Cultivated Reef

Kait’s Kiddo Lagoon

NaturallyKait

Looking forward to hear your results on the Fritz.

I've switched to just buying water at the LSF 10 gallons at a time.  I do a 5 gallon water change every Saturday which represents about 37% water change.

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
32 minutes ago, Scotty Amen said:

Looking forward to hear your results on the Fritz.

I've switched to just buying water at the LSF 10 gallons at a time.  I do a 5 gallon water change every Saturday which represents about 37% water change.

I did my first change with it on Saturday and it really does mix up really quickly. I’m a fan so far. 

• 4 weeks later...
NaturallyKait

Well, we’re prepping for Dorian. We don’t typically get horrible hurricanes here but we’ll see what happens as the storm keeps moving. It just got upgraded to a category 2 again. 

Battery op bubbler on standby. Hopefully this ends up being nothing 🤞🏻

• Wow 2

Make it through the storm ok?

As it neared FL I started thinking about that if we lost power for three days like we did in 2017 for Hurricane Irma, all my fishies, plants and corals would be dead (2 tanks).  Right now I do have a UPS backup battery but I need to get a small generator plan going so I can keep these guys alive, we lose power sometimes.

• Like 2

We were lucky. The storm downgraded to post tropical just as it hit us and while a lot of people still lost power we didn’t by some miracle. 

Tank is doing great. Everything is happy, just trying to decide what to do next. 

Newest FTS ☺️

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Coral Time !?!?

I hope so soon! Our LFS has had terrible selection lately, but I’m hoping to get my hands on something soon 🤞🏻

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Coral Time !?!?

I'd say it's definitely Coral Time. 😁 Then again I'd probably say that regardless of what time it actually is. 🤷‍♂️

Nice work dodging Dorian! Glad to hear you didn't run into any tank troubles. I feel like you would have been able to handle it with the battery bubbler since you don't have any sensitive inverts in here yet, but still... it's better to not have to find out! 

• Like 1

Well, we averted a crisis tonight. 

It’s never a good thing when your aquarium stand makes weird sounds. 

I had to text my spouse to find an emergency solution, we moved the tank and dosed some prime just in case of an ammonia spike. Now we need a new permanent solution. Funny how when I wanted to build a DIY stand and he thought that was a silly idea because we’d mess it up and the tank wouldn’t be safe...now he wants to build one. So we’ll see if that happens. At least the tank is level again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1

It was a nerve wracking few hours while we figured it out. I’m so glad I was home. All is well this morning. I hope we figure out what we’re going to do soon. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently it’s time to make a decision. 

We’ve been debating an upgrade anyway. Potentially one of the IM Nuvos (20 or 25). Now we’re trying to figure out if we rehome the mean clownfish or if we keep two tanks. I don’t know if I have the time and energy for two tanks, but I sure don’t want to break the 4 year old’s heart. Going to have to figure it out soon. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Apparently it’s time to make a decision. 

We’ve been debating an upgrade anyway. Potentially one of the IM Nuvos (20 or 25). Now we’re trying to figure out if we rehome the mean clownfish or if we keep two tanks. I don’t know if I have the time and energy for two tanks, but I sure don’t want to break the 4 year old’s heart. Going to have to figure it out soon. 

Tank has been looking great. 😊

If you are going to do two tanks for awhile you could always keep them separate and then reintroduce them in the new bigger tank. 

5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Tank has been looking great. 😊

If you are going to do two tanks for awhile you could always keep them separate and then reintroduce them in the new bigger tank. 

Thanks 😃

I don’t think a bigger tank is going to solve it unfortunately. We did trial them back together in the QT and they went right back to nearly killing each other instantly. The smaller one went through seemingly a growth spurt lately and is now the same size as the female. I think that’s the main issue. 

• Like 3

The poor tiny reefer is probably not going to like it, but I think rehoming might be the best bet in this situation. 😥 That or a battle royale, last fish standing, no holds barred. Perhaps it could turn into a lesson in the ways of nature?

I'm just kidding; please don't pit your clowns against each other in a fight to the death. 😅

Perhaps you could replace one of the clowns with another interesting fish? I know it won't be Nemo, but there's a lot of variety out there in the sea and surely something else might catch the little one's eye. (Watch, next he's going to want an achilles tang or a triggerfish or something 😂)

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, billygoat said:

The poor tiny reefer is probably not going to like it, but I think rehoming might be the best bet in this situation. 😥 That or a battle royale, last fish standing, no holds barred. Perhaps it could turn into a lesson in the ways of nature?

I'm just kidding; please don't pit your clowns against each other in a fight to the death. 😅

Perhaps you could replace one of the clowns with another interesting fish? I know it won't be Nemo, but there's a lot of variety out there in the sea and surely something else might catch the little one's eye. (Watch, next he's going to want an achilles tang or a triggerfish or something 😂)

Haha, I would never let them duke it out to the death. I separated them exactly because that’s what was happening basically, little guy wasn’t back down anymore and they were full on battling for dominance. Don’t worry, no gladiator fights here. 

What he really wants is a blue tang, of course 😂. Clearly not happening in a 13 gallon tank. I’m debating trying a baby clown in with the misbar (which is the clownfish who’s still in the main tank, the slightly nicer one) but I worry we’d just end up in the same situation. Fish selection is pretty poor around here though. 

• Like 2
NaturallyKait

I think I’ve pretty much resolved myself to the idea that one of the clowns is going to have to be rehomed. I hate to do it, but I just don’t think I can handle two tanks right now on top of three disabled kids during cold and flu season. Yikes. Hopefully we can find someone to take her. 

Now to decide what fish to potentially replace her with. 

• Like 2
NaturallyKait

We did a thing today. 

My LFS still didn’t have much that I was interested, but I did find this hanging out in the back of the frag tank. Figured it was worth a try! 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 4
NaturallyKait
5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Those look like mega rainbows   :]

Oh maybe! They look a little different but I’ll have to keep an eye on them to see how the colours brighten up. They’re pretty, whatever they are. 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

So I’m in the hospital since yesterday, will be for a few more days at least. Which means my spouse is taking care of the tank and the QT the other clownfish is still in. 

Oh boy. He is not fond of the tank. I’m sure he’s over feeding. I was already a little overdue for a water change because I’ve been feeling under the weather. Oh and I don’t have an ATO, I top off manually. Which I have demonstrated to him before. But he apparently didn’t watch carefully like he said he did. Tonight he messages me. “The water seems low in the back, but I topped up” 🤔. So we FaceTime. He’s been topping up incorrectly. I don’t know how the pump didn’t burn out or the heater didn’t break. 

Oh and the timer my lights are on decided to stop working. 

If I still have a tank by the time I get out of here it’ll be a miracle. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1