Cultivated Reef

Worm / Larva ?

GTi

Hi. I just received an order from LiveAquaria and have acclimated and transferred it to my QT. The order included some Codium and something hitchhiked in, most likely on the macro.

It's a little under 1/2" long, purple in color (lights are off for a bit longer so it's hard to tell). It is segmented, like a work and can move along a surface like an inch worm but can also swim in open water quite well. There are 2 appendages (look like antennae but probably aren't) on its 'head' and 2 arm like structures further along the body. At the tail end, there are multiple structures that splay out and hold on to a surface.

In the attached photo it is 'head' down.

When it is in the current it looks like one of these tall inflatable bendy guys they use to advertise at car dealerships.

I'm hoping it's safe for the tank. I'm also hoping the puffer doesn't eat it (unless it's bad) because he seems to be taking a bite out of everything else in the QT right now...

Thanks!

IMG_0293.jpg

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, GTi said:

Hi. I just received an order from LiveAquaria and have acclimated and transferred it to my QT. The order included some Codium and something hitchhiked in, most likely on the macro.

It's a little under 1/2" long, purple in color (lights are off for a bit longer so it's hard to tell). It is segmented, like a work and can move along a surface like an inch worm but can also swim in open water quite well. There are 2 appendages (look like antennae but probably aren't) on its 'head' and 2 arm like structures further along the body. At the tail end, there are multiple structures that splay out and hold on to a surface.

In the attached photo it is 'head' down.

When it is in the current it looks like one of these tall inflatable bendy guys they use to advertise at car dealerships.

I'm hoping it's safe for the tank. I'm also hoping the puffer doesn't eat it (unless it's bad) because he seems to be taking a bite out of everything else in the QT right now...

Thanks!

IMG_0293.jpg

Skeleton Shrimp. They are common macro hitchhikers. 

And super cute. 😊

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Skeleton Shrimp. They are common macro hitchhikers. 

And super cute. 😊

Thanks Christy - I've never heard of them.  I think the puffer got him because I haven't seen him today. ☹️

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GTi said:

Thanks Christy - I've never heard of them.  I think the puffer got him because I haven't seen him today. ☹️

I had two once and they didn’t last long either. My Scooter Blenny ate one and Im not sure about the other one. 

I always liked this pic because it looks like he’s holding a drink. 😄

54F0BD15-9F8E-4D85-A83F-A0481B8A0C33.thumb.jpeg.31dcc8ae4d50847596d637b500a2c234.jpeg

• Like 1