inTank Media Baskets

Zoas not fully open for 4 days?

Daniel91

863FA1FB-316B-4BF8-B775-E0DE70C90558.thumb.jpeg.56c2d28de8baa852370d4c0d2680e6f4.jpeg

So I have this mini coloni of Sunny Ds and they refuse to open up more than this.

They are stretching but only half open? Currently places in low-to-mid flow on sand bed.

Nitrate 10

Phos Unknown

Alk 8.1

CA 420-450

MG Unknown

Temp 79

Salinity 0.025

Everything else is thriving and open - even my two other Zoa frags 

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

So I have this mini coloni of Sunny Ds and they refuse to open up more than this.

They are stretching but only half open?

Have they only been in your system for 4 days, or did they recently close up? If they're a new addition, zoanthid frags will often need a good 7-10 days to fully acclimate and open up all the way. Big changes in light can also do this.

10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Have they only been in your system for 4 days, or did they recently close up? If they're a new addition, zoanthid frags will often need a good 7-10 days to fully acclimate and open up all the way. Big changes in light can also do this.

I’ve had them for a few weeks but it’s been up and down, open/close.

Now they’ve been like this for the last 4

Christopher Marks
34 minutes ago, Daniel91 said:

At what time should I consider a peroxide dip? 

Hmm, I would try moving them to a different area first, if it were mine. Higher light and perhaps more flow. Not all zoanthids like the same conditions, even if you have some others that are happy in a similar setting, try something a little different with these since they haven't responded yet.

When was your last water change? Any reaction after new saltwater is put in?

• Like 1

Thought I would update/close the thread by saying that almost all the polyps are now open (some more than others)

A waterchange and move for higher par seems to have done the trick 🙂

• Like 3