inTank Media Baskets

20 // UNS // [CC Inferno macro]

fissues

_DSC5446-1.thumb.jpg.e5b5862e40974391ed678bce95725820.jpg

20190714_150609.thumb.jpg.333b40552ab851823d7a5906a930ac87.jpg

-OG Post 

I haven't had a tank in about 6 or 7 years. The last one was a low budget 75 that I tore down while I did a stint as a photographer for a high end reef shop in the midwest. I only ever had the desire to do 1 more tank, and it's this one. It's been in the plans the whole time evolving with the knowledge I've gained from consulting on hundreds of builds, caring for some of the rarest fish to be imported, and farming crazy amounts of coral. I've just been waiting for the right combination of money, gear, technology, and life balance to make it work with my highly eratic lifestyle. 

I'll try not to screw it up 😉

Current stage:

20190414_174153.thumb.jpg.1fb9ad2ddb95405d930bb3ab876eee94.jpg

• Like 2

1/2" Baltic Birch on the bottom and sides. 3/4" on top. So many people underestimate the strength of a simple plywood box made with quality lumber and some strong wood glue. 

20190415_161523.thumb.jpg.1235598aa61426e8c47b69e2dacdc8aa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Ooooh, sounds like this'll be fun to follow. The voice in my head read your entries with an aristocratic british accent -- it paired well with the b&w photos.

Set on any livestock plans, yet? Look forward to following along 🙂

1 hour ago, Jim_i said:

Looks like a good start.  What size is this project?

Oh DUH!  You said 20...

Thanks. I'll share the dims and give a peak at some of the gear chosen in the next few days. 

1 hour ago, pricewayne said:

Ooooh, sounds like this'll be fun to follow. The voice in my head read your entries with an aristocratic british accent -- it paired well with the b&w photos.

Set on any livestock plans, yet? Look forward to following along 🙂

Lol if only I didn't have the world's sh1ttiest British accent. 

I'm not 1000% on livestock plans yet, but I always envisioned this as  95-100% SPS (mostly crazier colorations). I'll probably do something like 10 or fewer pieces that I would grow into larger colonies rather than 20 or 30 mini colonies. Possibly a clam, and I've been mulling over the idea of a rare bubble tip to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into. 

I've got an 8ish year old pair of B&W clowns my niece has been watching over that I'm going to introduce, and replace hers with something more colorful.

I'm also thinking of:

-Lotilia graciliosa w/ Alpheus sp. (Whitecap Goby) 
-Ecsenius bimaculatus (2 Spot bimaculatus Blenny) 
-Gobiosoma macrodon (ORA Tiger Goby) 

I still haven't decided if I'll have any colored fish, but I've always enjoyed Serranocirrhitus latus (Sunburst Anthias). 

I'd also LOVE to have a young pair of Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp, but that doesn't seem like a possibility with the Hawaiian restrictions. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, fissues said:

Thanks. I'll share the dims and give a peak at some of the gear chosen in the next few days. 

Lol if only I didn't have the world's sh1ttiest British accent. 

I'm not 1000% on livestock plans yet, but I always envisioned this as  95-100% SPS (mostly crazier colorations). I'll probably do something like 10 or fewer pieces that I would grow into larger colonies rather than 20 or 30 mini colonies. Possibly a clam, and I've been mulling over the idea of a rare bubble tip to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into. 

I've got an 8ish year old pair of B&W clowns my niece has been watching over that I'm going to introduce, and replace hers with something more colorful.

I'm also thinking of:

-Lotilia graciliosa w/ Alpheus sp. (Whitecap Goby) 
-Ecsenius bimaculatus (2 Spot bimaculatus Blenny) 
-Gobiosoma macrodon (ORA Tiger Goby) 

I still haven't decided if I'll have any colored fish, but I've always enjoyed Serranocirrhitus latus (Sunburst Anthias). 

I'd also LOVE to have a young pair of Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp, but that doesn't seem like a possibility with the Hawaiian restrictions. 

Sounds beautiful!!

Love the idea to contrast your coral pops of color with b&w fish. I’m sensing a theme!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So I got hired for a few video jobs out in Nashville the first half of May, so I haven't even been in town to think about the setup. I'm about ready to start putting things together over the next week or so. 

Here's where I'm at... 

20190518_174711.thumb.jpg.df788e6140d631d289cdde3f8a88fac3.jpg

I still haven't finished the door for this stand, but I wanna get some water in this thing so I'll add that later. 

'scape' s done... TOTM, please. 20190518_180310.thumb.jpg.390451b54fe10d5cfce484cec779dc91.jpg

Today I'll try to finish getting the display looking how I want it and post some pics. I will have a sump on this thing, but I need to drill a couple holes in the back of the stand, so ill be able to add the overflow/plumbing later in the week. Any guesses what I chose? 

• Like 5

The sand finally settled from yesterday, and I think this is the aquascape I'm gonna go with... 

20190520_074418.thumb.jpg.8f6e875ddcd473ffe26b4b5d0caa1b17.jpg

20190520_074231.thumb.jpg.9bf406757458d6a9f3a63f17ce92eafc.jpg

20190520_075213.thumb.jpg.9a2e162bd1ac26183f885847591ff8a4.jpg

I had a few other ideas before this, but I specifically wanted something minimal that draws elements from the freshwater iwagumi world. This one also looked the least like a awkwardly balanced pile of rocks out of all the other hardscapes I tried. I can already imagine exactly where to place which species to compliment the overall look as everything grows out. 

