Coral Vue Hydros

Dwarf Clownfish morph

William

50 minutes ago, William said:

Does Anyone know of any breeders selling Dwarf clownfish (specifically bred for small size)? 

How small are you looking for?

There isn’t a variety like that, generic runts do exist but aren’t going to be that small and aren’t usually bred for since they’re runts after all.

8 minutes ago, 1.0reef said:

There isn’t a variety like that, generic runts do exist but aren’t going to be that small and aren’t usually bred for since they’re runts after all.

Why don’t they breed runts, I feel like there would be a market for micro clownfish 

5 minutes ago, William said:

Why don’t they breed runts, I feel like there would be a market for micro clownfish 

I looked into these as well -- read that some LFS will "market" clowns as dwarf or mini or "nano" clowns, but it isn't actually true... I've read that often times, stores are just selling young clowns that are advertised as such. Wish they existed! They'd be QTs.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong ? I'd love to be proven wrong.

18 minutes ago, William said:

Breeding isn't that simple, runts can produce full size offspring. A runt that started out stunted can also catch up to its siblings with proper care. Breeding two runts doesn't guarantee all runt offspring. Being a runt could also have no genetic component at all, it could just be that clown did not receive good nutrition or has some other genetic issue and its runtyness is really just an outward appearance of poor health.

If someone says they are selling 'dwarf clownfish' or mini clownfish, it is probably a scam to sell some clowns. 

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Breeding isn't that simple, runts can produce full size offspring. A runt that started out stunted can also catch up to its siblings with proper care. Breeding two runts doesn't guarantee all runt offspring. Being a runt could also have no genetic component at all, it could just be that clown did not receive good nutrition or has some other genetic issue and its runtyness is really just an outward appearance of poor health.

Just like two brunettes could have a blonde child, lo and behold grandma was blonde. 

If someone says they are selling 'dwarf clownfish' or mini clownfish, it is probably a scam to sell some clowns. 

I’m just say that I know a lot or ornamental animals (dogs, cats, horses, pigs, certain freshwater fish) have types that are specifically bred for small size 

36 minutes ago, William said:

I’m just say that I know a lot or ornamental animals (dogs, cats, horses, pigs, certain freshwater fish) have types that are specifically bred for small size 

Pretty much anyone could take up the avenue of breeding dogs (plenty of them not responsible!) but breeding... even clownfish... is a lot more than just putting two unfixed clowns together. Probably not enough incentive to do it vs a new designer.

1 hour ago, MrObscura said:

Why not just get regular clowns? they're small enough, a 10 gallon is good for a pair. 

Unless your going Pico. 

Pico 

• 2 weeks later...
BlennyBoi
On 4/20/2019 at 10:42 AM, Tamberav said:

Pretty much anyone could take up the avenue of breeding dogs (plenty of them not responsible!) but breeding... even clownfish... is a lot more than just putting two unfixed clowns together. Probably not enough incentive to do it vs a new designer.

breeding saltwater fish is no mean feat. dogs have been selectively bred for hundreds of years, but clowns are much more recent