Pod Your Reef

Does more flow make the tank feel bigger?

HingleMcCringleberry

HingleMcCringleberry

Hi all.

I picked up a coral beauty angelfish for my 30-gallon tank. My 30 has most of my collection of corals and I got unlucky and got a coral beauty that picks on all of them. I also have a 20-gallon tank set up that isn't fully stocked yet so I have moved the fish to that tank. I think 20 gallons is a little small for a fish that size and I had an Idea that I thought might help but I want to get advice first.

I've posted to this forum before about getting a tang and everyone informed me of their need to do lots of swimming and that my tanks just couldn't provide the needed swimming space. That got me thinking. If bigger fish or fish with a more active lifestyle need to get more exercise to be healthy and happy then could I supplement more tank space with more water flow. Obviously, it would never be a substitute for actual swimming room but if I increase the flow a lot would the tank maybe feel larger to the fish since it needs to swim harder to get from one side to the other? Could increasing the flow help my coral beauty be healthier and happier in my 20 gallon?

Right now my 20 has a small powerhead that is rated for 200 gph and a hang-off protein skimmer and two hang-off filters that add some flow as well. I have a bubble tip anemone in my 20 and it's in a perfect location where it can't bother my zoas and frogspawn which are the only corals in the 20. I don't want a change in flow to inspire my nem to pack up and move so I don't want to add more flow if I don't have to. But I'm totally prepared to take that risk if you all recommend that more flow will help a larger fish feel more at home in a borderline tolerable tank. Let me know what you all think!

Flow is good for fish and their health but it doesn't do much for creating space or the feel of more space.

Some fish require a lot of swimming room, it's in their nature.

Tangs for example continuously swim and swim great distances, that's why small tanks are inappropriate for them leading to bad health/stunted growth. 

• Like 2
HingleMcCringleberry
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Flow is good for fish and their health but it doesn't do much for creating space or the feel of more space.

Some fish require a lot of swimming room, it's in their nature.

Tangs for example continuously swim and swim great distances, that's why small tanks are inappropriate for them leading to bad health/stunted growth. 

Unless consensus is that I should seek out another reefer or ask my LFS to rehome the coral beauty he is going to stay in my 20 gallon. I’m happy to keep him there and certainly don’t prefer to give him up but I’m worried he doesn’t have enough space. 

Basically. If I can keep him in my 20 will high flow make the difference between a good home and a bad one? Even if it doesn’t feel bigger to the fish will compensating in another category of preferred tank conditions help balance out the poor space requirements I can offer?

3 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

Unless consensus is that I should seek out another reefer or ask my LFS to rehome the coral beauty he is going to stay in my 20 gallon. I’m happy to keep him there and certainly don’t prefer to give him up but I’m worried he doesn’t have enough space. 

Basically. If I can keep him in my 20 will high flow make the difference between a good home and a bad one? Even if it doesn’t feel bigger to the fish will compensating in another category of preferred tank conditions help balance out the poor space requirements I can offer?

A coral beauty requires a 75 gallon or larger tank. Flow will not make up for that. They are a beautiful fish but you should let it go. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
HingleMcCringleberry

It’s not a 20 long btw. Or a 20 tall either. Just the tv screen shaped one ahaha. So horizontal swimming room isn’t as big as it could be in a 20 long. Just for reference in anyone’s recommendations. Also heavily stocked on live rock. About 40% open swimming area. And lots of passages through the rock large enough that he swims through them all day. Not just a solid wall. 

HingleMcCringleberry
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

A coral beauty requires a 75 gallon or larger tank. Flow will not make up for that. They are a beautiful fish but you should let it go. 

Oh really?!  I thought in asking online and reading online and asking my LFS (please trust me I didn’t just buy it without research) that a 30 gallon would be ok for a coral beauty. And 20 would be a little smaller than recommended. This is the first I’m hearing about 75 gallon requirements!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

Oh really?!  I thought in asking online and reading online and asking my LFS (please trust me I didn’t just buy it without research) that a 30 gallon would be ok for a coral beauty. And 20 would be a little smaller than recommended. This is the first I’m hearing about 75 gallon requirements!

Here are clips from three different online vendors with recommendations ranging from 50-70 gallons minimum.  Angels also need established aquariums so that there is food to eat off the rocks. They are grazers like Tangs. 

FA8BAE64-B778-4016-8F0C-D72675D4382D.thumb.jpeg.9930b35e0dd8b87f33a82077b22b5f07.jpeg

BCEB560A-CF2D-4A27-9C46-04FEF5773C50.thumb.jpeg.4d7ca23b8ab2919ccc648335e5deab44.jpeg

B2BEF49D-1AE5-4235-A1F8-3E91F2C6D24B.thumb.jpeg.831a91078dec045c3f8941c52a30da23.jpeg

• Like 1
HingleMcCringleberry
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Here are clips from three different online vendors with recommendations ranging from 50-70 gallons minimum.  Angels also need established aquariums so that there is food to eat off the rocks. They are grazers like Tangs. 

