SaltCritters.com

Lagoon 25 | SPS Reef

House Reef

Hello everyone,

I've been reading these forums for inspiration ever since I joined the nano world, and there are so many great threads that gave me plenty of ideas that I wanted to start my own, and hopefully - without being big headed - I can give someone else a little inspiration one day from this.

For a little background on myself, I used to run a Reefer 525 on the KZ ZEOvit method until around 8 or so months ago. I shut that down due to mostly running costs, and I never felt like I was getting anywhere with it. My style of tank is definitely a deep (front to back) but shallow tank that has a nice aspect ratio - so I have no idea why I bought the Reefer because it wasn't any of those things at all. The Innovative Marine Lagoon 25 had been on my radar for some years now but being in the UK, we have only one or two suppliers I think. Right when I was shutting the Reefer down, the main supplier had stock of the Lagoons in on their first ever shipment, but I missed out on them because being an indecisive **** I didn't pull the trigger quick enough. I needed a tank to keep my clownfish and a few corals in because I wasn't prepared to let those go for sentimental reasons, so I ended up with a Fluval Evo 13.5. That lasted maybe 6 months until last week when that same supplier had their second shipment in. This time I didn't miss out and ordered the Lagoon straight away!

So without further ado, here is my new setup which I intend to keep for a lot longer than the Fluval or the Reefer. I'll detail the planned upgrades and methods in a further post.

Innovative Marine Lagoon 25

Aqua Illumination Prime HD

GHL Profilux 4

Tunze 3152 ATO

InTank Media Basket x2

Jebao OW-10

Schego 100w Titanium heater

IKEA Stuva/Besta stand - heavily reinforced

46891884364_562536b001_c.jpg14-4-2019 | Full Tank Shot by Andy, on Flickr

32673517137_97e548b8c2_c.jpg14-4-2019 | Overview Face On by Andy, on Flickr

32673514997_161212086f_c.jpg14-4-2019 | Overview by Andy, on Flickr

40649615073_94c2b2d892_c.jpg14-4-2019 | Top Down by Andy, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Andy

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
BearTheSquare

Love the scape and everything looks great! 

How are the corals doing while being so low so low in the tank with the prime hd? I’m thinking about lowering my rockwork while still keeping some sps.

31 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Nice setup! 

That IKEA stand is the perfect fit! Nice work there.

I'll be following along

Thanks.

Its almost perfect, but it measures 49cm deep not 50cm as the tank is. I’ve just mounted a slim piece of timber along the top back edge to support the rear pane of glass. But other than that it’s perfect, especially as we have a long sideboard in the same style next to it in the room.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, BearTheSquare said:

Love the scape and everything looks great! 

How are the corals doing while being so low so low in the tank with the prime hd? I’m thinking about lowering my rockwork while still keeping some sps.

Cheers.

Its only been a few days but they seem ok, will see more long term, although my first planned upgrade is to get a 6x24w ATI Powermodule as soon as possible. Atm I only have Montipora really so nothing too light demanding compared to Acropora.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

This is a beautiful nano reef system you've created @Pandy! I really like the aquascape you've made for the lagoon, that'll be a great foundation. How nice you can keep the fish and some coral going from your previous system too. Looking forward to watching this one grow, thanks for sharing with us!

On 4/16/2019 at 7:54 PM, Christopher Marks said:

This is a beautiful nano reef system you've created @Pandy! I really like the aquascape you've made for the lagoon, that'll be a great foundation. How nice you can keep the fish and some coral going from your previous system too. Looking forward to watching this one grow, thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks for the kind words Christopher, appreciate it! 

I like it too, nice and low and simple which should give a good base as you say.

My now female clown was my first marine fish, and her partner is my sons first marine fish so there was no way they weren’t coming with all these recent tank changes!

You and me both, thanks.

8 hours ago, chathurai said:

Nice setup @pandy. do you run zeovit on this system too ? 

Cheers.

Not a chance on something this small 🤣 I’m going down a more natural route this time I think, keep it a little more simple.

I wanted to share a few photos of some of the coral stock I have in the tank. You’ll have to excuse the pictures being taken in my previous tank, but everything is still settling in to the Lagoon so I haven’t anything fresh from that just yet - but rest assured it will be coming!

47593381642_f5f5c3a956_c.jpgMystic Sunset Montipora sp by Andy, on Flickr

47593381302_33350e8d07_c.jpgRed polyp Montipora sp by Andy, on Flickr

47646282121_08cc6f89fd_c.jpgBeachbum by Andy, on Flickr

47593382752_4647eb7fa0_c.jpgHammer macro by Andy, on Flickr

40679562933_4f107e61cd_c.jpgScolymia feeding by Andy, on Flickr

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
House Reef
I started dosing Core7 last week due to my all dropping down to 5 something dkh, and am really pleased with the tank since I've started dosing. I feel like its had a nice positive effect so far. Im dosing manually at present, but do intend to invest in a GHL Doser 2.1 when I can - sooner rather than later hopefully!

Here are some photos from today. Everything looks in good health, even if i have a touch of cyano on some of the rock work.

32854340987_a70173ecc1_c.jpg7-5-2019 | Alveopora by Andy, on Flickr

47745604512_53e2587129_c.jpg7-5-2019 | Fungia_ by Andy, on Flickr

33920814258_78ee938c39_c.jpg7-5-2019 | Scolymia_ by Andy, on Flickr

• Like 4
WV Reefer
1 hour ago, Pandy said:
I started dosing Core7 last week due to my all dropping down to 5 something dkh, and am really pleased with the tank since I've started dosing. I feel like its had a nice positive effect so far. Im dosing manually at present, but do intend to invest in a GHL Doser 2.1 when I can - sooner rather than later hopefully!

Here are some photos from today. Everything looks in good health, even if i have a touch of cyano on some of the rock work.

32854340987_a70173ecc1_c.jpg7-5-2019 | Alveopora by Andy, on Flickr

47745604512_53e2587129_c.jpg7-5-2019 | Fungia_ by Andy, on Flickr

33920814258_78ee938c39_c.jpg7-5-2019 | Scolymia_ by Andy, on Flickr

Very nice pictures. 😊

House Reef
47 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

very cool monti-dominated tank.  

Thank you. Getting more sps in the tank these days, I miss Acros too much!

House Reef
8 hours ago, pricewayne said:

*drooling*

Definitely! It’s barely a bleeding apple

scoly with only a small amount of red, but it’s still a beautiful animal.

7 hours ago, ReeferBray said:

From top to bottom beautiful setup folling along send that pics 🤤

Following 

Very kind of you to say so, thank you 🙏 

There will be no shortage of pictures I can assure you.

• Like 1
House Reef
7 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Oh wow.  These photos are amazing!  Love everything in this tank!  Well done.

Thanks very much. There’s something about this tank, Ive been after a shallow tank with a nice aspect ratio for ages, and it just seems to have clicked and I’m really enjoying every aspect of it. Makes it much easier to capture the right photos. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pandy said:

Thanks very much. There’s something about this tank, Ive been after a shallow tank with a nice aspect ratio for ages, and it just seems to have clicked and I’m really enjoying every aspect of it. Makes it much easier to capture the right photos. 

I'm a big fan of the shallow tanks as well.  The dimensions of the IM Lagoon are very nice! 

SliceGolfer

Looking great, Pandy! Your tank makes me wish I went with the lagoon over the IM 20. Excited to see how this grows out over the next 6-9 months 👍