ReefCleaners.org

Gorgonian ID!

Chris's Fishes

Chris's Fishes

Hello!

I was out earlier and dropped by my LFS for some fish food, and ended up coming home with a gorgonian. I've been wanting one for a while, but not one this big... it's "huge", at least for my 10 gallon. I got it for $5, though, and I just need an ID. It was listed as a Sea Whip 🙄 I was thinking maybe a rusty gorg, but I have no experience with ID'ing gorgs. Hoping it's photosynthetic! If not, I'll go trade it back into a store for credit or something.

It's not opened up yet, but the polyps are a nice tan/white color, and the skin itself is reddish-tan, depending on the light it's under.

Gorg.thumb.jpg.200a6a1de6e2173c7b5c001a2f2e89d5.jpg

Chris's Fishes
1 minute ago, Joevember said:

Seems like you already ID'd it... I've never heard of a gorgonian having a designer name.

I'm not looking for a designer name, just looking to see if anyone can give me a definitive species. I think it looks like a rusty gorgonian, but I have no experience with them, so I could easily be mixing them up with another species. It'd suck pretty bad to assume that it's a Rusty Gorg, be wrong, and let it slowly starve to death in this tank if it happens to be NPS. Or, for it to be a species that dislikes super direct flow and medium-high light (which is where it's at), and for me to leave it there and die.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, Fisker said:

I'm not looking for a designer name, just looking to see if anyone can give me a definitive species. I think it looks like a rusty gorgonian, but I have no experience with them, so I could easily be mixing them up with another species. It'd suck pretty bad to assume that it's a Rusty Gorg, be wrong, and let it slowly starve to death in this tank if it happens to be NPS. Or, for it to be a species that dislikes super direct flow and medium-high light (which is where it's at), and for me to leave it there and die.

Arent all gorgos nps? I don't deal with too much coral so I might be wrong

Chris's Fishes
13 minutes ago, Zane W said:

Arent all gorgos nps? I don't deal with too much coral so I might be wrong

Nope. Most are photosynthetic, actually (I think), with just some of the deeper water species being NPS.

7 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Not all are nps but I think most need really good flow to stay clean.  That’s a great price though.

This guy is under a HOB output and is directly across from my powerhead. There's noticeably movement on the branches - so I assume he's okay on flow. Polyps have opened up, but I wouldn't say the extension is amazing or anything.