Snow_Phoenix

Snow's 60G Marine Megano.

Snow_Phoenix

Just fed the tank a mix of mysis/brine/cyclops/bloodworm/shrimp juice + selcon slush. The fish seemed to love it - especially the darts. :happy:

Also, need to come clean with all of you - I made two small impulse purchases when I bought my filefish few days ago. One of those purchases stays tiny, and I have experience with them, so I guess it *should be alright. Now, the second purchase has the potential to grow big. I didn't realize how big exactly until I returned home and read up I actually might need a tank double my present size to house it when it hits maturity. (No, it is not a tang)

I bought it because it was skinny, malnourished and felt bad for it. Honestly, me feeling bad for things is the main reason why I have such an assortment of weird, mismatched critters at home. But all three of them are doing okay, and with the exception of the filefish, they're all eating pellets and frozen. 

I'll post more pics only about them after the QT period is over - I feel like I keep jinxing stuff whenever I document them too early. 

I think it's safe to say at this point that my tank is well beyond stocked. I'm actually quite happy with the fish choices, even though they might look 'messy' to some. 

As for my corals - my Utter Chaos has bopped out a new head (yay!) but my Rainbow Implosions are being overriden by some sort of fungus which doesn't affect other corals except that particular zoa frag. I've already lost a few polyps, and the remaining few remain closed. I'm not sure why, because my other Zoas are all open. 🤔

Also, no sign of my mystery predator today - not sure when it will strike again, so I'm staying sharp for any signs of weird activity in the tank.

Here are some quick pics of Crabcake, my new nem crab - you can see how many limbs she has lost at the store: :scarry:

And here's Lola settling into her sedentary life of starfish-dom:

So I guess that's it for now. 

• Like 2

Wonderboy

No reason to share all of your endevors; people just like to learn from others' experiences. QT is for caretaker observation and response anyways - I agree that excitement has little to do with success. IMO, it's okay to test your ability to address particularities in caring for life; just don't stop trying your best. I had some Lola starfishes once upon a time - they are cool animals. Everything is looking good - will wait patiently for certain updates :]

• Like 1

Snow_Phoenix
9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

No reason to share all of your endevors; people just like to learn from others' experiences. QT is for caretaker observation and response anyways - I agree that excitement has little to do with success. IMO, it's okay to test your ability to address particularities in caring for life; just don't stop trying your best. I had some Lola starfishes once upon a time - they are cool animals. Everything is looking good - will wait patiently for certain updates :]

Thank you! Updates should come soon - I think I've pushed this tank enough by going without a proper WC for 5 weeks+ now. I finally have a very thin layer of film algae on my rocks! :scarry:

Tbh, a lot of fish that arrive here are very sick or carry a parasite of some sort. Even my LFS manager told me that he's more impressed by reefers who can keep a fish healthy and stable long-term rather than reefers who keep fishless tanks. I now QT and treat all fish before placing them in my DT - usually with PraziGold, and tank-transfer method (for fish like clownfish). And the QT is also up for observation purposes, as you've said. If anything acts weird in there, I won't put it in my DT until it acts normal again. 

The starfishes are doing okay - the bigger one is more active/mobile than the smaller one. I noticed they love clinging on to a particular rock surface for hours at a time before inching away onto the sandbed. I still do target feed them though - yesterday I pretty much broadcast-fed the tank and they both had a positive response to it (arms waving in the water, moving about to find some scraps on the sandbed). 

And here's a pic of the second fish I purchased with my filefish. I'm quite hesitant to post about the third though - will see how it fares in QT, and how it fares in the DT later. 

• Like 5

Snow_Phoenix

Update #1:

FTS & FTV! :ninja:

View from my bed today morning - nice thing to wake up to, everyday:

Snow_Phoenix

Update #2:

Welcome to spy on the Inverts of Snow's Megano! :ninja:

Gary and Lola:

Crabcake:

Snow_Phoenix

Update #3:

Fishies!

Goblin: (in five days, he turns 10-months-old (amount of time with me)): :lol:

Thanos: (With me for ~10.5 months already): :happy:

How difficult is it to film zebra barred darts in motion? Very, apparently. I just can't focus on them or the pattern on their bodies, so it's difficult to appreciate their full beauty, unless you're staring at them in person:

Lastly, how many fish do you see in this pic? 

Is it three...or more? 🤔

Snow_Phoenix

My apologies for not being able to condense all my updates in a single post. BME, it crashes my broswer and causes a severe lag due to too many pic/link inserts. 

The Filefish has been added to the tank already. He's small in there, but has a surprisingly amazing personality. Since he's very curious, I've decided to name him George. It's still very difficult to get an accurate pic of him because he's constantly buzzing up and down the tank. I just hope he finds my aiptasia before my zoas. 

Hannahhhh
9 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

My apologies for not being able to condense all my updates in a single post. BME, it crashes my broswer and causes a severe lag due to too many pic/link inserts. 

The Filefish has been added to the tank already. He's small in there, but has a surprisingly amazing personality. Since he's very curious, I've decided to name him George. It's still very difficult to get an accurate pic of him because he's constantly buzzing up and down the tank. I just hope he finds my aiptasia before my zoas. 

I’m starting to find aptasia popping up in my tank 🙁 I’m curious if the filefish helps out with controlling them! Definitely keep us updated!

Snow_Phoenix
28 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

I’m starting to find aptasia popping up in my tank 🙁 I’m curious if the filefish helps out with controlling them! Definitely keep us updated!

Well. mine is currently still busy exploring the tank (new environment/new things to see) - I'll definitely keep you posted. 🙂

• Like 1