Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Quarantined Fish (Stores)

GrumpyDaddy68

GrumpyDaddy68

Hi all,

I'm new in the hobby; my tank is still in cycling process - IM 25 lagoon... (19 days). See image for a little peek ); I was wondering if you guys recommend an online store to buy 'quarantined' fish. I have red several threads but the reviews are kind of old. Honestly, at this point I am just looking for two clownish to start with. I know that in the future I might need to setup a quarantine/hospital tank... (I just want to hold on buying new equipment at this point).

Thanks for your help.

GrumpysLagoon.jpg

17 hours ago, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Hi all,

I'm new in the hobby; my tank is still in cycling process - IM 25 lagoon... (19 days). See image for a little peek ); I was wondering if you guys recommend an online store to buy 'quarantined' fish. I have red several threads but the reviews are kind of old. Honestly, at this point I am just looking for two clownish to start with. I know that in the future I might need to setup a quarantine/hospital tank... (I just want to hold on buying new equipment at this point).

Thanks for your help.

GrumpysLagoon.jpg

I don't know of any store that TRULY QT fish... they 'condition' them on places like Divers Den. You can't really say a fish has been Quarantined in just two weeks time.

If you want some pretty reliably disease free fish, you simply buy them directly from the breeder. You can do this by ordering them at your LFS and picking them up IN THE BAG (they can't touch LFS water!).

You can also order drop shipped directly from ORA by buying them on Live Aquaria. 

I got mine directly from a breeder (Booyah's Reef) at a frag swap.

GrumpyDaddy68

Thanks Tamberav,

I went yesterday to my LFS and they get their fish from 'SeaandReef'; they told me that they get shipment every 2-3 weeks. I will be ordering a couple and ask them not to put in their water and hold them for me.

What you said is that I can order from Live Aquaria requesting 'Drop Shipping' from ORA? 

Thanks,

Just now, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Thanks Tamberav,

I went yesterday to my LFS and they get their fish from 'SeaandReef'; they told me that they get shipment every 2-3 weeks. I will be ordering a couple and ask them not to put in their water and hold them for me.

What you said is that I can order from Live Aquaria requesting 'Drop Shipping' from ORA? 

Thanks,

If you order off Live Aquaria under the ORA fish they will always be sent directly from the ORA facility in Florida. (Not the ora fish on Divers Den...just the LA part).

• 2 weeks later...
BlennyBoi
22 hours ago, GrumpyDaddy68 said:

Thanks!!

At some point yes; I like softies and LPS... However it will be fish only at the beginning.

nice! cant wait to see it once youre done!

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re doing clowns first without an anenmome I would recommend captive bred clowns because most of those are raised without an anenome and they’re easier to acclimate and there’s less chances of food strike

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I would be careful with expectations of fish coming to you sight-unseen and through a long-distance shipping trip.

Buying healthy fish that you can see in front of you and that you can take home with you (or not) is a better option any time you have it. 

If your local store has practices you don't like, see if they'll order in fish for you.   You pick them up on delivery day and they never enter the store's process.  Gives you some control vs buying online since you can agree to specific terms with your LFS, but with no delusions of getting something better than a wholesale-quality fish.  (That implies a lot of potential extra responsibility vs just taking home healthy fish from a local store, but for some folks/situations taking on the extra responsibility could be their best option.)