Jump to content
Dirté Sanchez

The Dirté Crab Cube 50g SCA Starfire

Recommended Posts

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

For my birthday today the boys got me a big two headed cocoa worm. He’s pretty and fluffy 😊

 

EA3F3277-41B4-47C9-88D3-49DA41F85A24.thumb.jpeg.7b36cf392c5a94cc34fadb5b94befcbf.jpegF5CFC8D8-5376-41E0-AA6C-40AEC98AE395.thumb.jpeg.85d6dd75a9599bfeca313a2223e03ac0.jpeg

Happy birthday!!!!🎂🎂🎂🎂

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny

Happy Birthday!!

 

Ok, on to the corals. Duncans come from Australia so you're safe for now. BTAs are coming out of The Philippines and they're safe. There are quite a few being captive propagated. I have a few nice odd coloured ones stashed away for a rainy day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Happy Birthday!!

 

Ok, on to the corals. Duncans come from Australia so you're safe for now. BTAs are coming out of The Philippines and they're safe. There are quite a few being captive propagated. I have a few nice odd coloured ones stashed away for a rainy day.

Hi stinky!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
6 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Happy Birthday!!

 

Ok, on to the corals. Duncans come from Australia so you're safe for now. BTAs are coming out of The Philippines and they're safe. There are quite a few being captive propagated. I have a few nice odd coloured ones stashed away for a rainy day.

Thank you!! My son wants a chalice for some reason- he saw one he thinks is the most gorgeous thing ever at the LFS. I’m not sure what they’d like or where I’d put one, and plus I’d rather have more ricordea. I really like the ones I just got recently. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny

Chalices can be touchy, give the tank a few months to find its feet. Lots of Ricordea coming out of Vietnam right now, VERY nice pieces. All I have are Discosoma and Rhodactis I will order some in 2 weeks if they put the stuff back on rock. I think I can convince my guy to do it for a few nice pieces. Australia has some nice ones, I don't think they're as nice as the ones out of Vietnam, but you better like teh buttsecks because that's what it feels like when you get the bill, lol.

  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Chalices can be touchy, give the tank a few months to find its feet. Lots of Ricordea coming out of Vietnam right now, VERY nice pieces. All I have are Discosoma and Rhodactis I will order some in 2 weeks if they put the stuff back on rock. I think I can convince my guy to do it for a few nice pieces. Australia has some nice ones, I don't think they're as nice as the ones out of Vietnam, but you better like teh buttsecks because that's what it feels like when you get the bill, lol.

It's crazy how pricey things are. My budget is the 10 or 20 dollar frag lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
38 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Thank you!! My son wants a chalice for some reason- he saw one he thinks is the most gorgeous thing ever at the LFS. I’m not sure what they’d like or where I’d put one, and plus I’d rather have more ricordea. I really like the ones I just got recently. 

 

Chalices are super mean so just keep that in mind when placing it..... if you get it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It's crazy how pricey things are. My budget is the 10 or 20 dollar frag lol.

I do single polyps of the Discosoma and Rhodactis for $5-$10 depending on how rare or the colour. The Bounces I have that are breeding can go as high as $1500 for the R2R types out there.5-6 polyp frags of the Zoanthids I have are $10-$30 depending on colour. I don't do ANY of those fukn named shits, F that noise. I need to shoot a pic of this rock that came in 3 weeks ago. It's got neon green polka dots.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I do single polyps of the Discosoma and Rhodactis for $5-$10 depending on how rare or the colour. The Bounces I have that are breeding can go as high as $1500 for the R2R types out there.5-6 polyp frags of the Zoanthids I have are $10-$30 depending on colour. I don't do ANY of those fukn named shits, F that noise. I need to shoot a pic of this rock that came in 3 weeks ago. It's got neon green polka dots.

That's cool take a pic! I love checking out pics. I haven't taken any of mine in a while. Been having a bad go the last month or so. F named shit. I just say yeah I have a favia or acan lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

 

Chalices are super mean so just keep that in mind when placing it..... if you get it. 

I wasn’t looking for one, and I wasn’t planning on getting stuff that requires sand bed placement right now. He’s just obsessed with this chalice he saw and won’t let me alone about it. I’d seriously rather buy more ricordea- I don’t know why but I really like that stuff. That limb I got from LA is working out great and makes me think I could get it to spread well in future. I like getting stuff that might spread well so it cuts down on how much one has to buy. I loved my little favia and it’s still recovering- saw today it was fleshing out better. I’d love to find another torch and some good frogspawn, but those are another two items no one has at the moment. Or not in my budget at least. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

Whew tonight dodged another power loss. Had severe cloud to ground lightning all around the house, and the rest of the neighborhood is still without power. Fortunately, my street and two others are on a different grid than the bulk of the neighborhood, so typically we are the ones who keep their power during storms. Tonight it surged about 4 times but never completely went out. The useless battery back up however, kept cutting off the sump return and the heater, so I ditched that worthless thing. The new heavy duty power strip/surge protector never went out or blinked, so everything but the skimmer is in that now. And just in case, the air pump is plugged in for backup, with fresh batteries and everything. Not gonna get caught like last time!!

