ReefCleaners.org

Old Oceanic BioCube 29

ZoroReef

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise or anything actually that will help me with an old Oceanic Biocube. The tips I keep finding are very old so I just wanted to know if those are still acceptable or if there is new information I could use?

I had an old nanocube back in the day, could probably help. 

First I would leak test it, just fill it up with regular water for a day, make sure it still holds water.

Is it one with the old compact fluorescent lights? Do they work? This would be the biggest question mark with the tank, imo. Lighting has changed the game (LED versus CF and Metal Halide) more than anything else with these tanks.

The nice thing about cubes are the enclosed hoods, they cut down on evaporation and you can keep fish that are prone to jumping in. 

Is taking the top off and putting a newer light fixture something you would consider? 

When it comes to the back chambers its still the same. Items like Purigen, Chemipure and filter floss in the back chambers (with an Intank media rack) are still common. I would consider upgrading the pump to a Maxijet 900 or 1200 if you dont know the age of the pump in the back. Drop a Koralia powerhead in the display and your flow will be fine. 

Fish wise you are looking at 4-5 if you keep up on water changes. I kept a heavy boiload.  

Some of my favorites were a Mystery Wrasse, a Yellow Watchman Goby and of course a couple clowns. The tail spot blenny is also another awesome fish, cool personality. 

Could do a semiagressive tank, a nice pair of young and small lightning maroon clowns and a pseudochromis would be a great pair. 

If you want peaceful then a pair of Perc or Osc clowns and a fire fish would be good. 

Stay away from dwarf angels,  tangs, and other large fish with this setup (this advice coming from a guy who had a flame angel in his old nanocube lol)

With corals if you have the stock CF lights stick with mushrooms, zoas, palys, and other softies. The only LPS I would suggest is something like a Torch, Hammer or Frogspawn. Beware, pictures of corals online may, and probably will, look different once in your tank. Lighting plays such a factor there. 

If you have any specific questions post them, but hopefully the above helps 😉

• Like 1

Wow thank you so much! Everything in the tank works and I've been running the tank for two weeks now. The bulbs are fluorescent and was wondering what could be better or if I should just remove the hood and buy a good light for it. 

If you want to keep the cover on, I'd recommend upgrading to LED.  NanoBox has nice retro kits that are pretty easy to swap in.  If you want to take the lid off, there's a ton of options for lighting.  I have pets and in general prefer the closed top look, so I upgraded mine from stock to the Nanobox kit.  Took a couple hours total to make the switch.

14 hours ago, Lognor said:

If you want to keep the cover on, I'd recommend upgrading to LED.  NanoBox has nice retro kits that are pretty easy to swap in.  If you want to take the lid off, there's a ton of options for lighting.  I have pets and in general prefer the closed top look, so I upgraded mine from stock to the Nanobox kit.  Took a couple hours total to make the switch.

Do you know where I could check out the kit you got. 

• 3 weeks later...