I probably only used about half of the rock I bought and spent a number of hours trying different combinations and deciding over 2 days until I settled on this. 

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
pricewayne
2 hours ago, fissues said:

The sand finally settled from yesterday, and I think this is the aquascape I'm gonna go with... 

20190520_074418.thumb.jpg.8f6e875ddcd473ffe26b4b5d0caa1b17.jpg

20190520_074231.thumb.jpg.9bf406757458d6a9f3a63f17ce92eafc.jpg

20190520_075213.thumb.jpg.9a2e162bd1ac26183f885847591ff8a4.jpg

I had a few other ideas before this, but I specifically wanted something minimal that draws elements from the freshwater iwagumi world. This one also looked the least like a awkwardly balanced pile of rocks out of all the other hardscapes I tried. I can already imagine exactly where to place which species to compliment the overall look as everything grows out. 

I probably only used about half of the rock I bought and spent a number of hours trying different combinations and deciding over 2 days until I settled on this. 

I love it! Your inspiration from the imagumi style really shows, nice work.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

I love it! Your inspiration from the imagumi style really shows, nice work.

Thanks! It's definitely way tougher to do in a smaller reef tank, that's for sure. 

39 minutes ago, ReeferBray said:

Tank is looking super nice what light you planing on useing

Thank you! Well, I still have to figure out exactly how I'm gonna hang it... But I have an extremely lightly used one of these...

20190520_110925.thumb.jpg.356d941c47a22f664b216d86be90f328.jpg

Radion G4 Pro

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Congrats on getting water in your new nano reef system @fissues! You've created an absolutely incredible aquascape, I can't wait to see what's next!

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Hopefully I can get the sump hooked up and all the other equipment running this week. I wanna see if I can get my clowns in here this weekend, as long as everything tests well.

I'll probably also break out my good camera and take some HQ photos/videos soon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ReeferBray said:

From the scaping to the wave power to the light you on a great track wil be following along 

Thanks! I'll have some more stuff for you to look at in the next few days. 

• Like 2

This is most of what's been slowing me down from getting my sump hooked up. Since I made my stand as a plywood box, I neglected to cut holes for ventilation/plumbing, because I thought I'd have plenty of extra time until now... But here we are at midnight on a Wednesday in May... 

I'm a little particular on stuff like this, so it goes more like... Think 10 times, contemplate cutting once, think 10 more times, make a drink, think again, think about the drink, think about cutting, take a drink, cut once, think about the 1/16th of an inch you missed by, finish the drink. 

And this is how that ends up... This shot is looking in through the front door. The 2 holes at in the corners are for 2x 80mm fans, and the third hole on the bottom-left is for the drain/return Tubing.

20190523_001016.thumb.jpg.320aaabee24a2a874ee6a6e1528e1dad.jpg

Also notice the cutout at the top, sealed off by another sheet of wood... I designed this stand with a removable surface so I could more easily and safely transport the tank. I'm 100% going to be moving out of my apartment in the next 6-12 months, so this will make it way easier to keep the rimless tank from cracking while I keep it filled with the dampened rock/sand. 

Time for the sump... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
pricewayne
34 minutes ago, fissues said:

This is most of what's been slowing me down from getting my sump hooked up. Since I made my stand as a plywood box, I neglected to cut holes for ventilation/plumbing, because I thought I'd have plenty of extra time until now... But here we are at midnight on a Wednesday in May... 

I'm a little particular on stuff like this, so it goes more like... Think 10 times, contemplate cutting once, think 10 more times, make a drink, think again, think about the drink, think about cutting, take a drink, cut once, think about the 1/16th of an inch you missed by, finish the drink. 

And this is how that ends up... This shot is looking in through the front door. The 2 holes at in the corners are for 2x 80mm fans, and the third hole on the bottom-left is for the drain/return Tubing.

20190523_001016.thumb.jpg.320aaabee24a2a874ee6a6e1528e1dad.jpg

Also notice the cutout at the top, sealed off by another sheet of wood... I designed this stand with a removable surface so I could more easily and safely transport the tank. I'm 100% going to be moving out of my apartment in the next 6-12 months, so this will make it way easier to keep the rimless tank from cracking while I keep it filled with the dampened rock/sand. 

Time for the sump... 

Let me tell you, the number of times I will measure something before drilling//cutting annnnything is just absurd. Glad to hear I’m not the only one & sounds like I need to add drinks to my measurement mix.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

Let me tell you, the number of times I will measure something before drilling//cutting annnnything is just absurd. Glad to hear I’m not the only one & sounds like I need to add drinks to my measurement mix.

Oh, I'm Irish... technically speaking, the drinks do more work than I do. 😝

• Haha 1

Well I was TRYING to hook this thing up on Thursday, but it's not functioning properly and I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong, yet. 

20190525_141845.thumb.jpg.2150f4497e670e001229c8356a6e2c41.jpg

The venturi won't suck water from the return to the drain to auto start the drain siphon. I'm using an Innovative Marine Mighty Jet (538gph} for a return pump.

Anybody know anyone with any knowledge on these things? 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a freelancer, so my schedule has been killing me the last couple weeks, so I still haven't  gotten a chance to put a few hours into solving my Mame issues.

I did however get my niece a couple new ocellaris and bring my B&W clowns home from her tank... 

And this was after they settled in overnight... 

This week I'll probably pick up a handful of inverts just to spice things up. 

• Like 2
  • fissues changed the title to 20 // UNS // SPS