Top Shelf Aquatics

The Fire Swamp's 50g SCA Starfire Cube- 🔥🐊. Upgrade Coming Soon

ECLS Reefer

25 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

They sent me one only because I’d ordered inverts and a coral for the challenge tank, and because they could stick in with that shipment. This one arrived kind of floating straight up and down in the bag, not as vigorous as the other, with one eye damaged. And in the bag while dripping a bit of my water in he’s been lying upside down or on his side. He’s a bit more vigorous in the QT tank with more room but still acting a little upside floaty. 

Eye damage might be from sand in the bag?

Mine arrived pretty much floating around and getting stuck to stuff and having buoyancy issues. I babied her first few days helping her hide in the rocks (she could not bury or swim down well). She did end up recovering and it has been a year now I think with me. I had mine in a QT tank so other fish could not harass her and it allowed me to turn the pumps down. 

I have tried to get most of my sensative wrasse local now since they ship so poopy. 

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Eye damage might be from sand in the bag?

Mine arrived pretty much floating around and getting stuck to stuff and having buoyancy issues. I babied her first few days helping her hide in the rocks (she could not bury or swim down well). She did end up recovering and it has been a year now I think with me. I had mine in a QT tank so other fish could not harass her and it allowed me to turn the pumps down. 

I have tried to get most of my sensative wrasse local now since they ship so poopy. 

I had intended to get one from the LFS but he’s not bringing them in like he had been. I usually try to put them in a breeder box hanging off the side of the tank but they sent me a big one again, and I felt like he wouldn’t look good in there either, since it’s small. He’s in the QT tank beside the big tank for now and I would venture to say he’s looking some better.... keep your fingers crossed for him/her 🤞🏼

Im so glad I have tomorrow off too so I can watch him closely. 

Okay, so here’s photo/video of the progression from immediately after bag to QT. I put in 4 drops of cupramine, some MB7 and some prime. Filled the tank from the SCA water. She looked sooooo rough when she first arrived and went in the QT but now she’s looking a lot hardier. Cautiously optimistic. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Okay, so here’s photo/video of the progression from immediately after bag to QT. I put in 4 drops of cupramine, some MB7 and some prime. Filled the tank from the SCA water. She looked sooooo rough when she first arrived and went in the QT but now she’s looking a lot hardier. Cautiously optimistic. 

Why the Copper drops? 

Cupramine and prime mix is a NO NO.

water change and get it out of there. @Dirté Sanchez

Because Prime, like all water conditioners, is a reducing agent, it has the potential to reduce the Cupramine from the safe Cu2+ form to a very toxic Cu+ form. 

Directly from seachems site.

• Wow 2
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Cupramine and prime mix is a NO NO.

water change and get it out of there. @Dirté Sanchez

Because Prime, like all water conditioners, is a reducing agent, it has the potential to reduce the Cupramine from the safe Cu2+ form to a very toxic Cu+ form. 

Directly from seachems site.

I did a 100% water change just now and added a bag of carbon. I don’t trust putting the wrasse in the big tank yet. The carbon should trap any left over copper right? @Tamberav

10 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I did a 100% water change just now and added a bag of carbon. I don’t trust putting the wrasse in the big tank yet. The carbon should trap any left over copper right? @Tamberav

Any chance you have another QT to transfer her to? Copper 'sticks' to things. Not sure if carbon will absorb all of it. 😕

Waiting for Tam's response too, since she might know something about this.

Hope the wrasse pulls through okay for you, @Dirté Sanchez

Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Dirte, do you have any access to Cuprisorb? 

• Powerful adsorbent of copper and heavy metals
  • Copper specific chelating resin
  • Removes all types of copper

https://www.seachem.com/cuprisorb.php

^It removes all traces of Copper, according to Seachem. *Should work better than carbon, I think. 🤔

Not at 1am unfortunately. There’s nothing in the tank but two pvc pipe fittings to hide in and the heater. I can pull the fittings out if you think it would be better, but honestly I only put 4 drops of cupramine in, and maybe 8 of prime. You think that’s still enough to be toxic? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Not at 1am unfortunately. There’s nothing in the tank but two pvc pipe fittings to hide in and the heater. I can pull the fittings out if you think it would be better, but honestly I only put 4 drops of cupramine in, and maybe 8 of prime. You think that’s still enough to be toxic? 

Tbh, I'm not sure because I haven't mixed copper with prime before. Still, do you have a spare rubbermaid bin (or any small plastic tub) which you could move her into? 

Only issue with this is that you'll need a spare heater + filter too. And a fresh sandbox for her to sleep in as well. 

Copper has a nasty tendency to adhere to surfaces - including the surface of the current tank/bin you're using as a QT. Not trying to scare you or anything, but that's what I've read about from numerous sites. 

Still waiting for Tam to chime in, because she will have a better idea about this than I do. 

Incidentally, wrasses in general are quite sensitive to copper. Some can handle it, others can't. Low doses *should be okay, I guess, but perhaps prophylactic treatment is better. 

