Pod Your Reef

Noah's Hidden Cavern - A Old School Pico Adventure

Noah C Peterson

Noah C Peterson

Well its finally happened, after five years out of the hobby I stumbled on the contest thread and got hooked by all of your sick tanks. I'm really excited to jump back into the game! 

Equipment

Tank: 2.5 AGA Aquarium (Are Tecatas a snack? If not banana for scale/snack) 

Lighting: ABI Tuna Blu 12w LED 

Filter: Whisper PF10

Heater: Aqueon Mini 10w

Livestock:

** I really want to focus on one centerpiece, thinking a maxi mini and some sexy shrimp, maybe a pretty toadstool, not really sure yet. Please give me suggestions!!*****

The Plan:

One of my favorite parts of going to a well designed aquarium is the attention to detail that goes into not only the inside of the aquarium, but the fully themed displays that capture the world both within the tank and around it. The goal for this little guy is to devise a Hidden Cave. A glimpse into a lost ecosystem.

How:

The biggest challenge for this tank is going to be creating the illusion of depth in a tank that is only 6" deep. I plan on constructing and exterior shadowbox behind the tank making a mirage of stone deeper in the "Cave"  

I want to put a lot of time into the exterior of the tank. The plan is to design a cave structure to surround the tanks, giving us a glipse into the tank. I'll post some of my inspiration images below so this maybe makes sense Lol 

Well that about wraps it up until I can actually start working on the tank. I have no clue if any of these things are going to work out but I think this is going to be a very fun little contest and I'm so stoked to finally be back in this awesome addiction.... I mean hobby...Thanks for looking everyone, I would love some suggestions or ideas on stocking and critics of my plan!

20190411_165210.jpg

20190416_005244.jpg

20190416_005310.jpg

• Like 8

Welcome back!!!

I'm diggin your cave concept & can't wait to see what you come up with!

If you need a "column" rock like in your 1st cave pick, I gotcha covered, lol!

(You'll have to check my thread 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mariahranch

Glad to see another entrant returning to this great hobby! Love your idea and hope it works out exactly as you are envisioning. I’ll be following along for sure 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Noah C Peterson said:

20190416_005244.jpg

I like this look.  A cave in back of the tank with light streaming through the top (with the tank's aquascape blending in, as an entrance to the cave).  Kind of a take on @Droy008's creative container tank:

3rq8Rlil.jpg&key=10010bf15341742eb9b93ab

7 hours ago, Noah C Peterson said:

focus on one centerpiece, thinking a maxi mini and some sexy shrimp, maybe a pretty toadstool

You could do the mini carpet and sexies, but I wouldn't make them the centerpiece.  A toadstool would have more structure for a centerpiece.  So maybe both.

• Like 4

Welcome back to the hobby! Much like you, I haven't had a reef tank in a few years, and this Pico competition is my re-introduction to reefing as well! Love the cave concept, and I'm  eager to see this shadow box and the work you do outside of the tank as well! Should be an exciting one to follow along!

And :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Noah C Peterson
13 hours ago, seabass said:

I like this look.  A cave in back of the tank with light streaming through the top (with the tank's aquascape blending in, as an entrance to the cave).  Kind of a take on @Droy008's creative container tank:

3rq8Rlil.jpg&key=10010bf15341742eb9b93ab

You could do the mini carpet and sexies, but I wouldn't make them the centerpiece.  A toadstool would have more structure for a centerpiece.  So maybe both.

That's an dope little tank! Its a similar concept for sure, I'm planning on constructing my shell out of styrofoam and doing a full encasing but after seeing this I might plant the structure too 🤔 Totally ganna lurk that thread for some inspriation! Thanks!

I agree about the toadstool being a more stable centerpiece. Also thinking now maybe a nice torch or some kind of other Euphyllia, I'm a fan of flowy coral. Anyway I plan on planting the sides of the tank with mushrooms and zoas so a maxi would fit fine sitting in there I think. 

• Like 1
Noah C Peterson
4 hours ago, MetaTank said:

Welcome back to the hobby! Much like you, I haven't had a reef tank in a few years, and this Pico competition is my re-introduction to reefing as well! Love the cave concept, and I'm  eager to see this shadow box and the work you do outside of the tank as well! Should be an exciting one to follow along!

And :welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Glad there are a few of us jumping back in! I can't wait to see how everyone's tanks shape up! Glad there is a community that's so welcoming and enthusiastic, I'm happy to join in the fun! 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Noah C Peterson

Okay so it's about time for an update. The build on this is about as hard as I expected lots of trial and error but slowly things are coming together! 

