SaltCritters.com

Proxo Fluval Evo 13.5

Proxo

Complete algae nuked while i have been self inflicted ill in bed for a few days.
I know which part of the lineย "Party hard or go home" i will be doing next time.

Anyway apart from the algae, the frags are growing nicely - i'll get some pics once i clear this algae up.
My main zoa isn't looking too healthy but the rest are doing fine (i think mr crabs is eating it tbh).

ANY IDEA what this is? There's one on the acan and one on the Zoa's.
Little orange thing with i'd say a deep purple kind of shell,ย 

P_20190713_172701.jpg

P_20190713_172725.jpg

• Like 1

Could be - hard to see on the pics, does it have like a spiral tube going? When I had mine in my first tank, I didn't see web until at night.

ย 

They are usually harmless filter feeders but the web does irritate some corals. You could always take care of them by glueing their tube shutย or crush base and remove.

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

Looks like some tubed creature to me. Most likely harmless. Do you dip corals? I use Two Little Fishies Revive, and will always inspect my frags before they go in my tank.ย  I use the lighted magnifying headband below. I have an old kitchen knife I use to pry things like in your pic off the frags, I will even scrap the little white tubes off. ย 

ย 

After finding some nasties on my frags, I have started with this process. Dip corals, pop them off the frag plugs (if you can, some are too fragile), and superglue them onto new frag plugs. Place them on a frag rack (I got a 6 frag magnetic rack from Oceanbox), and observe them. The magnifying headlamp is pretty good for this, as well as staring at your tank at night.ย  Place the corals after a day or so, into their prospective spots. Once you are happy with the placement, or get tired of your crabs knocking the frags over, pull them out, pop them off the plugs, see if you can pop off the super glue, and mount them on the rock in their final spot.ย 

ย 

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor-Head-Worn-Magnifier-CP-60/dp/B007CDJKM2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R3V1B48WQ5WD&keywords=carson+headband+magnifier+with+light&qid=1563068029&s=gateway&sprefix=carson+head%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-3

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel91 said:

Could be - hard to see on the pics, does it have like a spiral tube going? When I had mine in my first tank, I didn't see web until at night.

ย 

They are usually harmless filter feeders but the web does irritate some corals. You could always take care of them by glueing their tube shutย or crush base and remove.

ย 

ย 

I'll try get some better picture tomorrow, i took them with my phone that you can't even see the screen LOL.
the one on the zoanthid, yeah kind of a deformed tube and some white (i think) tenticles popping out sometimes.
The coral i've spotted it on has been dying off pretty slowly and i just thought my emerald crab got a taste for it but he doesn't seem to bother the
other zoa's that are uber tiny on frag plugs.ย 
ย 

38 minutes ago, Garf said:

Looks like some tubed creature to me. Most likely harmless. Do you dip corals? I use Two Little Fishies Revive, and will always inspect my frags before they go in my tank.ย  I use the lighted magnifying headband below. I have an old kitchen knife I use to pry things like in your pic off the frags, I will even scrap the little white tubes off. ย 

ย 

After finding some nasties on my frags, I have started with this process. Dip corals, pop them off the frag plugs (if you can, some are too fragile), and superglue them onto new frag plugs. Place them on a frag rack (I got a 6 frag magnetic rack from Oceanbox), and observe them. The magnifying headlamp is pretty good for this, as well as staring at your tank at night.ย  Place the corals after a day or so, into their prospective spots. Once you are happy with the placement, or get tired of your crabs knocking the frags over, pull them out, pop them off the plugs, see if you can pop off the super glue, and mount them on the rock in their final spot.ย 

ย 

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MagniVisor-Head-Worn-Magnifier-CP-60/dp/B007CDJKM2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=R3V1B48WQ5WD&keywords=carson+headband+magnifier+with+light&qid=1563068029&s=gateway&sprefix=carson+head%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-3

I do coral dip mate, exactly the same product - would recommend it too, seen a lot of nasty stuff coming out of live rock with it
ย but as you said, i do need to start taking more care when introducing new corals. It's weird how it's on my 2 oldest corals, i've checked the rest as it's all on plugs and looks fine.

