SaltCritters.com

Proxo Fluval Evo 13.5

Proxo

On 7/1/2019 at 10:46 AM, afcajax73 said:

That’s good news. Pictures are the way forward!! 😂😂 

They're coming, i broke my phone so yeah 😞
Btw i got that jumpguard the only problem is the power head cable - as i have it in the back right corner (tank is fishing me sideways). 
I might be able to cut away some of the bottom section and feed the cable through. 

There's so much left i could do my other tank but there's not enough corner clips so might take it to work and weld it together 😄

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Proxo said:

They're coming, i broke my phone so yeah 😞
Btw i got that jumpguard the only problem is the power head cable - as i have it in the back right corner (tank is fishing me sideways). 
I might be able to cut away some of the bottom section and feed the cable through. 

There's so much left i could do my other tank but there's not enough corner clips so might take it to work and weld it together 😄

Can't you cut the back corner piece? the plastic corner clips can be cut at an angle to allow the for cable exit/entry. That's what I did.. I'll get a picture later when I'm home.

I had quite a bit left too.. Probably enough to do another tank. I thought about getting rid or selling it cheap but, I'm half thinking of another tank at some point so I'm hanging on to it until then. I think some places sell additional clips/corner pieces. It might be worth having a quick look on a few online retailers.

• Like 1

I just read the instructions and seen you can do this haha 😄
Thanks for the picture though... I was thinking instead of the mesh, what about adding glass? I'm not sure how much light it would reflect from the prime though.
Although the pro to glass would be less water evap keeping glass lids clean is a nightmare on my freshwater never mind salt stains hmmm!!

• Like 1

Hmmm... sounds good in principle, but not sure how it would hold in the frame. The rubber forces the netting in place, I saw some channel in b&q but it was steel.. so not good with salt water. Interesting thought though. I bet someone has done it somewhere 

Ok these are some top quality pictures, i'm a professional camera man 😄 LOL. Seriously though, i can not for the life of me use this damn Nikon D3500 camera, it's not mine so 😄
Anyway back to the topic, The half dead mushroom seems to be recovering slowly, there's some new heads on some of the zoa's and the acan (although they're on the side you can't see as i turned it round to fight that aiptasia 😄 - Also the crab knocked a pretty big rock over next to the mushrooms so i'll have to sort that once this cut on my finger heals up some!

Extremely happy with the light and the lid cover if the water evap annoys me too much i'll either get an ATO or try add some glass or something.
I'm currently trying to make a little back chamber cover lid too as you can see, that was a test run piece i'll eventually get a proper one made and add the same vinyl wrap i'm using on the side
that's there to currently hide that damn refugium light, any questions students? 😄 Wait, i am the padawan!
Oh and my water params are getting there, ph, alk, salinity is fine cal and mag is slightly low so i did a small dose, i'll test again tomorrow.

P.S the Freshwater tank is sideways due to painting the back!

Full.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome job with the top, it's looking slick. Is the chaeto turning the surplus 'fuge light green? I think that's fun - looks like quite the experiment going on. Speaking of laboratories, I like how you efficientized your necessities - particularly the holstered forceps (I keep mine similarly nearby). everything is looking happy, both the fish and corals  👍

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

its more about the lens than the camera body.  if it's the kit lens, then yea.....

Ah i don't know, i just can't seem to get it to focus properly on anything, i'll have to try play around with the settings sometime - although she never keeps the damn battery charged so
i work on a timer 😄 lol.

15 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Awesome job with the top, it's looking slick. Is the chaeto turning the surplus 'fuge light green? I think that's fun - looks like quite the experiment going on. Speaking of laboratories, I like how you efficientized your necessities - particularly the holstered forceps (I keep mine similarly nearby). everything is looking happy, both the fish and corals  👍

Yeah the chaeto and the green bottom on the intank media basket, i didn't mind it at first but it kind of took the focus of the tank the light was so bright lol..

Can anybody ID that coral under the powerhead yet? i'll get a better pic if needed 😄 

• Like 2

Aha, i think that coral i'm on about is a lime tipped toadstool.
Think it's time for me to work out a long term plan for these frags to grow 😮

• Like 3

Looks good mate 🙂 you’ve done well with the lid. Back one looks good too. I think dd do a cut out kit you’d be able use with your leftovers but what you’ve done is probably as good if not better for evap. 

I need to better place my corals, but it’s hard keep everything happy and looking how you want it 😂

• Like 1

@afcajax73, You know the slight little 'rim' on the top of the jumpguard that's on the inside (if that makes sense lol)
Well, from some PC builds i had some acrylic left over and this really thin stuff i have (i'd say 2mm maybe 3.5mm) fits flush on that rim..

I'm pretty damn tempted to get some more acrylic and mod this lid, i just don't know if i want to fight with water evap or finger prints/water marks on the acrylic lol.

Might be worth a go. Not sure what affect the light will have. It gets hot under that prime! I’m assuming it will be fine though. 🙂

You can be our guinee pig! 

I finally finished making a back chamber cover 😄 also here's the annoying crab and a picture of the mess he's made 😄

P_20190706_200832.jpg

P_20190706_200849.jpg

P_20190610_214701.jpg

• Wow 1

Do you vacuum sand with waterchanges?

If you do, try to do a minor daily stir of sandbed.

It helped me a lot during the diatom outbreak - however if your tank is not used to it during water changes, only do a minor patch at a time to avoid "surprising" the system too much.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

Do you vacuum sand with waterchanges?