Tbh, I'm not sure because I haven't mixed copper with prime before. Still, do you have a spare rubbermaid bin (or any small plastic tub) which you could move her into? 

Only issue with this is that you'll need a spare heater + filter too. And a fresh sandbox for her to sleep in as well. 

Copper has a nasty tendency to adhere to surfaces - including the surface of the current tank/bin you're using as a QT. Not trying to scare you or anything, but that's what I've read about from numerous sites. 

Still waiting for Tam to chime in, because she will have a better idea about this than I do. 

Incidentally, wrasses in general are quite sensitive to copper. Some can handle it, others can't. Low doses *should be okay, I guess, but perhaps prophylactic treatment is better. 

The only other thing I have is the breeder box I’d planned to use originally. I don’t have a spare equipment store other than the QT stuff. 

It’s small though- like 3-4inches square for a 2 inch fish

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The only other thing I have is the breeder box I’d planned to use originally. I don’t have a spare equipment store other than the QT stuff. 

If she's up and about right now, swimming around, then I *think she should make it. 🤔

I find leopards very tricky to deal with. Feeding is one issue, but getting a healthy specimen has always been difficult - even here. My current leopard arrived in good shape (was very pricey too) but refused to eat properly for a whole month. He thinned out a fair bit, then one day decided to eat. Now he's slowly regaining all the weight he's lost. I still keep a close eye on him though - because among all my wrasses, I think he is the most sensitive. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

If she's up and about right now, swimming around, then I *think she should make it. 🤔

I find leopards very tricky to deal with. Feeding is one issue, but getting a healthy specimen has always been difficult - even here. My current leopard arrived in good shape (was very pricey too) but refused to eat properly for a whole month. He thinned out a fair bit, then one day decided to eat. Now he's slowly regaining all the weight he's lost. I still keep a close eye on him though - because among all my wrasses, I think he is the most sensitive. 

Well the question now is, leave in the possibly tainted QT or move to the little breeder box overnight

6 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Well the question now is, leave in the possibly tainted QT or move to the little breeder box overnight

Is the little breeder box in your main tank?

If it is, it's a gamble. The fish *might be carrying parasites/flukes that can spread to the whole tank. Or it might be perfectly healthy and not infect anything. Very risky. 😕 

Is the little breeder box in your main tank?

If it is, it's a gamble. The fish *might be carrying parasites/flukes that can spread to the whole tank. Or it might be perfectly healthy and not infect anything. Very risky. 😕 

Well it’s what I’d have done had she not shown up looking so rough. It’s what I usually do, as I’m a plop and dropper like WV and Tamberav day they do. I give them a little longer with some drip but then I put them in the breeder which is straight my tank water so I can observe for a bit before releasing. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Well it’s what I’d have done had she not shown up looking so rough. It’s what I usually do, as I’m a plop and dropper like WV and Tamberav day they do. I give them a little longer with some drip but then I put them in the breeder which is straight my tank water so I can observe for a bit before releasing. 

Do what you think is best - I dropped my leopard directly into my DT when I got him, because he was nearly dying in my QT. (Healthy at the LFS, flipped over on his side at my house 😞 )

He was perfectly normal when I introduced him to my main tank. And...he gave everyone flukes. But I Prazi'd the whole tank for one, going on two weeks and all the fish recovered. Could've been worse, I guess, but at least the leopard (and all the others) are still around. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Do what you think is best - I dropped my leopard directly into my DT when I got him, because he was nearly dying in my QT. (Healthy at the LFS, flipped over on his side at my house 😞 )

He was perfectly normal when I introduced him to my main tank. And...he gave everyone flukes. But I Prazi'd the whole tank for one, going on two weeks and all the fish recovered. Could've been worse, I guess, but at least the leopard (and all the others) are still around. 

I remember you saying that. I PMd you a video on IG. I have kick ick handy if I need it and can get ruby reef rally. I’ve never seen the prazi available here.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Don't think carbon is very effective on copper but the water change should have taken care of it....at least enough that whatever is left shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Don't think carbon is very effective on copper but the water change should have taken care of it.

It’s okay I think. I put her in the teeny weeny breeder box with an inch layer of sand and after a few minutes she disappeared into a cloud of dust. But at least tomorrow I’ll know exactly where she is. The temp stays regulated and it’s running off water from the DT. She didn’t look unhealthy so much as about to die of shipping. Hope she does well and wakes back up tomorrow.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I remember you saying that. I PMd you a video on IG. I have kick ick handy if I need it and can get ruby reef rally. I’ve never seen the prazi available here.

Kick ich is a scam.  Snake oil, Durleene!  
save yur money for some them fancy yogurt pants n tube tops, better spent in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
11 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Kick ich is a scam.  Snake oil, Durleene!  
save yur money for some them fancy yogurt pants n tube tops, better spent in my opinion. 

Well you’re not always here to rescue me Jack! Sometimes a girls got to use what resources she’s got.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • ECLS Reefer changed the title to The Fire Swamp's 50g SCA Starfire Cube- 🔥🐊. Upgrade Coming Soon