Do i have an excuse for a frag tank ? ๐Ÿ˜„

Lol, I came up with that same excuse. Thank goodness Oceanbox design's 4.3g frag tank was out of stock, else I'd have something else to tinker with.

ย 

While waiting for the camera, i'm currently working out turnover rate of water/tank.
Now i'm seriously bad at math (guess my ex got a kick out of it as she had a masters degree in the damn thing LOL)

Anyway, i THINK this is right?

Stock Pump - 500 lph = 132 gph
Tannk 13g
500รท13g = 38.46 lph = 10 gph.ย 
10รท13 Turnover rate 0.76 gph

I hear the recommended turnover rate is 6x to 10x. What do you guys aim for?
Then there's the fight of water flow through chambers (constant flow) + Wavemaker.

So i'm going to have to try work a good balance here ๐Ÿ˜„

27 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Anything 3x to 5x usually.

Yeah cheers buddy, i just worked it out with my Eheim 1000 and SW2 on Full and that's say 6x and i think the fish need a surf board.
I'll keep the Eheim on full and the SW2 i'll adjust, throw the power up every now and again to get the junk ๐Ÿ˜„

• Like 1

I am trying for anything 5x-10x. I set my Tunze on its lowest setting, which should have given me 5x, but that really messed with my flow. Plus, any buildup on the pump really reduced the flow. And the kicker was that it still was using 5.6watts at its lowest setting. So I now have about 8-10x, and one of my nozzles is pointing down to the one area I want high flow. The other is at surface providing agitation. My two Current eFlux pumps are on the back wall, synced for a 1sec wave flow. This gives me a good flow around my tank for all the other LPS. Try as I might, I couldn't get a good placement to provide the higher flow to the one area, and good flow around the other sides. Part of that was because of my constraint of not putting a powerhead at the front of the tank, so ugly on peninsula tanks imo.ย 

• Like 1

what is the last line in your calc?

The stock pump was spec'd for that magic number of 10x turnover rate.ย  But I think that is kind of old school, 5x should be fine. In my experience, there is no fight between return pump and wavepumps, the return pump will get its water regardless if the wavepumps are at full power or not. I really don't like the idea of using the return for tank flow when you have wavepumps, but as it is there, I am using it.ย 

ย 

What I would love to see is a small, perhaps 1/4 size DC wave pump you could place anywhere to target flow. Something you could wire as you setup live rock, could even drill out liverock and place the pump as part of your rock scape.ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

10 minutes ago, Garf said:

I am trying for anything 5x-10x. I set my Tunze on its lowest setting, which should have given me 5x, but that really messed with my flow. Plus, any buildup on the pump really reduced the flow. And the kicker was that it still was using 5.6watts at its lowest setting. So I now have about 8-10x, and one of my nozzles is pointing down to the one area I want high flow. The other is at surface providing agitation. My two Current eFlux pumps are on the back wall, synced for a 1sec wave flow. This gives me a good flow around my tank for all the other LPS. Try as I might, I couldn't get a good placement to provide the higher flow to the one area, and good flow around the other sides. Part of that was because of my constraint of not putting a powerhead at the front of the tank, so ugly on peninsula tanks imo.ย 

I'm at about 5x turnover but my drunk ass turned the filter off while feeding and forgot to turn it back on for 15'ish hours..
Apart from that, i'm running a new light time - but i think i hit the pit where u wanna give up as all my corals seem to be sufferingย 

• Like 1

@Garfย 

Tannk 13g

Well the tank volume matters to the pumps turnover volume,ย 
so 500 lph per 13g tank is 38 lph aka 10gph

So as tank is 13g that's 1x turnover?

