SaltCritters.com

Noah's Hidden Cavern - A Old School Pico Adventure

Noah C Peterson

Noah C Peterson
On 6/19/2019 at 5:55 PM, seabass said:

I imagine you're right.

The effect is very cool.  I feel that you are almost there.  The cave is very pronounced in the last pic, although it might be a bit bright.  I hate to be even a little critical, as I feel this is one of the nicest backgrounds.

I honestly appreciate the criticism, I have put more effort into this pico than any tank in the past and I want it to be done right! 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Noah Charles

Well I can't lie, I'm a little butt hurt. Got the water in the tank and you couldnt see through the back at all. @seabass looks like you were right on the money. Took the backing off 

2b4cb311-e1b6-4408-bb7a-009411ac21ee-ori

Ganna have to do a little more detailing in the shadowbox when I do my first water change but other than that I think that portion is done!

I'm halfway through the cycle so I guess I should start planning my stocking. Thinking ricordia on the right rocks and zoas on the left. I'm considering some sexy shrimp but still looking around.

• Like 7

I really like this tank. I love the background. It gives it depth with the illusion there is a cave beyond.

Very cool and very well done!

• Thanks 1
Noah C Peterson
On 7/8/2019 at 6:30 PM, seabass said:

Looks damn good!

Just a thought... can you put a bit more distance between the tank and the cave, or is it set?

Thanks! 

Unfortunately it is a set structure. But I'm ganna build the back wall up a bit higher and repaint the black with a matte finish to cut down on reflections so hopefully I can still squeeze a little more depth in there! 

• Like 1
Noah C Peterson

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm pretty happy with how it looks. Ammonia is 0ppm and Nitrite are at 5 so the cycle is well on it's way. Still gotta find a center piece coral, I'm leaning towards some kind of euphyllia.

• Like 1
Noah C Peterson
9 hours ago, seabass said:

If nitrite is 5ppm, I'd do a 50% water change so that the cycle isn't slowed down.  If you meant nitrate, then it's fine.

Not sure if you are dosing ammonia.  Here's a decent guide to building up the bio-filter of dry rock: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

Ohh boy it's been a minute since I cycled a tank. I didn't dose just tossed some live rock in from a lfs. I'll go ahead and do a 50% change and see how it goes. Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...
Noah C Peterson

Alright got some more work on the tank done (finally) and I'm pretty happy with how its turning out! 

Excuse all the crappy cellphone pics, still gotta paint and detail it but I'm very pleased with the way it looks.

I also grabbed a bunch of corals since the cycles finished up last week! They are about to go in so more picsand better) to come

20190730_152442.jpg

20190730_152508.jpg

20190723_185841.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
Noah C Peterson
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Love the direction you're taking here. Nice carving as well, what's the plan for painting the styrofoam?

I covered it with a layer of grout to add a bit of texture now I'm adding layers of paint, ganna start with a grayish base and get lighter up to white I think. Going for a lighter stone kinda look.

• Like 2
Noah C Peterson

After a few months of trials and tribulations I think it is finally done. Corals seem to have settled in nicely, let me know what ya'll think! IMG_0820.thumb.JPG.c631781d1497dac3f81516e337df5d7d.JPGIMG_0848.thumb.JPG.1ae8b2f8e97f553ee6020261ba44e54f.JPG IMG_0819.thumb.JPG.586d346e1eae70d8a06d46e52e383da5.JPG

• Like 5
  • Wow 5
Noah C Peterson

Thank you all so much! I am really excited to see how this tank grows in. I'm so grateful for this contest, the bug is definitely back😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
Noah C Peterson
13 hours ago, Krish87 said:

Oh wow!!! This is one of the coolest picos I have ever seen. Very well done 🙂

Thoroughly impressed.

This is such a HUGE compliment! Thank you so much, it's been a thrill jumping back in after so many years!!

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

The tank looks fantastic. You're hard work and patience paid off big time. The best part is that you are excited about it.

Excited or addicted?? Thank you!! Looking forward to how it takes shape😊

• Like 1