I ordered some window tint to act as the background. Had a terrible time because it came with no instructions. Another roll of vinyl and one YouTube video later ( Yes I got it on one try after just watching a video 😪) here are the results. (I hope I'm posting right lol) 

Screenshot_20190430-214140_Video%20Playe

I decided to build a small base for the aquarium to add a little height. Just a simple 2X4 frame that includes the space for the shadowbox.

Screenshot_20190430-214153_Video%20Playe

The shadowbox itself is just some some plywood I had laying around that I cut to the size of the base. Slapped it together with some wood glue. TBH I didn't try too hard to be exact on any of these measurements since it's all going to be covered anyway.

Screenshot_20190430-214202_Video%20Playe

Screenshot_20190430-214225_Video%20Playe

Rigged some cheap LEDs in the top of the shadowbox, I was a little undecided on them as they seems kinda dim. Then when trying to add another strip I snapped the connection sooooo I'll be getting some newer hopefully brighter strips later this week. 

So I haven't done much to the backdrop as I'm waiting on these new lights but I have this photo from before I broke the old ones. You can at least see what I'm going for.

Screenshot_20190430-214318_Gallery_zpsfc

All in all I'm pretty happy with how its shaping up. Definitely got a lot of work to do but I'm happy its slowly shaping up. I'm starting to think taking care of the reef is ganna be the easy part 😂😂

• Like 5
Noah C Peterson
8 hours ago, seabass said:

I love this idea!! I was already thinking about toying with the background to fake the light effect cause I didn't wanna bother soldering anything but those look so dope! Thanks!! 

I've got a lot of playing around to do with the shadow box once these next round of LEDs come in. Might end up redoing the vinyl entirely TBH.

• Like 5

Hey, here's some encouragement...

Get a MOVE ON, so we can see the final effect!!! Just kidding!

I will be waiting patiently for more updates (;

• Haha 3
Noah C Peterson

Thanks for all the motivation! The lights came quicker than expected so I did a little playing around. Gotta wait till next week for an actual scape to go back here. These LEDs look a lot better imo.

Just the backlights 

20190502_101604_zpsqllpvpsk.jpg

Backlights and Mains

20190502_101516_zpsm5hhkhtj.jpg

Its slowly taking shape 😬😬

• Like 8
Wonderboy

Nice! Definitely getting there - I really liked that detail you could see in the rock in the first preview of the background box. Is it possible to hang that branchy piece?

What was you're plan for substrate/scape? Maybe you could keep it real low with only some flat rock placed on the bottom and rubble in the cracks? Would also make it less challenging to scrape the back.

• Like 1

This is a neat concept! A few years ago, I went to a Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Natural History museum. They'd designed the entrance to the exhibit to look and feel like you were entering a cave; it felt a little like going back in time. Your concept pictures reminded me of that. Super cool!

• Like 2
Noah C Peterson
On 5/2/2019 at 10:55 AM, Wonderboy said:

Nice! Definitely getting there - I really liked that detail you could see in the rock in the first preview of the background box. Is it possible to hang that branchy piece?

What was you're plan for substrate/scape? Maybe you could keep it real low with only some flat rock placed on the bottom and rubble in the cracks? Would also make it less challenging to scrape the back.

Thanks so much! The plan RN is to build cut outs and apply rock to them in layers to create extra depth. The rocks in there now are just to show the effect of the shadowbox.

As for the interior of the tank I am planning to do a slopes scape on the sides and a low central spot to highlight my "showpiece" it's going to be minimally scaped, but I imagine I'm ganna have to do a lot of toying around before it comes together. I'm out of town until tomorrow but I'll post some examples of rock work soon! 

• Like 1
Noah C Peterson
On 5/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, seabass said:

I like it as is.  But if you still want a cave look, an additional film could change the look.

cave.jpg.8603af9557cec2d9edf2eddb480e6763.jpg

My plan is to actually build a styrofoam cave around the entire tank as a sort of stand and canopy.

I'm honestly thinking of getting a different vinyl for the back anyways. I wanna see more of what's going on back there. I might switch it out for a much more transparent color and go lighter on the sanding. The LEDs change color so I don't think the color or the vinyl is as important and I originally did. I should have time to play around with it tomorrow though so we shall see! 

• Like 3
Noah C Peterson
On 5/2/2019 at 7:32 PM, Lula_Mae said:

This is a neat concept! A few years ago, I went to a Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Natural History museum. They'd designed the entrance to the exhibit to look and feel like you were entering a cave; it felt a little like going back in time. Your concept pictures reminded me of that. Super 

This is exactly what I want to hear! Thank you!  Hopefully it keeps going in that direction 😬

• Like 2