Pod Your Reef

9 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Lovin this tank, need your zoa connect!! Wao!! My fav are the magicians..

Thanks! I got them all from local reefers in Chicago. Locals tend to have better stuff than most stores around imo.

• Like 1

The algae has gotten better, but it's not how I want it to be. Still making the zoas close up, but the nems are still looking good. 👌

20190520_073642.thumb.jpg.e3ac5616d69ad21279fe751479c30430.jpg20190520_073656.thumb.jpg.59674174849a2b59765ae31e0457d9bb.jpg

I also found this lil stomatella lurking in the filter. Have no clue how it ended up in there. I had one 3mm one in my main tank, but I never added anything to this tank that was from the main besides the nems. So must have hiked in on some zoas. 🤷‍♂️

20190520_070534.thumb.jpg.b711821ab6ddca1ab394593fbfe2e00a.jpg

The chaeto has also been crankin itself out, very dense. This is how much has grown since my last update.

20190520_070731.thumb.jpg.48ae0851e7fc8f292559c48739108f4b.jpg

And a FTS

20190520_073210.thumb.jpg.5d8824b63650b19df141de3696b96822.jpg

I hope that whoever is going to be taking care of this tank after I'm gone won't neglect it like I have been doing...

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Joevember said:

Thanks! I got them all from local reefers in Chicago. Locals tend to have better stuff than most stores around imo.

Thats What I've been trying to do too keep it local and cheaper. 

• Like 1

I just got the tank moved back to my house yesterday, and I gotta say that it is very easy to move this thing. I was going to make a post a few days ago about the purple porcelain crab because I thought that it died, but it was just a molt 😅ross.jpg.2a65be210ef266bf5a4e4cd5003b46cf.jpg

But I actually did lose a cool member of the tank over memorial day weekend. The big RFA got out of its dish that I had for it and into the filter intake. Luckily it wasn't chopped up at all by the impeller, but it was still a big L. And the smell when I removed it definitely takes the cake for the worst smell in this hobby.

When I got the tank moved I did a 60% water change, which was the first since I got the tank to school... Needless to say the tank looks several times better and the zoas are opening again. I'll get some more pics out when I get back; I took this 10 minutes after they came on then I had to leave

20190529_062758.thumb.jpg.748529f4442da41bfec064d52af29eda.jpg

• Like 7

Sorry to hear of the RFA loss...

Some move on people, knock on wood..

Mine pretty much hang out right where I put them.

Everything is looking good now!

What kind of flow do you have on the zoas? They're so open & happy 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wendy said:

Sorry to hear of the RFA loss...

Some move on people, knock on wood..

Mine pretty much hang out right where I put them.

Everything is looking good now!

What kind of flow do you have on the zoas? They're so open & happy 🙂

Just what's comin out of the filter. Still waiting on the sunny d's to open up though.

• Like 1

I've been waiting for the tank to clear up so I can get good pics that I said I would get, but stuff is still looking unhappy. The zoas I got from one of the local guys are all looking bad, probably because they were used to being treated better in his tank. The other ones are a lot better looking.

The crab's claw is also 100% grown back after the molt. It's amazing how they can just regrow something like that so quickly. He's feeling a lot more confident in the tank now. I see him on the scape with his 'filter things' out. Glad to see him more, he's a very cool little dude. He's still not courageous enough for me to get my phone in for a good pic 😅

20190530_060951.thumb.jpg.6d8f7aa27ba0d09de757a1cb535f853b.jpg

20190531_135639.jpg

20190531_135624.jpg

20190531_135629.jpg

20190530_061033.jpg

20190530_061139.jpg

20190530_061433.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I think you jinxed me @Wendy. Mini maxi found it's way to the intake, but it's still responsive to touch so I just left it on the ground to get itself out and think about what it did. 

First pic is what it looked like at 7, and 2nd is when I posted this. Most of it is out of the intake.

20190602_073634.jpg

20190602_161731.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2

Did a 75% water change yesterday and it looks like it cleared everything up. The zoas that were closed are all open, but not in the pics I got because dum dum was walking all over them.

20190605_153227.thumb.jpg.af10fd9d9b2a460fb748f3586f44f3ab.jpg

I also turned the photoperiod on the fuge down by a couple hours too because the light was seeping out of the filter into the tank. The brown algae that has been growing on the top of the scape has been thinning out too, probably because less light was hitting it at night. 