 

IMG_2608.thumb.jpeg.8ad990757e1e36215ea9e47dc8442260.jpeg

 

Ricordea- got three large growths and one teeny weeny new sprout on this one branch. 

 

IMG_2607.thumb.jpeg.17e0c73efa8fc7008535d34463004d4e.jpeg

 

 

IMG_2604.thumb.jpeg.0bcab08eea2878ccd639d146b31a34b1.jpeg

 

Ignore the god knows what dribbled on the wall. Air pump ready for battle. Has two air lines, so I can aerate both sides of the tank.

 

IMG_2605.thumb.jpeg.fe9b15984158a4e25406e12e0c77390b.jpeg

 

 

IMG_2606.thumb.jpeg.0efbb26f6b1573401aac7a965c4031ee.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Whew tonight dodged another power loss. Had severe cloud to ground lightning all around the house, and the rest of the neighborhood is still without power. Fortunately, my street and two others are on a different grid than the bulk of the neighborhood, so typically we are the ones who keep their power during storms. Tonight it surged about 4 times but never completely went out. The useless battery back up however, kept cutting off the sump return and the heater, so I ditched that worthless thing. The new heavy duty power strip/surge protector never went out or blinked, so everything but the skimmer is in that now. And just in case, the air pump is plugged in for backup, with fresh batteries and everything. Not gonna get caught like last time!!

 

IMG_2608.thumb.jpeg.8ad990757e1e36215ea9e47dc8442260.jpeg

 

Ricordea- got three large growths and one teeny weeny new sprout on this one branch. 

 

IMG_2607.thumb.jpeg.17e0c73efa8fc7008535d34463004d4e.jpeg

 

 

IMG_2604.thumb.jpeg.0bcab08eea2878ccd639d146b31a34b1.jpeg

 

Ignore the god knows what dribbled on the wall. Air pump ready for battle. Has two air lines, so I can aerate both sides of the tank.

 

IMG_2605.thumb.jpeg.fe9b15984158a4e25406e12e0c77390b.jpeg

 

 

IMG_2606.thumb.jpeg.0efbb26f6b1573401aac7a965c4031ee.jpeg

The Ricordea look nice. 😊

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The Ricordea look nice. 😊

I really like them. And am super happy to see a baby sprout on there too. Got 4 for the price of 3. Be super nice when they spread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978

Happy Belated!!

.................You have a tank?

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
6 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Happy Belated!!

.................You have a tank?

 

 

Nah, she’s just here for the dank memes. 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
11 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Happy Belated!!

.................You have a tank?

 

Thank you! No I just get on NR for the social ambience 😝

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny
5 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

 

Nah, she’s just here for the dank memes. 😄

I came here for the nudez, but stayed for the reefs.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

The tank is looking good! Due for a water change today-it's been exactly 14 days since the last one. Made me a little paranoid and worried that it didn't need it sooner, and honestly the parameters are fine. By that standard it could keep on trucking. But the sump and skimmer are disgusting and I keep seeing it spit gross stuff into the display tank, so it needs a clean out. We put an elegance coral in, in hopes the clowns will host it, since the stupid BTA refuses to come out of the hole the tiger pistol (Gigantor) has dug in the back. It's still alive, and still responsive to light, but seems to enjoy having its face pressed to the dirt in the tunnel. Oh well. Maybe eventually the silly thing will decide for life in the light.

 

Added a baby two spot bristle tooth tang to the group today. Will have to watch him closely, as tangs are the one thing my brothers told me can poop a tank to death as they grow. So having him makes me nervous, but the male element of the family outvoted me. I'm outnumbered anyway, unless the cats decide to vote with me.

 

IMG_2628.thumb.jpeg.5c0d8c561456463f030dc19acf98201f.jpeg

 

Elegance coral

 

IMG_2630.thumb.jpeg.6023f3e21a0684e7848651db7046a601.jpeg

 

Elegance, recovering hammer, and in the back on the purple rock is a recovering nebula paly.

 

IMG_2631.thumb.jpeg.9ca8d0bc11b418cb54e0637cefbc7c9f.jpeg

 

Duncan and zoa

 

IMG_2632.thumb.jpeg.1b6afda3d7eb9bf6ccf54ab4aadfcf67.jpeg

 

Green star polyps have recovered nicely, but not sure the black sponge that was living on the GSP hunk will come back.

