Coral Vue Hydros

The Fire Swamp's 50g SCA Starfire Cube- πŸ”₯🐊. Upgrade Coming Soon

ECLS Reefer

ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Glad to hear things are turning around!

-Id run longer than six weeks .... I think I went 9 weeks.Β Β 

Well, they seem comfy in there-only problem is a lack of light since it's an opaque plastic container. I dont want them to stop thriving because of being in the black hole for too long. There's plenty of water movement since we stuck a small powerhead and the little HOB filter in there to keep things moving. And an air stone. And it gets even darker at night since I cover it to help with heat containment. The poor DT looks lonely-the scarlet shrimp has been looking for the fish I think, venturing to the front of the tank.Β 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Β 

Thats good news. 😊

It's a small relief. Now if I could just get my skimmer to work again. It seems to have taken great offense to having been de-algaed the other day and cleaned. Now it has way too much air and froths like nuts. I can't regulate it down enough to get it to actually skim.Β 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Well, they seem comfy in there-only problem is a lack of light since it's an opaque plastic container. I dont want them to stop thriving because of being in the black hole for too long. There's plenty of water movement since we stuck a small powerhead and the little HOB filter in there to keep things moving. And an air stone. And it gets even darker at night since I cover it to help with heat containment. The poor DT looks lonely-the scarlet shrimp has been looking for the fish I think, venturing to the front of the tank.Β 

They'll be fine in the dim light.

You just want to make sure that whatever nasties in the display are completely gone before adding the fish back in ...... itd be a pisser to do it all over again.Β Β 

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
21 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

They'll be fine in the dim light.

You just want to make sure that whatever nasties in the display are completely gone before adding the fish back in ...... itd be a pisser to do it all over again.Β Β 

Yeah no joke. That and I'm sure we will have to see how they do once they go back in the DT before getting any of the lost replaced. I'd hate to put these back and then order new ones, only to have any of these remaining ones show symptoms the day new ones arrive. That'd be about par for my luck so far with this tank. Every time it seems to be rocking along, a disaster hits.Β 

Β 

My little Evo is doing well, but it has about one Darwin episode every 2-3 weeks, when The Brain (strawberry crab) snacks on a roommate. He ate Dr Weir the halloween hermit today. Such a bastard. But it seems he's the king of the tank, and as long as he's happy, it continues to sail along.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Yeah no joke. That and I'm sure we will have to see how they do once they go back in the DT before getting any of the lost replaced. I'd hate to put these back and then order new ones, only to have any of these remaining ones show symptoms the day new ones arrive. That'd be about par for my luck so far with this tank. Every time it seems to be rocking along, a disaster hits.Β 

Β 

My little Evo is doing well, but it has about one Darwin episode every 2-3 weeks, when The Brain (strawberry crab) snacks on a roommate. He ate Dr Weir the halloween hermit today. Such a bastard. But it seems he's the king of the tank, and as long as he's happy, it continues to sail along.

I've wanted a couple of those guys!Β  So, they're assholes?Β 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
Just now, jack1978 said:

This one is! I have another one-Pinky- in the big tank. He minds his own and hides throughout the day, and most of the crabs in there all get along. They're good sized crabs, so it's possible he's a bit big for the Evo. There's an emerald in with him to get all the hair algae, which he hasn't done yet, and they get along okay. It is funny to watch The Brain reach out from under his lair and all you see are his pink claws--they just reach out from nowhere and take things... I like watching him but I do get annoyed when he eats some of my favorite tank additions.Β 

Β 

I never found that RFA I got for the Evo, so I got a new one ordered from BlueZoo, and took a risk on a Condy, and I got two little anemone crabs to go with them. If they don't get along I can upsize one of them to the big tank. Too bad the halloween died-I love those. Finally got around to replacing the electric blue that The Brain probably disposed of as well, and then he eats the halloween. I got a new bigger scarlet shrimp coming as well.Β TURD.... I will lose my mind if he gets one of these new additions. BAD CRAB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
ECLS Reefer

Oh whoops-not a scarlet shrimp this time but a coral banded shrimp. I think I tried to pick something that would stand up to The Brain if I remember right. Memory is slippin today.πŸ€ͺ

ECLS Reefer
3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Glad to hear that the fish in QT are doing well. Fingers crossed you can beat whatever nasty is in there.

