SaltCritters.com

Best circulation pumps for shallow tank

jlee

Hey all,

I'm currently on a shopping spree, stocking up while I have a custom tank built (Crystal Reef Aquatics in Bellingham, WA). Tank specs are 36x24x12 with 1/2" low-iron glass. I'm trying to decide what I want to do for circulation...I was thinking about doing 2 MP10s but I guess 1/2" glass is too thick. I could do just one MP40 but I would lose the benefit of the two fans working in tandem to create some of those unique flows that the MPs are known for.

I was just curious what you guys think? I'm planning on keeping a mix of SPS and LPS. There are so many options that sometimes it's just analysis paralysis.

9 hours ago, Naekuh said:

gyre for a 36 inch long 24 wide tank.  

You will get the best coverage from a single circulation pump off a gyre on a tank that size

I was thinking about this pump (the XF330) but was concerned it may be a bit powerful for a tank so shallow. Do you have one of these yourself?

10 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

2 Aqamai KPS would be good.

You can customize your flow completely to your tanks needs.

Is there anything unique about the KPS pumps? A quick skim makes it seem like they're just wifi-connected standard pumps

I have a mp10 on 1/2 inch acrylic for years now without falling but guessing glass may be a different story. 

1 hour ago, jlee said:

Is there anything unique about the KPS pumps? A quick skim makes it seem like they're just wifi-connected standard pumps

They are controllable from a phone app but the one major flaw I see is I don't think they can be set to slave/master to work together when using multiples? Which is weird because Jebao can do this now.

I am waiting for AI to upgrade the Nero 5 magnet, they claim 1/2 glass but there are numerous posts and complaints that it does not work on 1/2 inch glass so that is out too.

It looks like the eflux pump comes in different sizes and can work on 1/2 inch glass and can be linked? I don't know much about them but looks like it is worth checking out. People seem to be happy with them. Looks like you buy a kit then buy stand-alone pumps to add more to the controller? It also looks like you can purchase a bluetooth controller to control them from a phone which adds some features like night mode. This adds more $ though.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA_eFlux_Wave_Complete_Pump_Kit-CU06000-FIPH-vi.html

Tunze is another brand to look into. 

1 hour ago, jlee said:

I was thinking about this pump (the XF330) but was concerned it may be a bit powerful for a tank so shallow. Do you have one of these yourself?

my friend has one. 

Its a wonderful pump.

I bought the jebao knock off but it was just too strong for my cube. 

You have almost double the length of my tank, so a gyre should work out nice.

And they pulse so you can easily stimulate wave function,

If my tank was ever that long, even 24 inches long, i would still grab a gyre and sit it close to the top.  

I got a gyre on my 22g.... it moves a lot of water.... definitely not as durable as other pumps. I had to replace the magnet as it started to expand/rust so water must have gotten inside and I had to replace all the bearings. It is a pain to clean. Mine is an older version though so perhaps the new ones they just released will hold up better. They added some flow director things to them so you can use them near the surface.

I don't feel it will be enough for a SPS dominated system but should work fine for a mixed reef. 

We have a lot of options these days which makes choosing hard. 😛 For nano tanks.... it used to be... either you had the $ for Vortech... or you didn't and used Koralia. 

11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

either you had the $ for Vortech... or you didn't and used Koralia. 

I think i was always the type where you bought cheap, expected it to die but also expected to quickly replace it.  

I have spares for everything, im using mostly jebao / aquatop brand stuff except my really important stuff like lights.

I cant count how many people have told me, you can cheap on most stuff but never the lights.

I dont expect them to be anywhere near durable as ecotech or sicce, but they cost 1/4th of them.

When they do break, i'll just replace them instead of repair them, because i like new stuff.

Sigh when someone told me salt water reef tanks was like having a fireplace with 5 dollar bills as fuel, and watching it burn each time, they were not kidding.  :T 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Naekuh said:

Sigh when someone told me salt water reef tanks was like having a fireplace with 5 dollar bills as fuel, and watching it burn each time, they were not kidding.  :T 

This is so true 😭

I'm leaning towards the Gyre XF330. I really wish the MP10  could be used reliably on 1/2" glass, I really like the cordless wet side and the ability to use two in tandem. I have a feeling if I put 2 Gyres I would create a tsunami

8 hours ago, jlee said:

You can completely customize settings of the wave maker to have a mixture of flows, how strong of flow, wave maker settings, etc.

It's not just connect and go unless you pick a preset schedule. 

Look at the jeabo cross flow series. Its Chinese stuff but is good quality and moves sooooo much water.  Also controllable and only 100 bucks . Cant beat it imo...