 

IMG_2633.thumb.jpeg.bf05d6791b4e2749d1acb0d5c4054b20.jpeg

 

New rhodactis mushroom.

 

IMG_2636.thumb.jpeg.d229f591c984181eb7f347669c0257a6.jpeg

 

Blue maxima clam

 

IMG_2637.thumb.jpeg.dfd4037e1241e9cd576ea52f36536b17.jpeg

 

Ricordea mushroom.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

The fish and corals have been doing well thus far in the SCA Starfire. The only one not seemingly happy is the gorgonian, who has started turning a bit darker red and not showing its polyps as much. I moved it to a higher flow area because I read they prefer moderate to high flow to prevent algae growth. So far it doesn’t look impressed. 

 

But the fish have been happy. Pretty sure J Edgar Hoover Junior (JJ) has found his tiger pistol Gigantor. They’ve been out of sight for a couple of days working on the first level of hell. The two spot bristle tooth tang and the CBA get along like best friends and follow each other all over the tank. They’re fun to watch. 

 

Still working on which food food is best for them or a routine. I have pellets which they all seem to like, live baby brine shrimp about every two or three days, and some new frozen combo packs of San Francisco Bay brand. Says it’s for SW fish, inverts and corals. Oh and dried nori for the tang and the crabs.

 

What do y’all feed that works well?

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
StinkyBunny

We feed a lot of mysis and our own home made concoction of shrimp, fish, clams, oysters and fish. If you can find capellin roe, it's great too. It's a good food for new arrivals, it's the one thing all fish will eat that isn't live. Even Mandarins will snarf it down with gusto.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
15 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The fish and corals have been doing well thus far in the SCA Starfire. The only one not seemingly happy is the gorgonian, who has started turning a bit darker red and not showing its polyps as much. I moved it to a higher flow area because I read they prefer moderate to high flow to prevent algae growth. So far it doesn’t look impressed. 

 

But the fish have been happy. Pretty sure J Edgar Hoover Junior (JJ) has found his tiger pistol Gigantor. They’ve been out of sight for a couple of days working on the first level of hell. The two spot bristle tooth tang and the CBA get along like best friends and follow each other all over the tank. They’re fun to watch. 

 

Still working on which food food is best for them or a routine. I have pellets which they all seem to like, live baby brine shrimp about every two or three days, and some new frozen combo packs of San Francisco Bay brand. Says it’s for SW fish, inverts and corals. Oh and dried nori for the tang and the crabs.

 

What do y’all feed that works well?

 

 

 

I feed a wide variety of frozen foods daily and dried seaweed sheets about three times a week.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

 

I feed a wide variety of frozen foods daily and dried seaweed sheets about three times a week.  

I got a variety pack of frozen stuff from LiveAquaria- it's got what looks like a frozen algae/seaweed block, frozen fish eggs, frozen brine shrimp.... well here's a picture of the description. 

 

image.thumb.png.4528661b6426d186fc812080bc731e14.png

 

They seemed to like at least some part of it when I trialed a sliver of the blocks the other day. I gave them a little bit of everything so I could see what it looked like and would disperse like when it dissolved, so I would say they liked the marine cuisine (green), the coral cuisine (red) an the plankton (tan) and didn't seem to even acknowledge the fish eggs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

Today I got in a strawberry crab from Blue Zoo. He is a bit sluggish from his journey, and made it about 4 inches total then hid the rest of the day. I'll have to watch him to make sure he perks up, like his buddy the Halloween hermit that came in with him, but got put in the Jar. 

 

Seeded the refugium in the sump with pods and red Ogo algae. Kind of excited-I hope they both really take off well in there. The pods are still alive, so at least the flow thru that section of the tank seems correct. I hope the Ogo seeds well too. 

 

IMG_2752.thumb.jpeg.80e19d4c1c9558f289be5422c689bc88.jpeg

 

Le Dirté Sump/Refugium

 

IMG_2751.thumb.jpeg.3aff8ccf0df23bcb289408eae20810ef.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Dirté Sanchez

The pods seem to be happily swimming around in the sump/refugium!! The water in that chamber is surprisingly clear now. Hoping that this time around I manage to actually grow algae, rather than have it just die in the tank. 

 

All the fish seem happy and cooperative at the moment. I adjusted the light levels yesterday and noticed that the BTA appreciated it much more with less white and green light, and has started being much more open and creeping toward the surface. Good to see the dumb thing join the rest of the world. The new strawberry crab (Pinky) has started making himself at home. 

 

So basically the thing I'm working on the most right now is growing that Ogo and pods. Anybody have tips or tricks? Comments on how to make the tank better? Deep thoughts by Jack Handy?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...