fissues

I haven't had a tank in about 6 or 7 years. The last one was a low budget 75 that I tore down while I did a stint as a photographer for a high end reef shop in the midwest. I only ever had the desire to do 1 more tank, and it's this one. It's been in the plans the whole time evolving with the knowledge I've gained from consulting on hundreds of builds, caring for some of the rarest fish to be imported, and farming crazy amounts of coral. I've just been waiting for the right combination of money, gear, technology, and life balance to make it work with my highly eratic lifestyle. 

I'll try not to screw it up 😉

Current stage:

20190414_174153.thumb.jpg.1fb9ad2ddb95405d930bb3ab876eee94.jpg

1/2" Baltic Birch on the bottom and sides. 3/4" on top. So many people underestimate the strength of a simple plywood box made with quality lumber and some strong wood glue. 

20190415_161523.thumb.jpg.1235598aa61426e8c47b69e2dacdc8aa.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a good start.  What size is this project?

Oh DUH!  You said 20...

Ooooh, sounds like this'll be fun to follow. The voice in my head read your entries with an aristocratic british accent -- it paired well with the b&w photos.

Set on any livestock plans, yet? Look forward to following along 🙂

1 hour ago, Jim_i said:

Looks like a good start.  What size is this project?

Oh DUH!  You said 20...

Thanks. I'll share the dims and give a peak at some of the gear chosen in the next few days. 

1 hour ago, pricewayne said:

Ooooh, sounds like this'll be fun to follow. The voice in my head read your entries with an aristocratic british accent -- it paired well with the b&w photos.

Set on any livestock plans, yet? Look forward to following along 🙂

Lol if only I didn't have the world's sh1ttiest British accent. 

I'm not 1000% on livestock plans yet, but I always envisioned this as  95-100% SPS (mostly crazier colorations). I'll probably do something like 10 or fewer pieces that I would grow into larger colonies rather than 20 or 30 mini colonies. Possibly a clam, and I've been mulling over the idea of a rare bubble tip to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into. 

I've got an 8ish year old pair of B&W clowns my niece has been watching over that I'm going to introduce, and replace hers with something more colorful.

I'm also thinking of:

-Lotilia graciliosa w/ Alpheus sp. (Whitecap Goby) 
-Ecsenius bimaculatus (2 Spot bimaculatus Blenny) 
-Gobiosoma macrodon (ORA Tiger Goby) 

I still haven't decided if I'll have any colored fish, but I've always enjoyed Serranocirrhitus latus (Sunburst Anthias). 

I'd also LOVE to have a young pair of Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp, but that doesn't seem like a possibility with the Hawaiian restrictions. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, fissues said:

Thanks. I'll share the dims and give a peak at some of the gear chosen in the next few days. 

Lol if only I didn't have the world's sh1ttiest British accent. 

I'm not 1000% on livestock plans yet, but I always envisioned this as  95-100% SPS (mostly crazier colorations). I'll probably do something like 10 or fewer pieces that I would grow into larger colonies rather than 20 or 30 mini colonies. Possibly a clam, and I've been mulling over the idea of a rare bubble tip to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into. 

I've got an 8ish year old pair of B&W clowns my niece has been watching over that I'm going to introduce, and replace hers with something more colorful.

I'm also thinking of:

-Lotilia graciliosa w/ Alpheus sp. (Whitecap Goby) 
-Ecsenius bimaculatus (2 Spot bimaculatus Blenny) 
-Gobiosoma macrodon (ORA Tiger Goby) 

I still haven't decided if I'll have any colored fish, but I've always enjoyed Serranocirrhitus latus (Sunburst Anthias). 

I'd also LOVE to have a young pair of Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp, but that doesn't seem like a possibility with the Hawaiian restrictions. 

Sounds beautiful!!

Love the idea to contrast your coral pops of color with b&w fish. I’m sensing a theme!

• Like 1