Unfortunately the mini maxi died. The side of it was more shredded than I thought and it never got its foot attached to anything. It was also completely unresponsive to everything on the non necrotic side. Only got it for $20 so not that mad about it. Still gotta find something to cover the intake though.

20190605_153235.thumb.jpg.7239e2986f873a6fdfcb6a2138d58492.jpg

Pic of the crab feeding20190605_153258.thumb.jpg.ce8557612f45aff2218d102edd8a7712.jpg20190605_153340.thumb.jpg.51002c6da2cbf7abc90009dc7609f99e.jpg20190605_153222.thumb.jpg.6715ce91ef026ef359ef0c8b702d42d3.jpg

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, Wingy said:

If your not using the sponge that came with your filter you can jam that on the end of the intake pipe.  

I'll try that out when I get home, thanks.

This is my new favorite tank on the website.  I love everything about it - the corals, the CUC, the rockscape, and even the tank.  I hope you continue to regularly update - I really enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, got2envy said:

Yasss loving it so far! 

34 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

This is my new favorite tank on the website.  I love everything about it - the corals, the CUC, the rockscape, and even the tank.  I hope you continue to regularly update - I really enjoy it. 

Thanks! 😄 Means a lot. Will keep updating regularly, and I'll be trying to find some more softies for it.  

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the nem, but everything else looks wonderful! Nicely done so far! I really dig the top down shot!

• Thanks 1

Just GORGEOUS!!!

I love the top down shot!

Sorry to hear about your mini maxi nem, these little guys get so pissy tho...

Curiuos... what are you feeding your corals?

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Wendy said:

Just GORGEOUS!!!

I love the top down shot!

Sorry to hear about your mini maxi nem, these little guys get so pissy tho...

Curiuos... what are you feeding your corals?

I don't feed the zoas anything. They don't have a very apparent feeding response so I never feed them. I'll try to give 'em some reef roids/chili some day.

The RFAs get a frozen mysis every week. Sometimes they put it down other times they let it go. If they spit it out it's just more mysis for the crabs 🦀 I give the crabs pieces of mysis every week as well, on different days. I'm also spot feeding the porcelain crab goniopora powder which it LOVES. I want to get a video of it feeding with its filter apendages because that's when it's the most active.

Thanks for all the love and attention on the tank recently too. I didn't think the tank was looking too hot a few weeks ago, but it's really coming together. Really enjoying this competition so far. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the info on what you feed @Joevember! I haven't tried feeding mysis to my RFAs yet, I should do that.

I have fed the tank reef roids & some of the RFAs took that as well as recordeas & acans.

Is your goniopora powder made by 2 little fishies & says 'Goniopower' on the container? I want to find something my porcelain crab would like, it didn't seem to care about reef roids.

I'd love to see the video of your porcelain feeding when you get it!

Mine is pretty elusive & will put it's fans away when my phone gets close to the glass 😞

I had to look back through your thread & remind myself what happened...

You'd never know that your heater exploded & just about killed everything!

How do you like the inkbird? I got one, but haven't hooked it up yet b/c my heater keeps the pico at a steady 78°.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Thanks for the info on what you feed @Joevember! I haven't tried feeding mysis to my RFAs yet, I should do that.

I have fed the tank reef roids & some of the RFAs took that as well as recordeas & acans.

Is your goniopora powder made by 2 little fishies & says 'Goniopower' on the container? I want to find something my porcelain crab would like, it didn't seem to care about reef roids.

I'd love to see the video of your porcelain feeding when you get it!

Mine is pretty elusive & will put it's fans away when my phone gets close to the glass 😞

I had to look back through your thread & remind myself what happened...

You'd never know that your heater exploded & just about killed everything!

How do you like the inkbird? I got one, but haven't hooked it up yet b/c my heater keeps the pico at a steady 78°.

It's the one that says goniopower. I've never actually kept gonioporas before, I think I won it at aquashella. Found a good use for it. My corals like it too, but I think they enjoy reef roids a little better.

It's kinda crazy how I had to restart the tank. I'm always going to have the InkBird running (just from past experience...), and it does its job well. I have the blue one so the temp is always bouncing between 77 and 78. If the tank ever has an overheating problem I might get the green one and a leftover computer fan, then I'll be set. Set it up if you want that extra security, but other than that it's just extra wires.

• Thanks 1