pricewayne

Block light to encourage BTA to move?

pricewayne

I know it's best to let BTAs find their happy place and deal with it as best you can to accommodate. Issue is my BTA is currently attached to rock facing the back wall of my tank and can't be seen from my front display or side display -- sad because I love it so much!

I have not tried to move the BTA or encourage it to move at all yet. I've read tons of literature on ways to encourage a move -- from blasting with powerhead, using a credit card, using a piece of ice, gently massaging the foot area to get it to release. I'm sure I can try some of these, but they all seem quite invasive! Only active strategy/plan right now is to patiently hope it will decide to move from its current location to a place it can be seen -- where it is now, it still receives great lighting, proper flow and can be accessed from the top of the tank for spot feedings (slice of silverside about 1x/week).

Has anyone tried to block light from a BTA to encourage it to move?

It would be incredibly easy for me to place something on top of my tank lid and block light from hitting my BTA while still allowing light to hit the rest of my corals/tank. It seems the least invasive way to encourage a more natural move. I'm no expert though. Anyone tried this before? Any red flags/concerns/reasoning I should not try it?

Regardless, I'm still hoping it will make a move on its own without me changing or physically encouraging it at all -- but its been in this location a few weeks and it is killing me I can't see it!! Any thoughts on when I should start trying to encourage a move?

Joevember

Seems like it could work. Although one time when I turned my aquascape, blocking my BTA from the light, the BTA just stretched it's foot very long to get to the light. Make sure you encourage it enough to move.

I've had success just 'tickling' the foot with my finger enough for it to pop off the rock. But wear gloves when handling them, they burn!

• Like 1

pricewayne

Fair point I hadn’t thought of. I suspect it’d be able to stretch beyond the area I was thinking I could block light access. Dang it! Lol.

Haven’t reached in to see exactly how it’s planted itself to the rock, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be tough for me to get to its foot — blanking on the name for this type of rock, but it has pipe like structure with many gaps — am almost positive its foot has weaved itself into the rock work.

Here’s a pic from last night — can see the edge of my BTA (I’ve named her Gwen) in the red circle.

446A06D6-AC5E-49A0-A1E9-B224A378CD4F.thumb.jpeg.76811094ba1abc45400ef392476e073c.jpeg

Joevember

5 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Fair point I hadn’t thought of. I suspect it’d be able to stretch beyond the area I was thinking I could block light access. Dang it! Lol.

Haven’t reached in to see exactly how it’s planted itself to the rock, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be tough for me to get to its foot — blanking on the name for this type of rock, but it has pipe like structure with many gaps — am almost positive its foot has weaved itself into the rock work.

Here’s a pic from last night — can see the edge of my BTA (I’ve named her Gwen) in the red circle.

446A06D6-AC5E-49A0-A1E9-B224A378CD4F.thumb.jpeg.76811094ba1abc45400ef392476e073c.jpeg

Considering how it's wedged into the rocks, I would try a combination of direct flow and change in light to get it to move out.

• Like 1

pricewayne
7 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Considering how it's wedged into the rocks, I would try a combination of direct flow and change in light to get it to move out.

One thing that's unclear to me using direct flow -- curious if the expectation will be for it to immediately begin to unplant itself after a few minutes? Or should I expect it to gradually become displeased and within 24hrs make a move? Or more//less time? Hate to try it and end up damaging the nem by either too aggressively putting too much flow onto it, or by gradually pushing it over extending period of time (if that makes sense lol)

Tamberav

You don't need that much flow on it, don't blast it. Just enough to make it uncomfortable. I got one to move that night so I guess it took 12ish hours and it was like "f this! I'm going for a walk"

It might walk right into your coral and sting them though. Both of mine took their walk at night/early morning after changing flow that afternoon, could be coincidence. 

• Like 1

pricewayne
21 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You don't need that much flow on it, don't blast it. Just enough to make it uncomfortable. I got one to move that night so I guess it took 12ish hours and it was like "f this! I'm going for a walk"

It might walk right into your coral and sting them though. Both of mine took their walk at night/early morning after changing flow that afternoon, could be coincidence. 

Ok cool. I have an extra powerhead so just added it and put it on the lowest setting pointing at it. I’m hanging home tonight so I’ll keep an eye on it — the two times it moved when I first got it was after lights out so maybe when my lights power down (11pm PST) it’ll make some moves 🤞🏻

Clown79

The easiest and none invasive method to move them off a rock is using flow, tickling their foot, or ice cube method.

• Thanks 1

pricewayne

Welp, ran my small powerhead for about 6hrs last night and still hadn’t budged - turned it off overnight (really didn’t want to wake up to a shredded nem).

Turned it back on this morning and tried to reach in to gently tickle but no luck reaching the foot — has it woven and looped into the rock work it seems. It does seem to be stretching a bit more than usual now (could just be wishful thinking) — maybe it’s starting to make a move 🤞🏻

Leaving the powerhead on and may try a piece of ice later. Having to pivot my focus to my 2.5g pico tank that’s been cycling — hang on back motor stopped working this morning 😵

pricewayne

The day turned around 🙂

Got my pico AC50 motor back in action.

And my BTA started to make a move about 20mins ago. Yesssss. It’s so nice to see it in full view again!! Still slowly making its way around the rock but it’s back in the front of my display right now. Thank y’all for the encouragement!!

9B1888BA-CEDB-4CB4-9144-26BD3F19E394.thumb.jpeg.8ab0d0d9cf8999222a656aedd4b8f0f5.jpeg

61A2EDB5-A461-4757-88AC-2EEC26632F72.thumb.jpeg.5ba52ca7955276392f2e20ddfe315b78.jpeg

• Like 2

Matteo

I'm so jelly your clown uses it. I tried everything for my two clowns to use my large BTA. Ended up trading the BTA in. Too much space taken without hosting. Glad it all worked out! 

pricewayne
Just now, OverCookedRock said:

I'm so jelly your clown uses it. I tried everything for my two clowns to use my large BTA. Ended up trading the BTA in. Too much space taken without hosting. Glad it all worked out! 

I was nervous they wouldn’t but took to it pretty immediately. Now getting my clowns to pair is another story lol. Seemed they were starting to pair up at first, then went through a fighting phase and now my female seems to just tolerate my male — so long as he doesn’t get too close to my BTA. My male started hosting my torch, and it’s quite adorable. I have noticed the past couple nights (since the BTA moved to the front) that my male will slowly approach the BTA right after lights out and it’s hysterical — literally creeps around the edge trying to hide from the female until she sees him.

Matteo
1 hour ago, pricewayne said:

I was nervous they wouldn’t but took to it pretty immediately. Now getting my clowns to pair is another story lol. Seemed they were starting to pair up at first, then went through a fighting phase and now my female seems to just tolerate my male — so long as he doesn’t get too close to my BTA. My male started hosting my torch, and it’s quite adorable. I have noticed the past couple nights (since the BTA moved to the front) that my male will slowly approach the BTA right after lights out and it’s hysterical — literally creeps around the edge trying to hide from the female until she sees him.

Oh yeah they're just claiming domomence. Are they relatively same size? They will compete until one becomes fully female (the larger or the two). 

Yeah I tried but both clowns are captive bred and they would touch it, bite at it, and go right underneath but never fully in. 😞

I may try again with a different BTA. When I had a green one (it died) my female seemed waaay more interested in it than the rainbow. So may try again...but not much room anymore