Got some of those ammonia badges you recommended. I can't really stick it in the QT container because it's opaque, so I put one in every glass tank-We shall see how well they work! Be nice not to have to test ammonia every other day like I usually do. Less testing equals more time!!

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
2 hours ago, jack1978 said:

The red scarlets are cool, those hairy clawed pricks are flaming fukn assholes.

2 hours ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Oh whoops-not a scarlet shrimp this time but a coral banded shrimp. I think I tried to pick something that would stand up to The Brain if I remember right. Memory is slippin today.πŸ€ͺ

If you think the strawberry crab is a dick wait till you get a load of that CBS's asshole temperament.

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

The red scarlets are cool, those hairy clawed pricks are flaming fukn assholes.

If you think the strawberry crab is a dick wait till you get a load of that CBS's asshole temperament.

Well then, I guess The Brain has some competition coming. I asked for a medium sized one I think, because I didn't want to see another big shrimp turned into a cocktail by that sneaky bastard. And I'd kind of hoped that the two little porcelains would go with their nems and keep out of trouble. Hope it doesn't all turn out to be silly dreams.

ECLS Reefer

So update, the fish are all doing pretty well in their sad opaque QT container. I take the top off during the day when I’m home to let them see some light, and they all spend a little time at the surface. I think they also figure that if I’m hovering over the water they’re gonna get fed, because they sit at the surface then attack whatever comes their way like piranhas.Β 

Β 

The lonely coral reef reef is doing pretty well. Did a water change in it tonight, pulled the old carbon and matrix bag out because I’ve been told ( @StinkyBunnyΒ ) that if i β€œleave that $&@! in there and keep using it I’ll crash the tank”. So, I’ll try going without, especially since the fish are out. Will finish pulling the media $&@! out Sunday probably, though I may need something to keep phosphates low. Not sure I’m ready to spring for a reactor- the phosphates are never THAT high. πŸ€”

Β 

Oh and no pictures lately. I can’t get my phone to focus right up close or far away, with or without the lens. Not sure what the problem is. Still working on it though- even broke out my old DSLR camera, which didn’t help at all. 😞

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

You can use the phosphate removing media, just not the rest of that shit. There's no way in hell I would ever use a media recharged by a chemical weapons agent, no way. You don't need it. GFO or AlO is fine, nitrate removing media does nothing but separate you from your money. Also, when you intervene and disrupt the biological cycle in either a freshwater or marine tank you WILL cause issues down the line. Add some ceramic media like Siporax or the Marine Pure blocks to add more biological capacity and in the centre of them will grow nitrate removing bacteria.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

You can use the phosphate removing media, just not the rest of that shit. There's no way in hell I would ever use a media recharged by a chemical weapons agent, no way. You don't need it. GFO or AlO is fine, nitrate removing media does nothing but separate you from your money. Also, when you intervene and disrupt the biological cycle in either a freshwater or marine tank you WILL cause issues down the line. Add some ceramic media like Siporax or the Marine Pure blocks to add more biological capacity and in the centre of them will grow nitrate removing bacteria.

I haven’t seen these blocks- do you get them on any reef supply place? And I keep seeing that the corals need some small amount of phos- if you run a reactor does that not pull it all out? I’d considered a GFO reactor but I didn’t want to strip all the phosΒ out.

StinkyBunny
On 7/6/2019 at 1:55 PM, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

I haven’t seen these blocks- do you get them on any reef supply place? And I keep seeing that the corals need some small amount of phos- if you run a reactor does that not pull it all out? I’d considered a GFO reactor but I didn’t want to strip all the phosΒ out.

