WJW9075

A Tank Of Stars

WJW9075

Now you might be thinking that I have a tank of starfish. No, just their names. 

I’ve had tanks on and off all my life. But it’s only recently that the hobby has really taken off. 

My my husband and I have a 45 bow front freshwater planted tank, a 10 gallon planted for our pea puffers, and a 5 gallon planted for the babies... mollies. 

We decided to dive right in (pun intended) with salt water. So we quickly went from a 5 to 10 gallon saltwater. We have dead rock and dead substrate. I think we have a handle on the water so far, but any tips or constructive criticisms are welcome. We have a power head on the way, and are using a hang on the back filter for a much larger tank. 

We have a clown who took a few days to eat, so we named her Karen Carpenter, a very judgmental Hawkfish named Joan Rivers, and a green hermit named Kermit. 

Is it better to have a tank for hermits and get a small cleanup crew for the or keep them with the two others? 

E955E447-64F2-4837-843E-1F9FB2EFD2A9.jpeg

AEC500DA-7CCF-4E73-B20C-903AAF1DA27F.jpeg

2BD7E436-3349-42EB-933B-88C5C8EAEC8A.jpeg

85AA2566-7211-4102-8034-89858BA07C64.jpeg

33D0D8C6-8BF3-4ABC-A503-E6DDAAC3536B.jpeg

• Like 1

seabass

Nice; and :welcome: to Nano-Reef.com!

Snow_Phoenix
On 4/17/2019 at 4:50 AM, WJW9075 said:

Now you might be thinking that I have a tank of starfish. No, just their names. 

I’ve had tanks on and off all my life. But it’s only recently that the hobby has really taken off. 

My my husband and I have a 45 bow front freshwater planted tank, a 10 gallon planted for our pea puffers, and a 5 gallon planted for the babies... mollies. 

We decided to dive right in (pun intended) with salt water. So we quickly went from a 5 to 10 gallon saltwater. We have dead rock and dead substrate. I think we have a handle on the water so far, but any tips or constructive criticisms are welcome. We have a power head on the way, and are using a hang on the back filter for a much larger tank. 

We have a clown who took a few days to eat, so we named her Karen Carpenter, a very judgmental Hawkfish named Joan Rivers, and a green hermit named Kermit. 

Is it better to have a tank for hermits and get a small cleanup crew for the or keep them with the two others? 

E955E447-64F2-4837-843E-1F9FB2EFD2A9.jpeg

AEC500DA-7CCF-4E73-B20C-903AAF1DA27F.jpeg

2BD7E436-3349-42EB-933B-88C5C8EAEC8A.jpeg

85AA2566-7211-4102-8034-89858BA07C64.jpeg

33D0D8C6-8BF3-4ABC-A503-E6DDAAC3536B.jpeg

Nice Arc-eye and Misbar! Welcome to NR! 🙂 

WJW9075

We’ve since added an anemone, Phyllis Diller, and a chocolate chip Star, Godiva. We’ve added a power head, and Phyllis Diller seems to like the added water movement. 

We seem to be having an ammonia issue, but are taking care of this with prime and water changes.  Anyone have some suggestions as to what we can do?  The owner of the local fish store told us to not feed for a week. I’m just concerned about the anemone. Help!!

B992CC57-5804-4374-8AAC-42D5186AA3F3.jpeg

seabass

Hmm... aren't you worried about that star with your anemone?  Is that a condy anemone?

Not feeding would only help so much with ammonia.  You don't want to over feed, but I can't see not feeding for a week as much of a solution.

You'll need to continue to dose Prime daily until your tank completes its cycle.  When dosing Prime, when establishing a cycle (like what you are doing), you might consider using a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge (which helps you monitor continuously, and isn't affected by Prime).

Naekuh

Did you not cycle the tank? You tank looks too new to have gone though a cycle. 

Did your husband who seemed to have some experience with fish not tell you, that you need to cycle a tank before you add livestock?

Also your using lava rock for salt water, which is not a great rock, and should be avoided because it sometimes contains metals which is not healthy for corals including anenome's.

You need base rock, or live rock. In short you need to get rid of that lava rock, and replace it with live or base rock meant for marine tanks. 

Also at this point you pretty much hung yourself on a short noose because you didn't cycle. 

I would honestly take all that back and see if the LFS can hold onto them for you until you finish your cycle.

If not, at best you could try to cheat the cycle and quick start it by adding possibly 10-15lbs of live rock. 

