Cultivated Reef

First Pico Build, seeking input/advice

falcooo

I’m now a year into the hobby and have a 10g mixed reef tank. I’ve recently been intrigued by the idea of keeping an extremely simple low-maintenance pico reef. So once the seed is planted, research immediately ensues. Here’s what I’ve got so far.

Fluval EVO 5 w/ stock light
             -Silicone the hole on the false back, as well as the slit in the back chamber divider wall.

DIY filter media basket with filter floss, phosphate removal pad, and chemi-pure blue.

5lb live sand, 5lb live rock, and mainly all softies except maybe a couple hardy LPS. Also, only 1 fish. Most likely a goby with a pistol shrimp, as well as other inverts.

However, I am unsure what to do about the flow. I’ll be drilling holes in the return hose for rear chamber circulation to help with temperature control as the heater will be housed in the back. But I don’t know how much those holes will reduce efficiency of the return pump. I’d love to not have a powerhead in the display, and would like to upgrade the return pump to a MiniJet 606 @ 159 GPH, with the plastic sides removed to make it fit. Does that work? Has anyone found a pump upgrade that fits?

Maintenance wise, just manual top offs and weekly water changes. 

Please let me know how this sounds. I appreciate any input or suggestions. I know it’s generally understood that the smaller the tank, the more difficult. But I hope by keeping it simple, I can set the tank up for success. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Sounds like an interesting build

are you going to keep any Macroalgae?

I don't plan to, but honestly I don't know much about Macros other than that they're beneficial for water chemistry. How do they do alongside softies/LPS?

Has anyone who owns this tank ran it with the stock light? How does it fare with softies? I have no plans of adding any SPS or difficult LPS. 

Also, any suggestions for upgrading the return pump? Would a rigged MiniJet 606 provide adequate flow without a powerhead?

Come on pico-reefers, I’d love to hear some thoughts. Someone has to have experience with this Fluval given how affordable the starter kit is.