Tangs: 20

Fairy and flasher wrasse: 5-7

Leopards and Halichoeris: 8-10

Watchmen type shrimp gobies: 10

Pygmy wrasse: 8-10

Dragonetts: 10
Larger angelfish: 20

Dwarf angel: 10

Blennies and some smaller gobies have shorter life spans, maybe 5?

Anthias are shorter lifespans, exception may be the hawk type (not sure there)

When fish get old, they start to look rough and the fins get tattered, they may lose color, decreased appetite, breath heavier and slow down. They will slowly decline. 

They won’t suddenly be healthy and then be dead. That’s more of an acute event… but it’s not like we can do full body fish scans and monitor their heart to see what’s wrong. 

Lots of stuff just isn’t in our control. I am sure fish die of bowl obstructions and cancer and neurological things too. Others to injuries and even blood poisoning. They are also sometimes exposed to harsh medications at the holding facility or LFS or even poison (to capture them). This likely could have an effect on their life span. 

All we can do is try our best and feed them well.

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

When fish get old, they start to look rough and the fins get tattered, they may lose color, decreased appetite, breath heavier and slow down. They will slowly decline. 

They won’t suddenly be healthy and then be dead. That’s more of an acute event… but it’s not like we can do full body fish scans and monitor their heart to see what’s wrong. 

Lots of stuff just isn’t in our control. I am sure fish die of bowl obstructions and cancer and things too. 

A month before my Starry blenny died, he was declining and had all the symptoms listed above - except for the tattered fins. His color wasn't as strong before, he developed a lump (most likely tumor) near his anal cavity, and he was slowing down a *lot. I guess, in a way I did see it coming, although I genuinely had hoped to get another 2 or 3 more years with him. 

11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

They look good 🙂

As far as I know about general fish life spans:

Clowns: 30-40

Bangaii cardinals, fire/dart fish, pipefish: 4-5

Tangs: 20

Fairy and flasher wrasse: 5-7

Leopards and Halichoeris: 8-10

Watchmen type shrimp gobies: 10

Pygmy wrasse: 8-10

Dragonetts: 10
Larger angelfish: 20

Dwarf angel: 10

Blennies and some smaller gobies have shorter life spans, maybe 5?

Anthias are shorter lifespans, exception may be the hawk type (not sure there)

Wild-caught wrasses here seem to have incredibly short lifespans of <5 years in a tank (I seldom see anyone keeping a wrasse over that limit here), which I *think has to do with the way they're being caught here. 

I find the tiny gobies and blennies to be a bit more resilient somewhat. Barring an accident (like jumping out) or disease, I think they can reach 5 years. 

I can't recall who exactly told me dragonets seldom reach 5 years in captivity, but I *think it was a reefer over Insta. 🤔

I like clowns. :happy:

• Like 2

Ya your blenny probably died of old age or maybe that tumor but cancer is more common with age too since the cells may screw up and not divide right. 

I remember he was like a XL size when you got him. Seems to me that it was probably just his time. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya your blenny probably died of old age or maybe that tumor but cancer is more common with age too since the cells may screw up and not divide right. 

I remember he was like a XL size when you got him. Seems to me that it was probably just his time. 

Yep, he was a fairly large dude. I think if given the chance to acquire another starry blenny in the future, I'll pick a smaller one so that I can try to keep him longer. Absolutely love Starrys (besides the Pictus, which will always be my first choice for a blenny). :happy:

• Like 1

Hope you find another pictus someday! Mine is doing well but I only see him dart across the tank now and again. He loves to hide deep within the corals in the big tank. 

As far as wrasses, they definitely don’t have the longest natural span. Behavior wise they basically always have the zoomies and constantly want to eat. They act like little spazzes and seem to have a fast metabolism. I think they are naturally a live fast and die young type. 

They also ship very poorly and don’t handle stress well.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Hope you find another pictus someday! Mine is doing well but I only see him dart across the tank now and again. He loves to hide deep within the corals in the big tank. 

Ad far as wrasses, they definitely don’t have the longest natural span. Behavior wise they basically always have the zoomies and constantly want to eat. They act like little spazzes and seem to have a fast metabolism. I think they are naturally a live fast and die young type. 

I hope so too!

And I agree that wrasses move really, really quickly. Among all my fish, the wrasses are the most difficult to take a clear shot of. I'd definitely love to get a super-clear pic of my leopard wrasse though. He's actually very, very beautiful, but he never stays in one spot. 

I still remember how my pink streaked wrasse randomly collided with the glass (for absolutely no reason) and died upon impact. 😞

I think they move too quickly at times - and get spooked very easily, even by the slightest movement/shadows out of/around the tank. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I hope so too!

And I agree that wrasses move really, really quickly. Among all my fish, the wrasses are the most difficult to take a clear shot of. I'd definitely love to get a super-clear pic of my leopard wrasse though. He's actually very, very beautiful, but he never stays in one spot. 

I still remember how my pink streaked wrasse randomly collided with the glass (for absolutely no reason) and died upon impact. 😞

I think they move too quickly at times - and get spooked very easily, even by the slightest movement/shadows out of/around the tank. 

Yah spinal injuries are not uncommon! 

Mine hit my mesh lid pretty much daily. I don’t even know what sets them off. They just suddenly go rocketing out of the water. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix
10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Yah spinal injuries are not uncommon! 

Mine hit my mesh lid pretty much daily. I don’t even know what sets them off. They just suddenly go rocketing out of the water. 