Take a bucket with you and ask the LFS to keep the live rock submerged in salt water as you take it home so any beneficial bacteria on the rock doesn't die. 

I really hate to sound mean, but you made the biggest simplest mistake you can make which is not doing enough research.  

• Like 1

j.falk
14 hours ago, Naekuh said:

Did you not cycle the tank? You tank looks too new to have gone though a cycle. 

Did your husband who seemed to have some experience with fish not tell you, that you need to cycle a tank before you add livestock?

Also your using lava rock for salt water, which is not a great rock, and should be avoided because it sometimes contains metals which is not healthy for corals including anenome's.

You need base rock, or live rock. In short you need to get rid of that lava rock, and replace it with live or base rock meant for marine tanks. 

Also at this point you pretty much hung yourself on a short noose because you didn't cycle. 

I would honestly take all that back and see if the LFS can hold onto them for you until you finish your cycle.

If not, at best you could try to cheat the cycle and quick start it by adding possibly 10-15lbs of live rock. 

Take a bucket with you and ask the LFS to keep the live rock submerged in salt water as you take it home so any beneficial bacteria on the rock doesn't die. 

I really hate to sound mean, but you made the biggest simplest mistake you can make which is not doing enough research.  

I agree with all of that.  That tank is not ready for the amount of livestock you have already dumped into it.  Get that lava rock out of there and use the correct type of dry or live rock for saltwater and take back the anemone, hermit and starfish.  

Chocolate chip stars will eat anything they can get their mouth over (this includes fish that are resting during lights out and sessile invertebrates).  

Anemones should only be placed in a fully cycled aquarium with stable water parameters (no ammonia/no nitrite) and correct lighting.  

Large hermits like you have pictured are typically opportunistic predators.

Don't feed your tank for a week?  What?!?!

Whoever is advising you at your LFS is looking to make a buck and should not have sold you all of that livestock for a small 10 gallon uncycled tank.  Saltwater aquariums have to be built SLOWLY...think several weeks/months.   If your tank were already cycled you would not be having the ammonia issues.  

Take some time to read up on the correct way to successfully set up and maintain saltwater aquariums:  http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

There's a lot to learn, but once you understand how things work with saltwater...it'll get easier and easier as you go.  I was in your shoes 20 years ago with my first saltwater aquarium.  I started with a 10 gallon aquarium and within a week I had it packed full of fish and invertebrates not knowing what I was doing.  It was a disaster and I took the tank down after a month.  But those were the days before you could look up something on the internet and find the answer within seconds.  Use the internet to your advantage.  Research everything and always ask questions if you are unsure of something.  

WJW9075
On 4/22/2019 at 1:13 AM, seabass said:

Hmm... aren't you worried about that star with your anemone?  Is that a condy anemone?

Not feeding would only help so much with ammonia.  You don't want to over feed, but I can't see not feeding for a week as much of a solution.

You'll need to continue to dose Prime daily until your tank completes its cycle.  When dosing Prime, when establishing a cycle (like what you are doing), you might consider using a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge (which helps you monitor continuously, and isn't affected by Prime).

We did get the badges. We’ve primed the tank every other day and I’m happy to report that we are in the green... well yellow. The the feeding schedule is back to every other day. Thanks for your advice, it was very helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Rymah

You and your husband obviously have a passion of fish and aquariums. My best advice would be to slow TF down. My newest tank is 4 months old and has 3 fish and a hand full of corals.

I know you don't want to hear this but you have set your selves up for failure.  You need to get 7-10lbs of live rock in there and get the anemone out, most experienced reefered wouldn't even consider a nem for 6 months to a year.

I think 99% of people on the forum would agree with me In saying that patience is the MOST important thing in reef keeping. I am not taking days or weeks, changes take months.  

I know I'm repeating myself but it's only because I want you guys to succeed.  get that anemone out of your tank asap, when it dies it will chemically nuke your take and kill everything.

If you're going to ignore all of this and do what you want anyway just make sure you are doing weekly 10-20% water changes and consider running chime-pure blue In your filter.

Seriously slow slow slow down

Tamberav

Yikes.. this isn't freshwater, you going to be in deep 💩

You need to get some rock made for reefs... for starters. 

What light is that? It doesn't look promising. 

748S911

+1  

Get some live rock, and let tank fully cycle before you add anything to it.  What type of light do you have?

j.falk
5 hours ago, Rymah said:

If you're going to ignore all of this and do what you want anyway...

Yep.