Just now, Proxo said:

I'm at about 5x turnover but my drunk ass turned the filter off while feeding and forgot to turn it back on for 15'ish hours..
Apart from that, i'm running a new light time - but i think i hit the pit where u wanna give up as all my corals seem to be sufferingย 

I've done that twice in the last month. Luckily it wasn't really cold, I went about 18hrs the first time. It got down to 22.7c, almost ambient temp.ย  You can beat the algae, roll up those sleeves and start pulling algae. I am a firm believer in there is no magic solution, keep things to the basics. Liverock, good maintenance and water changes, filter floss or pad, and carbon.ย 

Keep going Proxo, you'll beat it.

ย 

I've got a bit at the minute too. It might be worthwhile getting someone to ID the algae type so that you can battle it (unless you've already done that).

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Proxo said:

You'll get past it mate, just keep going at it.ย ย 

Worked out what that Orange and Purple thing is yet?

11 hours ago, Proxo said:

@Garfย 

Tannk 13g

Well the tank volume matters to the pumps turnover volume,ย 
so 500 lph per 13g tank is 38 lph aka 10gph

So as tank is 13g that's 1x turnover?

3.8 L = 1G

Stock pump isย 500 LPH = 131 GPH

131 GPH minusย some head loss = sayย 113ย GPH

Tank isย 13G

113รท13G for turnover rate which is =ย 8.7 GPH

• Like 2

You guys are like cheer leaders right now, thanks ๐Ÿ˜„
- Still not sure what the purple/orange thing is but it doesn't seem to be doing much!

I've been hunting down some ai prime settings too but idk yet, i've got so much hair algae i could make myself a wig ๐Ÿ˜„
Gonna do water change if my mix is ready, then i'll get some pics.
ย 

2 hours ago, Proxo said:

You guys are like cheer leaders right now, thanks ๐Ÿ˜„
- Still not sure what the purple/orange thing is but it doesn't seem to be doing much!

I've been hunting down some ai prime settings too but idk yet, i've got so much hair algae i could make myself a wig ๐Ÿ˜„
Gonna do water change if my mix is ready, then i'll get some pics.
ย 

What you doing about the Hair Algae? Manual picking and Turbo snails?

20 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

What you doing about the Hair Algae? Manual picking and Turbo snails?

I do have 3 turbo but don't see them much so Manual picking, toothbrush scrubbingย then powerhead on full smack then i'll change filter floss.
Also Whatever them purple/orange things are, they' where all over the corals, i hacked them away with a needle ๐Ÿ˜„

Also while i was annoying my coral doing that, thought i might aswell get a few off the plugs.ย 
I've stuck whatever that half dead mushroom was onto its own rock and moved the frog up next to the hammer as they're ok together so i read?

My zoa's are grouped up too... think i might have to add to the rockscape at this rate ๐Ÿ˜„ย 

9 minutes ago, Proxo said:

I do have 3 turbo but don't see them much so Manual picking, toothbrush scrubbingย then powerhead on full smack then i'll change filter floss.
Also Whatever them purple/orange things are, they' where all over the corals, i hacked them away with a needle ๐Ÿ˜„

Also while i was annoying my coral doing that, thought i might aswell get a few off the plugs.ย 
I've stuck whatever that half dead mushroom was onto its own rock and moved the frog up next to the hammer as they're ok together so i read?

My zoa's are grouped up too... think i might have to add to the rockscape at this rate ๐Ÿ˜„ย 

I usually "encourage" mine, whenever i spot them not on some algae I pluck them up and place them on the algae and watch them get to work. Failing that I have a "Prison" of a hatchery box that I put them in if i haven't seen them working in a couple of days, I release again when they seem to become more active again. Usually pop in an algae wafer in the hatchery as wellย 

IME snails don't usually bother with hair algae;ย 1 blue-leg hermit per gallonย = no more hair algae on frags and rocks.ย You're right, those purple/orange things are vermetid snails - good job getting the ones out from inbetweenย coralsย - someย bumblebee snails should keep what's leftย in check. If the population becomes more noticeable, tryย Coral Snow atย 1/2 - 3/4 doseย a few minutes after feeding regularly.

• Like 1