If you do, try to do a minor daily stir of sandbed.

It helped me a lot during the diatom outbreak - however if your tank is not used to it during water changes, only do a minor patch at a time to avoid "surprising" the system too much.

Yeah, i started to vac the sand about a month ago - i did read some mixed views on it but the amount of ___ that comes up is unreal so i will carry on.
You might be right on doing too much at once, my algae problem has got worse but i think the ai prime is to blame for that and me of course as i forgot to change out the some media :D.

I think my crab munched my snails though, i was holding back on the feeding due to nitrate problem, i'm currently "hand" feeding the crab pellets every few days so might get some more snails
as if i'm correct, crabs only go for the snails etc if they're pretty damn hungry. 

• Like 1

The top looks perfect! Very nice work. That crab seems like quite the rambunctious one - especially in his photo lol. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

The top looks perfect! Very nice work. That crab seems like quite the rambunctious one - especially in his photo lol. 

I know man, normally crabs shoot off and hide or keep their back against something but this thing attacks me lol.
i'm constantly having to flip my frags back up too, atleast he's doing his job but he's giving me jobs haha!

But it's things like this that keep me personally involved and interested in a tank, when my freshwater isn't breeding and just been fish - i never really focus on it 😞

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, afcajax73 said:

looking good @Proxo 🙂 what's next?!!

Drink the rest of this whiskey of course lol, but tank wise - i think the emerald crab has been eating my zoa, the frag zoa seems okay so idk.
My prime will be on full power tomorrow so i need to fix this algae problem, clumps are so bad in the sand i'm picking it out but my nitrate and phosphate levels are low.

Need to plan and learn what corals to put together and get this show on the road :D, i'm using red sea salt but my calc and mag levels always seem  to be lower than what they say it'll mix.
i'm guessing with these 'easy' corals, it's not too much of a problem - i'm dosing properly once i work out the coral usage etc.

I also need to work out an easier way of RODI storage and mixing,i plumbed the main freshwater tank into the system when i lived with the ex gf, currently back home now and mama says no lol.

11 hours ago, Proxo said:

Drink the rest of this whiskey of course lol, but tank wise - i think the emerald crab has been eating my zoa, the frag zoa seems okay so idk.
My prime will be on full power tomorrow so i need to fix this algae problem, clumps are so bad in the sand i'm picking it out but my nitrate and phosphate levels are low.

Need to plan and learn what corals to put together and get this show on the road :D, i'm using red sea salt but my calc and mag levels always seem  to be lower than what they say it'll mix.
i'm guessing with these 'easy' corals, it's not too much of a problem - i'm dosing properly once i work out the coral usage etc.

I also need to work out an easier way of RODI storage and mixing,i plumbed the main freshwater tank into the system when i lived with the ex gf, currently back home now and mama says no lol.

sounds like a good starting place... whiskey!

I didn't see a huge increase in algae when it went to full power but, I am getting some so I also need to sort that.

I never bothered with mixing up salt and RODI production etc. I figured I was only doing a 10% change each week, and my LFS water is good. So I do a change every Wednesday. I drive past my LFS on the way back from work and it costs me £3 for enough salt water to do my chance and RO to last me a week for topping off. I thought for £3 a week I might aswell go for that option plus, they test the water whilst I'm there/before I take it away. I would prefer to make my own water and mix it up etc but, I thought for the cost and amount I have it wasn't worth the hassle.

I really need to get my corals in order... I need to start sorting out some better placement I think.

have you tried any different test kits or got your LFS to test for you? also, I'm assuming the nitrates and phosphates are being sucked up by the algae, hence the low levels. I'm sure someone with more experience might be able confirm that though..

Too hungover to do a water change now lol.
My LFS is very good, just getting there is a problem for me as i don't drive... but i need to go more as the lady there is becoming very friendly lol.
I'll take some water up next time to double check, i think i still do overfeed though - it's a habbit from keeping freshwater so long, overfeed for nitrates for the plants.

I've got a massive tub of phosguard so i'm throwing that in so i can't imagine that's the problem, the crab does a good job of lifting the hair algae clumps and the powerhead throws them next to the intake where i pick it off the sponge.

I'm still learning what corals can be okay next to each other, i think i need some more acan though they're awesome.. i'll draw a plan and post it, see what u guys think 😄

Also stocking wise i know is hit and miss with people and a touchy subject but with 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, 2 hermit crabs, 3 nassarius snail (i think), 1 emerald crab, 3 turbo snails (only ever see 1 so idk)... What else could i do? i feel the tank is a little boring, need something with some character, my lfs accepts fish back so if need be to keep me interested more, maybe but rather not, these clowns seem to be getting along very good - heard the toadstool coral i got is a good alternative for them too.

1 minute ago, Daniel91 said:

Get an interesting (skunk etc.) shrimp or porcelain crab.

Both got plenty of character 

Will that be okay with the emerald? maybe i should just get a blue ringed octopus 😄 

Ok i know the hammer and frog can go next to each other (please confirm my info just incase)
The yellow circle i'm thinking zoa garden, as i have so many frags.
The acan is the pink arrow, maybe a garden down there? i love this coral, so i need more.

Now i have a GSP, pulsing xenia, kenya tree a few mushrooms and the blasto idk where to place... 
Might try extend the rock war behind the hammer and behind the blasto in the back. 

design.jpg