You're not going to strip out enough phosphate to cause an issue using dry rock. I has plenty that will leach out. I think I got my blocks from Marine Depot or BRS on Black Friday. The Siporax is only available from certain sellers, I got mine off eBay, a place was going out of business so I bought 4 20 litre buckets of the stuff, I use it in my freshwater systems in the shop.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

Discouraged tonight for a number of reasons, but I gotta say it’s a real bummer to come home from a crappy work day and have no fish in the tank. These 8 weeks are gonna suck. ☹️

Β 

• Sad 3
7 minutes ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Β 

Β 

Looking good In there.. bummer about the fish but the 8 weeks will go by fast ! Get a shrimp their fun to watch.. and the pod explosion will be cool too.. keep on keeping on chika😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
3 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Looking good In there.. bummer about the fish but the 8 weeks will go by fast ! Get a shrimp their fun to watch.. and the pod explosion will be cool too.. keep on keeping on chika😎

Yeah the pods have already exploded. Makes me even more sad that the tank got sick and the mandarins died. Now I have a mandarin in the Evo that needs pods and I’m afraid to take any from the SCA for fear of contaminating the Evo. Oh well I have some pods on the way. And maybe those will keep growing until I can reintroduce fish.Β 

Β 

There is a shrimp or two in thereβ€” the Red Baron, junior and Gigantor the tiger pistol. The RBJ tends to hang out in the back of the rocks though, with the BTA. I fed the BTA tonight and RBJ tried to steal it-cannabalistic thing! I got some peppermints coming tomorrow to hopefully get after the aptasia explosion in there.Β Β 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

Yeah the pods have already exploded. Makes me even more sad that the tank got sick and the mandarins died. Now I have a mandarin in the Evo that needs pods and I’m afraid to take any from the SCA for fear of contaminating the Evo. Oh well I have some pods on the way. And maybe those will keep growing until I can reintroduce fish.Β 

Β 

There is a shrimp or two in thereβ€” the Red Baron, junior and Gigantor the tiger pistol. The RBJ tends to hang out in the back of the rocks though, with the BTA. I fed the BTA tonight and RBJ tried to steal it-cannabalistic thing! I got some peppermints coming tomorrow to hopefully get after the aptasia explosion in there.Β Β 

Those peppermint will eat your lps when they get rid of the aptaisa be careful with those guys😊

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer

So update on sump configuration: I’ve finally pulled out the big media bags. There’s still two little ones I’ll grab tomorrow, and then all I’ll have is phosguard in a bag, since I don’t have a reactor.Β 

Β 

Questionβ€” can you run phosguard in a reactor? GFO looks messy to me... Will probably spring for a Reef Octopus reactor in the next month or so. Maybe upgrade the Skimmer too, as we have one that is rated at exactly 50g if I remember right.Β 

Β 

Corals are doing well, and I finally got some Reef Roids to try. Have fed them that exactly three times so I can’t say that I’ve seen a huge improvement- they’d been doing well with less bioload anyway. I’m just happy they’re doing good and growing- one of the zoas has split off and is trying to grow a polyp next to the glass!Β 

Β 

So overall, good news for the day!

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
3 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Those peppermint will eat your lps when they get rid of the aptaisa be careful with those guys😊

There’s a lot of aptasia- that stuff comes out of nowhere in like, army of the dead strength. But what do you do to distract them when they get it all? I only got two- maybe I’ll move them to the sump when they’re done?

2 minutes ago, DirtΓ© Sanchez said:

There’s a lot of aptasia- that stuff comes out of nowhere in like, army of the dead strength. But what do you do to distract them when they get it all? I only got two- maybe I’ll move them to the sump when they’re done?

Distract them well I dunno.. I had to rehome mine when they finished my apstaia.. well after they started coral munching.. once I got the apstaia under control I went with apstaitaX for controlΒ 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
30 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Distract them well I dunno.. I had to rehome mine when they finished my apstaia.. well after they started coral munching.. once I got the apstaia under control I went with apstaitaX for controlΒ 

Well, I wanted something alive to watch... I’ve always got the sump for them- it’s pretty lonely too since I put the YTD in the QT tub too.

• ECLS Reefer changed the title to The Fire Swamp's 50g SCA Starfire Cube- πŸ”₯🐊. Upgrade Coming Soon