Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kole or Bristletooth Tang in 10 Gal?

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Hello! I'm wondering if I can get a small Kole or Bristletooth Tang in a 10 gallon tank. I'm pretty sure not, but still. I heard they are the more peaceful type of tang and they do good in smaller tanks like 55 gallons.

If I can't, how about a small Flame or Coral Beauty Angelfish?

Also, has anyone tried any of these fish in a tank smaller than 30 gallons?

Gourami Swami

No way man. It's far too small. Fish would go crazy. Stick to small fish for small tank.

Most of us would consider 55g too small eve, and that is a huge difference from a 10 gallon

• Like 1
11 hours ago, CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:

Hello! I'm wondering if I can get a small Kole or Bristletooth Tang in a 10 gallon tank. I'm pretty sure not, but still. I heard they are the more peaceful type of tang and they do good in smaller tanks like 55 gallons.

If I can't, how about a small Flame or Coral Beauty Angelfish?

Also, has anyone tried any of these fish in a tank smaller than 30 gallons?

No to tangs or angels... they need space to move to remain healthy long-term. Tangs are SCHOOLING fish that travel far in one day. It is very stressful for a tang in the wild to go from this:

yellow-tangs-breeding-tropical-fish.jpg

to your tiny glass box.

I would say try for 75g min for the smallest species of tangs for long term health. Bigger is better. 

I would say 20g Long for a Cherub angel, 30g+ for other dwarfs. Cherubs can turn really aggressive btw, the smaller the tank, the more pissed off they can get. 

Just get a bigger tank? Petco's tanks are inexpensive when they go on sale (which is several times a year).

Disclaimer: I would say grow out tanks are an exception. If you bought a nickel sized captive bred yellow Tang it would be dumb to drop it in with other adult tangs in the DT. I can get behind growing one out in say a 30 long or 40 breeder.

However make sure you have the finances and ability to upgrade and not just be that guy who says he is going to get a 300g but then states in another thread they can't afford even basic equipment for their 20g. Those are the worst types.

• Like 2
On 4/18/2019 at 11:17 AM, William said:

No, and no. 

The only angel I would consider would be a cherub, and that is pushing it. 

A pygmy angel in a 10 gallon? 

I have a Yellow Tailed Pygmy in a 24g and that's even pushing it. 

My other fish are semi aggressive so they can somewhat hold there own. 

Its not only because of the size, its because they are extremely mean when they claim territory.  

No as others said NO Angels period.. not even a cherub... they need SPACE so your other fish can run away from it, when it starts to PMS.  

To be honest i think a 30g would be minimum for the safety of your other fish.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Naekuh said:

A pygmy angel in a 10 gallon? 

I have a Yellow Tailed Pygmy in a 24g and that's even pushing it. 

My other fish are semi aggressive so they can somewhat hold there own. 

Its not only because of the size, its because they are extremely mean when they claim territory.  

No as others said NO Angels period.. not even a cherub... they need SPACE so your other fish can run away from it, when it starts to PMS.  

To be honest i think a 30g would be minimum for the safety of your other fish.

The 10 gal would be for a species only tanks. 

I had a pygmy in a 10g temporarily (came with a tank I bought) until I could re-home it. That fish was extremely active and fast, no way it belonged in a 10g even alone imo. It had no room to really swim. Watching it go in small circles was pretty depressing. Reminded me of the zoo animals in small cages where you can see the path they wore into the ground just walking in the same spot for hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only reason why i say im cutting it on a 24 and not a 30, is because i have lots of live rock with lots of caves for my other fish to ditch the angel if and when she pms.  

But its a double edge sword, as the angel also loves to dart in and out of the live rock and pick off the live rock. 

I only have 5 small fish in that tank, and cuz of the that angel, i am probably no longer allowed any additional fish unless it was a puffer or trigger, and well, adding either of those 2 in a 24 would make me selfish like the OP.  They would probably also wreck my corals, as i am already overfeeding my angel so she doesn't ever sample one of my corals from being hungry. 

Justin_Luke
2 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Heard a 55 might be ok(which it's not)... So, how bout a 10?

What?lol

Hey, give them a break. They didn't actually do it, they just asked a question, which is what this place if for. Don't make them feel bad for asking a question. If they go ahead and put the tang in a ten gal then go at it, but for now they get the point

• Like 2
Justin_Luke
1 minute ago, MrObscura said:

They say there are no dumb questions... 

But, a 10g? A 10g? 

Dude, you and I didn't start the hobby knowing much about how to keep a tank. Nobody knows anything when they start. That's part of it, you ask questions, you learn, and then you keep getting better. 

• Like 2

Absolutely, but I simply can't comprehend the thought process that leads from hearing a 55g maybe being  enough to a 10 being a possibility.

They know enough to name these fish by name, know that a 55 is pushing it, but thinks it's reasonable to ask if a 10 is cool? 

I think we might be getting trolled. Lol

I don’t necessarily think seeing a 1” regal tang and wondering if it can go in a 10 gal is crazy, especially not knowing how big they get. 

• Like 1
On 4/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, William said:

I don’t necessarily think seeing a 1” regal tang and wondering if it can go in a 10 gal is crazy, especially not knowing how big they get. 

lolol...

what about this guy.... he looks cute huh...   :X

That is a vlamingi tang btw....  

240px-Naso_vlamingi.jpg