FA8BAE64-B778-4016-8F0C-D72675D4382D.thumb.jpeg.9930b35e0dd8b87f33a82077b22b5f07.jpeg

BCEB560A-CF2D-4A27-9C46-04FEF5773C50.thumb.jpeg.4d7ca23b8ab2919ccc648335e5deab44.jpeg

B2BEF49D-1AE5-4235-A1F8-3E91F2C6D24B.thumb.jpeg.831a91078dec045c3f8941c52a30da23.jpeg

I can’t deny that’s pretty strong evidence. Please forgive me though if I wait for others to weigh in before drawing any conclusions. He is being well fed. Although I don’t have an algae problem there are scraps of it that he loves to pick at. And I provide a diet of a good brand of marine pellets, veggie flakes (although ingredients are largely meatier foods), veggie wafers (actual pure veggie mix), frozen mysis, and nori. I vary it from day to day but it’s usually a mix of one plus the pellets because my watchman goby seems to miss out on food if it doesn’t sink quickly because my clowns and coral beauty finish off everything else before it can sink. 

6 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

I can’t deny that’s pretty strong evidence. Please forgive me though if I wait for others to weigh in before drawing any conclusions. He is being well fed. Although I don’t have an algae problem there are scraps of it that he loves to pick at. And I provide a diet of a good brand of marine pellets, veggie flakes (although ingredients are largely meatier foods), veggie wafers (actual pure veggie mix), frozen mysis, and nori. I vary it from day to day but it’s usually a mix of one plus the pellets because my watchman goby seems to miss out on food if it doesn’t sink quickly because my clowns and coral beauty finish off everything else before it can sink. 

If three separate fish vendors can’t sway you then that’s on you. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I have an Angel and I know how much they swim. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
HingleMcCringleberry
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

If three separate fish vendors can’t sway you then that’s on you. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I have an Angel and I know how much they swim. 

So far when choosing fish I’ve used an average of recommendations to decide what I can fit. Almost everywhere I checked online said 30 gallons min. My LFS said 20 gals min while it’s small and 30 min if it grows near that max of 4 inches. I have a friend who cautioned against 20 but said it could work if I watch for signs of unhappy behavior (2 inch fish). And yes I’ve seen other vendors and forums online recommending up to 50 gallons min. So I thought 30 was safe and I’ve been pretty uncomfortable about 20. Your references do cause me a lot of concern. I’m just stunned how far they are from what I’ve been referencing. 

Ugh. I’ve just grown so attached to the fish. His name became Dennis after he started nipping at corals in the 30 (because Dennis is a bastard man). And he acts healthy (no pacing or sitting still either and great appetite). If I’m honest it’s just so hard to convince myself even with some solid new evidence. But you’re almost certainly right. I’m holding out hope others might tell me I’m ok. Otherwise I can’t deny you’re right and I’ll have to say goodbye. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

So far when choosing fish I’ve used an average of recommendations to decide what I can fit. Almost everywhere I checked online said 30 gallons min. My LFS said 20 gals min while it’s small and 30 min if it grows near that max of 4 inches. I have a friend who cautioned against 20 but said it could work if I watch for signs of unhappy behavior (2 inch fish). And yes I’ve seen other vendors and forums online recommending up to 50 gallons min. So I thought 30 was safe and I’ve been pretty uncomfortable about 20. Your references do cause me a lot of concern. I’m just stunned how far they are from what I’ve been referencing. 

Ugh. I’ve just grown so attached to the fish. His name became Dennis after he started nipping at corals in the 30 (because Dennis is a bastard man). And he acts healthy (no pacing or sitting still either and great appetite). If I’m honest it’s just so hard to convince myself even with some solid new evidence. But you’re almost certainly right. I’m holding out hope others might tell me I’m ok. Otherwise I can’t deny you’re right and I’ll have to say goodbye. 

Its not the first time a LFS gave really bad advice to sell a fish. All you have to do though is look around and ask yourself how many coral beauty angels do you see on NR? - there is your answer. They are a gorgeous fish that many reef keepers would love to have but is not suitable in small environments.  

I’m not trying to give you a hard time about it, I just wanted you to have the facts. I did another google search and cannot find a single source that mentions a tank smaller than a 50 gallons.  

20 is too small in my opinion.  I had a coral beauty in a 100 gallon back in the day. Find someone with a larger tank to give him to or return to LFS.

• Like 1
HingleMcCringleberry
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Its not the first time a LFS gave really bad advice to sell a fish. All you have to do though is look around and ask yourself how many coral beauty angels do you see on NR? - there is your answer. They are a gorgeous fish that many reef keepers would love to have but is not suitable in small environments.  

I’m not trying to give you a hard time about it, I just wanted you to have the facts. I did another google search and cannot find a single source that mentions a tank smaller than a 50 gallons.  

Shoot.  You’re totally right. I thought it was the same as the flame angel. I bought a couple of reef keeping books that both did say 30 for flame and coral beauty. I researched flame a lot but in the end decided on coral beauty. I feel really stupid not double checking that. Definitely gonna find Dennis a new home. Glad I asked the forum!

• Like 1

A coral beauty needs a larger tank.

20g is not appropriate for it.

You don't need 50 hobbyists to agree to that, there is tons of info available online about the fishes requirements.

LFS lie all the time, its sales, it's making money and moving merchandise.

• Like 1