inTank Media Baskets

Proxo Fluval Evo 13.5

Proxo

If the back is clear acrylic without any black vinyl or anything on it, I suggest mounting the refugium light externally on the outside of the tank (pointing towards the front of the system). This will expose your Chaeto to the most even lighting and will prevent it from shading itself as it grows.

Looks pretty sweet! I wish I had the bandwidth to design and build stuff like this. Heaven knows what I would end up with; probably some sort of Frankenstein's laboratory a la @Wonderboy😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, billygoat said:

If the back is clear acrylic without any black vinyl or anything on it, I suggest mounting the refugium light externally on the outside of the tank (pointing towards the front of the system). This will expose your Chaeto to the most even lighting and will prevent it from shading itself as it grows.

Looks pretty sweet! I wish I had the bandwidth to design and build stuff like this. Heaven knows what I would end up with; probably some sort of Frankenstein's laboratory a la @Wonderboy😄

Was just thinking about that when i checked out some refugium lights, but i'll be honest i didn't think of the shadowing from above.
gonna have a few too many beers tonight so will prob drunk order the tank
even though i said to myself to plan it all first 😄

Just need somewhere to put my evo and freshwater tank so i can start working things out lol.
AH IM EXCITED, i'm sending @Ratvan the bill for making me want a bigger tank, i just can't get it out of my head.

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Was just thinking about that when i checked out some refugium lights, but i'll be honest i didn't think of the shadowing from above.
gonna have a few too many beers tonight so will prob drunk order the tank
even though i said to myself to plan it all first 😄

Just need somewhere to put my evo and freshwater tank so i can start working things out lol.
AH IM EXCITED, i'm sending @Ratvan the bill for making me want a bigger tank, i just can't get it out of my head.

😅😅😅

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
On 10/24/2019 at 8:13 AM, Proxo said:

Ok brain is now free; I've done the final design to every damn millimeter.
But will it work? I've no idea 😄 But it looks good imo. 

Now to find a buyer for my 60L freshwater fluval spec (looks same as an evo) then order the 140L and attempt to make my own aio without getting angry at the mess i will most likely make.

Aquarium Design Final..jpg

That is pretty rad what size acrylic were you planning on using? .220 acrylic?

• Like 1

I like @Gravity's suggetions a lot - something to consider - I would just do one media basket on one side with deeper-cut overflow slots [allowing less restirciton] and the other side can act as the "emergency/flow regulation" with higher cut overflow slots. The flow through the media will not be constant, so letting it flow somewhere to the pumps without restriction will prevent any back-up. Also, less media to replace during maintenance. And however you do the lighting, I suggest blocking the pumps' intakes from as much light as possible so that chaeto doesn't grow towards those.

• Like 2

Open to all options/advice, it'll be a slow process mind you. 
although i can confirm;
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR PURCHASE!"
just hope i can manage to lift the tank on my own as it says the driver will not help, or my neighbour is in.... 

• Like 2

Can you jump start a reef tank cycle like with freshwater with just moving the media over? 
i'll prob do a full cycle on this tank but wondering for a temp frag tank, if/when needed. 

20 minutes ago, Proxo said:

Can you jump start a reef tank cycle like with freshwater with just moving the media over? 
i'll prob do a full cycle on this tank but wondering for a temp frag tank, if/when needed. 

Yes to a certain extent, you may see a small die off. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...