Top Shelf Aquatics

Snow's 60G Secret Predatory Sanctum 🐲🐉 - Shutting Down

Snow_Phoenix

Critteraholic

Sending well wishes for your 2nd shot and some hope. Not everyone gets sick. A lot do get tired for a day or so. My neighbor had no symptoms.  My 79 year old mother was tired for the rest of the day and went to bed early and woke up fine.

My 82 year old mother-in-law had no symptoms. Now, my son got a fever that evening, 104 I think, got up to get something drink and use the bathroom and slept for 10 hours and woke up fine. I know only 1 person who got sick for a week and she was young and healthy! So chin up and think positive! Maybe you'll sail through this! Best wishes! 🤗

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
7 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

Sending well wishes for your 2nd shot and some hope. Not everyone gets sick. A lot do get tired for a day or so. My neighbor had no symptoms.  My 79 year old mother was tired for the rest of the day and went to bed early and woke up fine.

My 82 year old mother-in-law had no symptoms. Now, my son got a fever that evening, 104 I think, got up to get something drink and use the bathroom and slept for 10 hours and woke up fine. I know only 1 person who got sick for a week and she was young and healthy! So chin up and think positive! Maybe you'll sail through this! Best wishes! 🤗

Thank you so much. I'm actually quite nervous. My mum had to take paracetemol 4x over the course of 3 days after her second dose, and her immune system is stronger than mine. I actually developed fever after the first dose itself. It wasn't too bad, but I did feel very tired for a week. Thinking of nipping out to a local store nearby & stocking up on soft drinks, chocolates & ice cream - as a source of energy as well as comfort food, because I *might be stuck in bed for a few days. 

I don't think I have time to WC my 10G nanoreef though, which sucks because the cyano is unsightly. This tank is on autopilot though, and all I have to do is feed the fish. They'll be fully pellets and live pods pumped from the fuge-sump when I'm down. Once I'm better, I'll resume the usual feeding regime. 

I'm going to try and clean out the canister filter for my 70G predator tank, but it has been a very rainy day and now the water/air is very chilly. So I'm not sure if I should, or should not do it. 😕 

• Like 3
Critteraholic

Ooooooo, CHOCOLATE!    And ICE CREAM!   YES!  :happydance:

The cold and I don't get along.  I'm wearing coats when everyone else is in T-shirts. UGH  If you do decide to do it, wrap up and stay warm!

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Two of the rocks have some patches of green turf algae on them. I noticed that they popped up just after my main sea urchin, Tux, was slowing down with age. 

Might need to pick up more urchins and snails in the future. I haven't seen Foxy the foxface touching them yet, but hopefully she will in time. 

Worst case scenario, I'll peroxide dip the rocks - but I'll try my best to use biological control first. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Illaron is slowing down a lot. He has lost a fair bit of weight & hardly eats anymore. 😔

Bella was heading down the same path before dying. I think this is inevitable. I'll try my best to take care of him.

Poseidon is still going strong for now, thankfully. Mercury & the others are alright as well. 

• Sad 3
Snow_Phoenix

Update on Illaron: he is swimming listlessly at the surface sometimes. Other times he's back on the rocks, but his scoots are quite slow, and he doesn't seem interested in anything anymore - including live pods. He has become quite inactive. 😔

I'm not sure what I can do. If a fish chooses not to eat, then I cannot force it to eat. I can literally drop half a dozen cubes of mysis, a 1L bottle of live pods & 6 spoons of pellets and it won't make a difference. 😕

He has already reached max. size, so I'm not sure if this is it for him. I'll keep monitoring him. 

Other fish are still thankfully doing okay. Haven't seen Reggie the ragworm for the past few days, but he's probably hiding. 

Also been having trouble opening the app for my R80 InLed light - for some reason the app is not compatible with the current updated version of android. The devs attempted a software fix in July, but I've sent them a feedback report (and so have other users, based on the online rating-complaints) so hopefully there'll be another fix for it soon. I've been manually switching the light on & off daily for the past week. 

At least the AI Prime is working fine on its own, although I do get connection issues and app crashes from time to time. 🤔

I had an older bicolor Benny that died somewhat like that.  I figured it was due to an intestinal problem of some sort.

My dog recently experienced pancreatitis.  If left untreated, it would have killed him.  Unfortunately, this same level of medical care isn't really practical/possible for a small fish.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

I had an older bicolor Benny that died somewhat like that.  I figured it was due to an intestinal problem of some sort.

My dog recently experienced pancreatitis.  If left untreated, it would have killed him.  Unfortunately, this same level of medical care isn't really practical/possible for a small fish.

