SaltCritters.com

Getting back into reef tanks. Suggestions for set ups wanted!

cameron1

Hello!

I was a pretty active member on here a while ago but have been off the map for about 7 years. In highschool, I kept reef tanks and bred clownfish. After highschool, I was never really in a steady place to be able to start/ afford a reef tank. I recently got a pretty big tax refund and decided I would use a good amount of it to start a tank!

I am looking for suggestions on tanks in the 20 gallon area. Since I have prior experience I don't think it is necessary to start with an all-in one tank. I would love suggestions on customizable tanks and what equipment you think works well with them (skimmer, lighting etc). Currently, my budget is around $1,000-$1,500 and I will probably be able to spend more once the tank starts maturing.

If you'd like to see any of my past tanks you can check out my page!

Looking forward to any suggestions.

• Like 2

Sounds like a nice budget for size tank you have in mind.  I have only had a 5.5 gallon, so am not as familiar with equipment in your "range" but check out the tanks of the month (they go back for years!) as well as do a search for 20 gallon (and give or take a few gallons) in the tank journal section of the forum.  That will give you a sense of what people are using in terms of equipment.  I have done the same for my 5.5 and found it very useful/inspiring.  

Another tip I would pass along is to spend a couple of weeks watching the classifieds section like a hawk.  People are always upgrading/changing their setup and good deals can be had on equipment.  I realize you have a healthy budget, but if you can get something gently used for 50% or more off, that only works to your advantage.  

Welcome back to the hobby!

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, cameron1 said:

Hello!

I was a pretty active member on here a while ago but have been off the map for about 7 years. In highschool, I kept reef tanks and bred clownfish. After highschool, I was never really in a steady place to be able to start/ afford a reef tank. I recently got a pretty big tax refund and decided I would use a good amount of it to start a tank!

I am looking for suggestions on tanks in the 20 gallon area. Since I have prior experience I don't think it is necessary to start with an all-in one tank. I would love suggestions on customizable tanks and what equipment you think works well with them (skimmer, lighting etc). Currently, my budget is around $1,000-$1,500 and I will probably be able to spend more once the tank starts maturing.

If you'd like to see any of my past tanks you can check out my page!

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Welcome back! 😊

What about a 20 Long?

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

@Superdave All of that advice is very helpful. Since I haven't been on here for a while my navigation of the site was lacking. Will definitely keep an eye on the classifieds. If I can get cheaper equipment I can get better fish and coral!

@WV Reefer That was what I had in mind. I came across the innovative marine 20 gallon but it doesn't look like they sell them any more. Any suggestions?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, cameron1 said:

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

@Superdave All of that advice is very helpful. Since I haven't been on here for a while my navigation of the site was lacking. Will definitely keep an eye on the classifieds. If I can get cheaper equipment I can get better fish and coral!

@WV Reefer That was what I had in mind. I came across the innovative marine 20 gallon but it doesn't look like they sell them any more. Any suggestions?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/22-gallon-exquisite-rimless-tank-low-iron-glass-mr-aqua.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyPrVoffc4QIVSCaGCh3-yQ6QEAQYBCABEgILSvD_BwE

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Long_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_22_Gallon-UJ94560-FIAQNCNTTT-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=UJ94560&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5eL8_fc4QIVDz0MCh1_egcYEAkYCSABEgKQJvD_BwE

I have the Mr Aqua 12 Long and like it a lot. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Preeeeeettty.

I took a look at your tank (which is awesome BTW). When I was keeping tanks I always thought is was necessary to have some sort of filtration/sump. How do you get by without any of that?

• Like 1
Just now, cameron1 said:

Preeeeeettty.

I took a look at your tank (which is awesome BTW). When I was keeping tanks I always thought is was necessary to have some sort of filtration/sump. How do you get by without any of that?

Thank you. 😊

Balance and patience. 

• Like 1

I've been out of the hobby for a long time as well -- nearly a decade.  Just got back in with a pico, but looking for something bigger too.  During the time we've been out of the hobby, seems like the shift is now away from over filtration (which was basically the name of the game previously).  We spent so much time trying to achieve zero everything in the past, but that's not actually the most ideal turns out.

Also, can't really find as much LR anymore.  Seems like everyone is doing dry rock or human-made rock.  More eco friendly and a good thing, but doesn't have as much biodiversity as the real deal LR.

Also, seems like there is an explosion of AIOs or plug-n-play tank set-ups now (nice ones as well).  Oh, and everyone basically has low-iron glass now.  

I really like the UNS tanks.  I'm leaning towards setting one of those up.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Thank you. 😊

Balance and patience. 

When I first came back in, I came across a lot of your threads during my research and initially I wasn't sure why they were all "dirty".  LOL.  Very nice set-ups you have btw.

• Like 1
Just now, Tigahboy said:

When I first came back in, I came across a lot of your threads during my research and initially I wasn't sure why they were all "dirty".  LOL.  Very nice set-ups you have btw.

Thank you. 😊

That came from a lot of people saying it wasn’t possible and that my tank would crash from being too dirty. 😄 plus it makes for fun titles. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Thank you. 😊

That came from a lot of people saying it wasn’t possible and that my tank would crash from being too dirty. 😄 plus it makes for fun titles. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Though I've basically been a super "clean" reefer myself, I'm starting to get on board with the dirty now.  LOL.  

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I've been out of the hobby for a long time as well -- nearly a decade.  Just got back in with a pico, but looking for something bigger too.  During the time we've been out of the hobby, seems like the shift is now away from over filtration (which was basically the name of the game previously).  We spent so much time trying to achieve zero everything in the past, but that's not actually the most ideal turns out.

Also, can't really find as much LR anymore.  Seems like everyone is doing dry rock or human-made rock.  More eco friendly and a good thing, but doesn't have as much biodiversity as the real deal LR.

Also, seems like there is an explosion of AIOs or plug-n-play tank set-ups now (nice ones as well).  Oh, and everyone basically has low-iron glass now.  

I really like the UNS tanks.  I'm leaning towards setting one of those up.

Yeah quite a bit has changed. I don't think anybody was using LEDs when I started (my tank had a big clunky metal halide haha).

• Like 2
Just now, cameron1 said:

Yeah quite a bit has changed. I don't think anybody was using LEDs when I started (my tank had a big clunky metal halide haha).

Yes.  That's a big change too.  I just ordered my very first LED lights from NanoBox.  I was doing either metal halids or all T5s previously as well.  I really really love metal halides, but again, not very energy efficient and not controllable like LEDs so looking forward to trying out the LEDs.  

Also, you thought coral was expensive back when we were in the hobby, do a Google search for jawbreaker mushrooms or bounce mushrooms.  LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Yes.  That's a big change too.  I just ordered my very first LED lights from NanoBox.  I was doing either metal halids or all T5s previously as well.  I really really love metal halides, but again, not very energy efficient and not controllable like LEDs so looking forward to trying out the LEDs.  

Also, you thought coral was expensive back when we were in the hobby, do a Google search for jawbreaker mushrooms or bounce mushrooms.  LOL.

Oh Geez. Very pretty but not worth my whole budget for a single mushroom haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, cameron1 said:

Oh Geez. Very pretty but not worth my whole budget for a single mushroom haha

my brain says no, but my reefer heart says yes.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1