All fish jump - but marine fish are much more skittish than freshwater fish. Could be an instinctual reaction - since, well, the ocean is pretty large and full of predators. Just a theory. 🤔

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Nero & Sushi swimming together today:

Goblin the GCG has started to slow down. I noticed it today. 😔

If I'm lucky, I can get another 1 to 2 years with him, if not, probably less than a year. He's actually older than Thanos by a few months, so I've had him for ~3 years. His colors have paled out a lot too. 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix

Throwback to a year ago: Poseidon with a full belly after binging on pellets:

FB_IMG_1626146113135.thumb.jpg.c18f2558924d47b66b7db948c78bb48e.jpg

FB_IMG_1626146106565.thumb.jpg.26136f42f0dd513ef855c3235580e82c.jpg

It amazes me how much a fish's gut/belly can 'expand' after a heavy meal. I like seeing full bellies, so I do have a tendency to overfeed all my fish. 😊

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix

Patrick the sandsifting starfish: 

20210713_195324.thumb.jpg.84690f73fd0cf56c0598009a9751817e.jpg

Fun fact: That nass. snail next to him has been with me from tank to tank, and is over 3-years-old. I have 3 nass. snails in total which were purchased at the same time, and all 3 only pop out at night. 😅

This is a slightly older pic taken on 20/05/21, featuring Thanos & Poseidon side-by-side. Thanos the blenny is roughly 6.5" in this pic, so you can more or less estimate Poseidon's size as well: 

FB_IMG_1626177290184.jpg.63a3b644f1b80b3e57ffc330974a2d17.jpg

Took two short vids of Poseidon & Illaron eating pellets today during the evening feeding session:

Pellets can be hard to swallow at times. Softer food like frozen mysis or frozen, enriched BBS is better. 👍

• Like 4
Snow_Phoenix

Rocket has developed lympho. It is not unusual for wild-caught angels to get it, and so far he is swimming, behaving & eating normally, so I'll be monitoring him & try to boost his immune system by feeding him good food:

IMG_20210715_122654_653.thumb.jpg.98fab4ce3a490e8523fcb46dc20ff6a2.jpg

IMG_20210715_122654_655.thumb.jpg.cda632556c40eb8a145b8c66985f146a.jpg

IMG_20210715_122654_656.thumb.jpg.6952247261b8542312b36357a2f40f06.jpg

The lumps are quite unsightly, but it is only on one side of his body. The other side remains unaffected. 🤔

Bullet the Christmas wrasse with more mature markings & coloring: 

IMG_20210715_122516_447.thumb.jpg.067f65ec3b7dfbf9875a6d2d924ec2de.jpg

IMG_20210715_122516_448.thumb.jpg.8cd26e9433819f82f6f31ea25a3b8c33.jpg

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix

Foxy has gained more weight & thickened out quite a fair bit:

IMG_20210715_122516_432.thumb.jpg.6af0f89fb7f7d2a947eac2b47910effe.jpg

IMG_20210715_122516_434.thumb.jpg.ee8008a60f8f58611222651489bf8b2c.jpg

20210715_120204.thumb.jpg.5ce8f764d0808f73ac24b9cdb7d14d54.jpg

20210715_120043.thumb.jpg.915714e61032ecbd63a36333200962eb.jpg

She is a voracious eater though! And absolutely loves the Hikari seaweed pellets, although she'll eat anything that I toss into the tank. 👍

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Snow_Phoenix

Goblin has showed a bit of improvement in terms of color. We have had several cold, rainy days, so he has had his usual seasonal flare up of ich:

IMG_20210715_122516_443.thumb.jpg.4c7d4d321cb8e067148fff6bb5636408.jpg

But is staying strong. 👍

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

You sure it is lympho? I don’t believe it should be red like that. 

I thought it was. What do you think it is, then? 🤔

It started out as a gray blemish which was ring-shaped. After a week, the affected area was raised a little. From what I observed, it isn't exactly an open sore. There's no exposed flesh (for now). He's not flashing on the rocks either. 

Add-On: Could the lesions be skin tumors? 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I thought it was. What do you think it is, then? 🤔

It started out as a gray blemish which was ring-shaped. After a week, the affected area was raised a little. From what I observed, it isn't exactly an open sore. There's no exposed flesh (for now). He's not flashing on the rocks either. 

Add-On: Could the lesions be skin tumors? 

It looks like uronema or a bacterial infection? Does the angel have white dots on it too or that just the camera? His black bar on the face looks spotted. 

Could summon humblefish to the thread and ask. 

Hope he keeps eating and heals up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Snow_Phoenix
11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It looks like uronema or a bacterial infection? Does the angel have white dots on it too or that just the camera? His black bar on the face looks spotted. 

Could summon humblefish to the thread and ask. 

Hope he keeps eating and heals up. 

I actually googled up Humblefish's website late at night yesterday and I think you might be right. Usually when the disease leaves visible marks like this, you can't do much except treat with a FW dip & a med - but even then, the fish will most likely not make it. 😔

I hope he can recover - I'll keep feeding & monitoring him. So far he seems to be acting normally. Still very active & grazing the rocks. The other fish have no symptoms for now. 

Oh, and the white dots is the camera - I zoomed in quite a fair bit, so the colors look blurry and patchy in some areas. 

• Like 1
  • Snow_Phoenix changed the title to Snow's 60G Secret Predatory Sanctum 🐲🐉 - Shutting Down