I did suspect there could be an internal issue. I just wasn't sure if or how it could be treated. I do agree that it is very unfortunate that fish cannot receive that level of medical care. 😔

I have read up cases - exceptions of large pond goldfish or koi receiving vet treatment for loose scales, removal of small tumors etc. but I don't think this is possible with such a small fish like Illaron, and I don't think we have any vets here that are truly experienced in treating fish as a whole. 🤔

Hope your dog is okay. Mine is still recovering from a grooming mishap several days back. The groomers were new and *almost dislocated the hip joint at her back leg (she's 9-years-old) during grooming - and they didn't tell us they had injured her either. We were & still are very angry & upset. And my dog was very traumatized. 

It has been a few days since then, and she's recovering quickly, thankfully. At one point, she was limping so badly & couldn't even get up once she lay down. And her eyes were...sad. It made my mum & I cry. 😭

At least now she can walk & trot without issues. But she still can't jump yet.

• Wow 2
17 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hope your dog is okay.

Thank you!  He was in bad shape (it came on suddenly); but it's been a few months, and he's fine now.  He'll be on a prescription low fat diet for the rest of his life, but all is well.

• Like 3
Critteraholic
18 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I already received my second dose on Monday.

YAY! It sounds like you're doing okay! 

Yeah, the vets here don't do much with small fish either. Some are just so tiny...

Snow_Phoenix

Illaron has lost easily 40% of his original body weight so far. It truly shows in his girth - his form is now quite streamlined and he is no longer chunky. 😔

20210831_101357.thumb.jpg.1063c331093a1c1d79747832c278e266.jpg

20210831_101430.thumb.jpg.08104f81df6aaca7beee68007e517bb3.jpg

20210831_101511.thumb.jpg.c914a3e6ee8aeeec8b7a36c304fd4ce0.jpg

He looks so...average right now. His lateral lines aren't showing yet, but if his appetite is not back up, he'll continue thinning out. I truly am trying everything I can, but for now I'm watching & waiting. 

Other 2 dragonets are okay. Active, healthy, and eating. No behavioral or appetite changes. I think I'll head down to the LFS & pick up more macro next week though. The fuge is full of pods & microfauna, but more macro is always welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My LFS just updated their fish stock list today. They finally have some TSBs in, but at double the previous price. Am thinking very hard on this one, because it seems quite expensive for such a tiny fish. Still...a blenny! 😞

So much want!

(Honestly, a 3" to 4" discus is actually cheaper than a small TSB atm. Am more tempted to save up for the discus for my FW tank.)

• Sad 1
  • Wow 2

Forgot to update - Tux the tuxedo urchin finally died after his good 3.5 years of service in my tank(s). He actually did an incredibly good job at keeping the turf & GHA under manageable levels.

I still have a halloween urchin and a purple rock urchin that cleans up the glass and rocks, but I'll definitely pick up a new tuxedo (or two) in the future, when they become available again. Will also pick up more turban snails as well. 

• Sad 3
5 hours ago, PeterU said:

How big did your tuxedo urchin get?

Do you think a 20H is big enough for one?

Mine wasn't too big - roughly slightly bigger than a ping pong ball. I think a 20H should be okay, but you'll have to supplement its diet with nori strips if there is limited or no algae to munch on in your tank. 😊

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Mine wasn't too big - roughly slightly bigger than a ping pong ball. I think a 20H should be okay, but you'll have to supplement its diet with nori strips if there is limited or no algae to munch on in your tank. 😊

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of their size.

Did yours eat bubble algae?

58 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Thanks, that gives me a better idea of their size.

Did yours eat bubble algae?

I've never had a bubble algae outbreak in this DT before, so I'm unsure. They will eat display macro including caulerpa & sometimes chaeto though. 

If you're looking for something to control bubble algae, you can try emerald crabs. Hope this helps. 👍

• Thanks 1

Goblin today:

20210910_142536.thumb.jpg.536bcc18902f55eac0e46d9a486a8c21.jpg

20210910_142552.thumb.jpg.ba25d8cf643b6339185d83110b6aebc7.jpg

The rocks are very fuzzy with algae. Took a few FTSes too:

20210910_142613.thumb.jpg.d72b65e9f7e6b27aba521a77f88fe8bc.jpg

20210910_142646.thumb.jpg.1892b14760f13d2a6e3b59f616115d4f.jpg

Mercury the red dragon 🐲🐉has adapted very well. He still prefers live pods over prepared, but that is to be expected. He's slightly thicker than average, but not chunky yet. 

Illaron the scooter has stopped losing weight & and has resumed eating prepared, but he eats very little as compared to before. His body size is average, not super thick or chunky like he was previously. 😕

Hope his appetite will pick up again in time. He has slowed down quite a fair bit though. 

Poseidon the mandy is still very chunky and going strong, thankfully. 👍

• Like 3
  • Snow_Phoenix changed the title to Snow's 60G Secret Predatory Sanctum 🐲🐉 - Shutting Down