg2k6aioiq-story.html

Also here are some "progress" pictures 

20190529_175312.thumb.jpg.493e9bea2fc348f0d3bf4dff59540ed6.jpg20190529_175317.thumb.jpg.4ffa8aecd8363fb6ca9f73d871f80265.jpg

• Like 3
Justin_Luke
9 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow that is a huge project. Fingers crossed for the best results. Is this group involved in finding the cause at all?

at this point our priority it providing a refuge for these corals and keeping them healthy/growing until the disease (Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease) either subsides or its cause is known. Many other labs are working on trying to identify the cause

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Justin_Luke said:

at this point our priority it providing a refuge for these corals and keeping them healthy/growing until the disease (Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease) either subsides or its cause is known. Many other labs are working on trying to identify the cause

Keep up the good fight