Cultivated Reef

Hello

jakesweep

Hey all. I've been a lurker for many years. I had a 20L reef tank years ago, but got out of it when I moved across the country and never picked it back up. I have however recently been bit by the bug again. Looking forward to meting you and joining the community!

I'm back in research mode, learning about all the new stuff out there and planning a new setup. Here's a pic of my old rig:

old_tank.jpg

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, jakesweep said:

Hey all. I've been a lurker for many years. I had a 20L reef tank years ago, but got out of it when I moved across the country and never picked it back up. I have however recently been bit by the bug again. Looking forward to meting you and joining the community!

I'm back in research mode, learning about all the new stuff out there and planning a new setup. Here's a pic of my old rig:

old_tank.jpg

Welcome to NR! 😊

• Like 2

I have lots of ideas! Just can't seem to pick one. I like the idea of these AIO tanks that are around now. I've had my eye on the Red Sea Nano and the 170 Reefer. On the other hand, I kind of want to do it all piecemeal and keep it as flexible and upgradeable as possible. I feel like it would be more rewarding that way.

Regardless, I'm thinking 20-40 gallons and I want to focus on making it fun and easy maintenance-wise. It's cool that there are so many eco-sustainable options out now too. I was looking into Life Rock, tank-raised corals/fish, and LED lighting. I definitely would want to using stuff like that a priority.

On a similar note, I eventually want to get into propping corals at some point for fun.

• Like 2

Yes, I think that you'll be happy with the advancements that have been made in the hobby. How many years has it been since your last tank?

I'm pretty new myself, so I made things easy in terms of livestock and maintenance too. I've had a lot of fun so far! 

Any particular livestock or corals that have caught your eye?

• Like 1

Well, my oldest kiddo was just a baby, so it's been 12 years I guess. My kids are another reason I want to make it easy. I want them to have fun with it too.

I would be happy with the same types of corals in the old tank. Had some cool Zoas, Ricordeas, and a Duncan I really liked. Time will tell on the fish. That will be more of a family decision. Hopefully my kids will geek out on it with me.

What about you? What do you have going on?

• Like 1

Wow, that has been a while! Haha, get them started young! That's cool that you're involving your kids in it. Hopefully it gets you all some good bonding time together.

Mine's a dedicated softy tank. 10g with a HOB refugium and a $60 light. I'm a college student, so wanted to do something small and relatively cheap. Easy too. I do a small weekly water change, then feed a little bit a few times a day. Clean the glass every day or two. 

Here's my journal, if you're interested. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's been a journey! Ups and downs, but mostly up. :lol:  

Goby still hasn't eaten prepared food though. Looking a little thin. Still acting normal.