Top Shelf Aquatics

how many of you have a janky tank as their primary tank?

Friendly

^ superjank!

But, good, functional jank.

My 40 breeder budget-jank is almost ready for water, all internal or HOB for filtration is the plan-

large.IMG_20190421_200357.jpg.c291018c22601f9c3b7bdd733c15f462.jpglarge.IMG_20190421_200351.jpg.a980ca8f273167df546882a1501d7726.jpg

Compare to the existing turbo-jank 20 long setup to the left, very janky and soon to come down.

Hey, what if you just use a knife and break the seal on the rim and take it off. I'm sure it's a long and hard process, and you would definentaly have to clean up the excess acrylic, but I think it would work. I think I saw a youtube video a while back on it. Best of luck 

I've read that you don't want to de-rim the larger tanks...they need the support. it's only the smaller tanks you can get away with it.

I wish I could get a 30 gallon breeder...but alas, nobody will ship anything larger than a 22 gallon due to breakage here. 😞

also, very cool and thank you for sharing! 🙂

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dutchymomo said:

You could buy a piece of glass or acrylic and use silicon to attach it across the tank as a brace. 

that's very true...but if the glass  isn't even or sharp, it leaves for a lot of work to be done and only to end up with something that still isn't really rimless.

I'd be find with a 20g long or 30g breeder that's janky.  🙂 

• Like 1

I've seen a few de-rimmed 10, 20, 40 gallon AGA/Aqueon tanks and they usually look terrible, the glass isn't all that even, is usually sharp, and the silicone job is wonky at the top corners. I'd sooner just buy glass and build my own than bother tearing one apart and cleaning it up.

• Like 1

I have been in the hobby for 2 decades and have never had anything but a 'janky' tank.  My current tank is my favorite of all the tanks I have had, an Aqueon 56 column.  Although shallow tanks are preferred these days I have enjoyed utilizing the 2' of height available to me with this 56 gallon.

2019-04-09_11-02-37

Janky heaven in my livingroom! LOL

• Like 2

When I started in the hobby, almost everyone had rimmed tanks, or something like a Biocube.  Rimless tanks and AIO's were generally expensive and hard to come by.  People built some beautiful tanks in those standard size rimmed aquariums.  Take a look at some of the old TOTM, tanks like Lalani's, etc.  I think rimless tanks have become so popular that sometimes newcomers to the hobby feel they can't have a nice tank if it's rimmed, and that's just not the case.  I'd rather spend the money on nice equipment or coral if the rimless tank you want is cost-prohibitive.  Maybe a few years from now you can get a rimless one in a size you like, trends change in the hobby all the time and new stuff becomes available.  Rimless tanks are gorgie but it took almost a decade in the hobby before I bought one!

• Like 4
Gourami Swami

jeez 70 bucks for a 20 gallon?

Do they have craigslist and amazon up there?

Here's a 24 gallon rimless AIO for 188$ on Amazon

Craigslist you can usually find deals

Down here 20 gallons run 20 dollars