ReefCleaners.org

Clown Emergency

Salvaggiodg

Salvaggiodg

Please Help Urgent!

When I went to check on my clowns and feed them one of them I noticed was stuck to the filter. Thinking he was dead I took him out but then realized he was making breathing like motions! My father is out of town and I don’t know who else to as for help. When placed back in the tank he won’t move but appears like he is breathing!

How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? How long have you had the clowns?

It sounds like the fish is sick or something is very wrong as a healthy clown should not get stuck to a filter.

Was there anything odd about the clown? Spots? Patches? Skinny? Was it eating before this happened?

25 minutes ago, Salvaggiodg said:

Please Help Urgent!

When I went to check on my clowns and feed them one of them I noticed was stuck to the filter. Thinking he was dead I took him out but then realized he was making breathing like motions! My father is out of town and I don’t know who else to as for help. When placed back in the tank he won’t move but appears like he is breathing!

21 minutes ago, Salvaggiodg said:

Please Help Urgent!

I’m new to the hobby and don’t have a perfect recommendation — but totally empathize with the feeling of panic. Some off the bat recommendations that seem to be universally sound...

- if your dad has a quarantine tank already up and running, best to move the clown there

- if he doesn’t, try to stay calm and avoid making any drastic changes//disruptions to the system

- if you have a wavemaker, may turn off to avoid pushing the clown around too much, but keep the filter/return pump going

- pictures ALWAYS help. Can you snap some pictures of the clown and post them? Folks here have a much easier time seeing the issue to deduce a solution.

- are there any other changes you’ve seen in the tank? Are other fish acting strange? Any growths on any fish? Any strange swimming patterns? If yes, snap pics and detail.

- do you have a water test kit? Test asap.

Don’t forget to breathe! 🙂

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It sounds like the fish is sick or something is very wrong as a healthy clown should not get stuck to a filter.

Or it's a small/baby clown.  I was reading yesterday where the "nano" sized clowns some online places are selling are prone to getting caught by the filter intake tube.