Cultivated Reef

Will ich transfer to quarantine tank

PhatReef

Display tank has ich.

One fish host

bought 4 small tanks to quarantine all fish 

Will ich transfer to quarantine tank if I transfer bio filter from my display to help cycle my tank?

what I mean is after my transfer tank method in the period that I have to keep my display tank fishless, can I transfer biomedia from my display tank to cycle my quarantine tank without the possibility of ich being in the bio filter?

Perthreefer

I'm sure there is more than one way to combat this issue. However if it was me dealing with this issue I wouldn't worry about bio filtration in quarantine. I'd do TTM exactly as you're intending to do and then to quarantine afterwards just carry out small water changes every three days, making sure you vacuum up any detritus in the process. The issue you have here obviously is that your display tank is potentially infected as you say so the 90 day fallow period is going to make this a time consuming process depending on the size of your quarantine. 

I honestly wouldn't risk anything from your system in quarantine though as it potentially will undo all the hard work you're about to go through.

Good luck!

8 minutes ago, Perthreefer said:

I'm sure there is more than one way to combat this issue. However if it was me dealing with this issue I wouldn't worry about bio filtration in quarantine. I'd do TTM exactly as you're intending to do and then to quarantine afterwards just carry out small water changes every three days, making sure you vacuum up any detritus in the process. The issue you have here obviously is that your display tank is potentially infected as you say so the 90 day fallow period is going to make this a time consuming process depending on the size of your quarantine. 

I honestly wouldn't risk anything from your system in quarantine though as it potentially will undo all the hard work you're about to go through.

Good luck!

So you’d suggest doing water changes every 3 days?

i actually have 4 quarantine tanks so it will take the work load off a fair bit,

thanks ! 

Perthreefer

If you grab one of those Seachem Ammonia alerts you can see the ammonia levels rising within the quarantine, you may get away with water changes every 5 days depending on the fish in quarantine and how much you feed them. Had to go fallow for 90 days on a 550 litre tank once, I didn't use biological filtration in my quarantine tanks then and all worked out fine. The thing is to get them through TTM ASAP as you are before they get too weak from the parasite.

2 hours ago, PhatReef said:

Will ich transfer to quarantine tank if I transfer bio filter from my display to help cycle my tank?

what I mean is after my transfer tank method in the period that I have to keep my display tank fishless, can I transfer biomedia from my display tank to cycle my quarantine tank without the possibility of ich being in the bio filter?

Yes, tomonts (parasite eggs) may be encysted to anything in the DT. So, nothing from the DT can be reused for a QT unless you were planning on treating said QT anyway.

It sounds like you are looking for a way to cycle your observation tank once TTM is complete. The only way to safely do this would be to use a bacteria in a bottle product such as Bio-spira.