Hey everyone!

The time has finally come (some peer pressure was involved haha) and I'm ready to show off my tank! 

I upgraded recently from a Cadlights 8G to a Cobalt C-Vue 26g, transferring everything to the bigger tank.  This is my first biotope however I'm pretty proud of how it's coming along.  I've seen a lot of Caribbean biotopes lately and noticed a lot of interest in them. I'd like to clarify though I have had a Caribbean biotope in my home since late 2017! 🙂

Here is a FTS of my old 8G (since has been transferred and taken down): 

8G - FTS March 2018:

20180306_114822_zpsfw1hjme0.jpg

Now here are pictures of my current 26G tank:

26G - FTS April 2019:

20190414_192339_zps48cjjmqz.jpg

26G - Left Side:

20190414_144012_zpsqggxotmq.jpg

26G - Right Side:

20190414_144040_zpsx73w4xqw.jpg

Bonus macro shot of my Jawfish and neon Ricordea:

20190414_124543_zpswf2n0koa.jpg

-EQUIPMENT-

Tank:

AIO Cobalt C-Vue 26G

Custom black stand

Lighting/Heating:

Single AI Prime HD

Cobalt 75W Heater

Inkbird ITC-306T temp controller

Filtration:

Intank Media Basket with filter floss, Chemipure Blue and Purigen

Cobalt filter sock

DIY Chaeto Reactor

Flow/ATO:

Icecap Gyre 1k

Cobalt pump

AquaSmart Micro ATO

-LIVESTOCK-

Fish:

Chalk Bass - Serranus Tortugarum

Yellowhead Jawfish - Opistognathus aurifrons

Neon Goby x2 (Non-mated pair) - Elacatinus oceanops

Inverts:

Blue Leg Hermit x5 - Clibanarius tricolor 

Porcelain Crab x2 - Petrolisthes galathinus

One lone Cerith Snail - Cerithiidae

Corals:

Gorgonian x6 (when viewing left to right):

Yellow Sea Feather -  Pseudopterogorgia sp

Purple Brush Gorgonian - Muriceopsis flavida

Knobby Sea Rod -  Eunicea sp

Rusty Gorgonian - Muricea elongate

Yellow Sea Whip - Pterogorgia citrina

Purple Sea Feather - Pseudopterogorgia sp

Rock Flower Anemone

Florida Ricordea x4

Various Caribbean Zoanthid species x4. 

Caulerpa in the display and Chaeto in my reactor. 

Big shout out to KPaquatics.com for always being top notch on livestock and being patient with my questions. I apologize for the bad photos I just got a reef phone filter lens and am still playing around with it. I will keep posting photos here as I have much more planned for the future!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, melson said:

Hey everyone!

The time has finally come (some peer pressure was involved haha) and I'm ready to show off my tank! 

I upgraded recently from a Cadlights 8G to a Cobalt C-Vue 26g, transferring everything to the bigger tank.  This is my first biotope however I'm pretty proud of how it's coming along.  I've seen a lot of Caribbean biotopes lately and noticed a lot of interest in them. I'd like to clarify though I have had a Caribbean biotope in my home since late 2017! 🙂

Here is a FTS of my old 8G (since has been transferred and taken down): 

8G - FTS March 2018:

20180306_114822_zpsfw1hjme0.jpg

Now here are pictures of my current 26G tank:

26G - FTS April 2019:

20190414_192339_zps48cjjmqz.jpg

26G - Left Side:

20190414_144012_zpsqggxotmq.jpg

26G - Right Side:

20190414_144040_zpsx73w4xqw.jpg

Bonus macro shot of my Jawfish and neon Ricordea:

20190414_124543_zpswf2n0koa.jpg

-EQUIPMENT-

Tank:

AIO Cobalt C-Vue 26G

Custom black stand

Lighting/Heating:

Single AI Prime HD

Cobalt 75W Heater

Inkbird ITC-306T temp controller

Filtration:

Intank Media Basket with filter floss, Chemipure Blue and Purigen

Cobalt filter sock

DIY Chaeto Reactor

Flow/ATO:

Icecap Gyre 1k

Cobalt pump

AquaSmart Micro ATO

-LIVESTOCK-

Fish:

Chalk Bass - Serranus Tortugarum

Yellowhead Jawfish - Opistognathus aurifrons

Neon Goby x2 (Non-mated pair) - Elacatinus oceanops

Inverts:

Blue Leg Hermit x5 - Clibanarius tricolor 

Porcelain Crab x2 - Petrolisthes galathinus

One lone Cerith Snail - Cerithiidae

Corals:

Gorgonian x6 (when viewing left to right):

Yellow Sea Feather -  Pseudopterogorgia sp

Purple Brush Gorgonian - Muriceopsis flavida

Knobby Sea Rod -  Eunicea sp

Rusty Gorgonian - Muricea elongate

Yellow Sea Whip - Pterogorgia citrina

Purple Sea Feather - Pseudopterogorgia sp

Rock Flower Anemone

Florida Ricordea x4

Various Caribbean Zoanthid species x4. 

Caulerpa in the display and Chaeto in my reactor. 

Big shout out to KPaquatics.com for always being top notch on livestock and being patient with my questions. I apologize for the bad photos I just got a reef phone filter lens and am still playing around with it. I will keep posting photos here and as I have much more planned for the future!

I like it! 😀

Yes! I can't hit "like" enough times! 😁

Looking great, Melson! I love your large colonies of zoanthids; they are very beautiful. Did you get those big Palythoa-looking zoas from Kpaquatics as well?

Please post numerous pictures. 😄 You'd better believe I'll be following along!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Yes! I can't hit "like" enough times! 😁

Looking great, Melson! I love your large colonies of zoanthids; they are very beautiful. Did you get those big Palythoa-looking zoas from Kpaquatics as well?

Please post numerous pictures. 😄 You'd better believe I'll be following along!

@billygoat I have you to thank for putting the pressure on me!!

Yup all of my zoas are from kpaquatics. I'll post some better pictures tomorrow when they're opened up looking nice! When I took the FTS above they werent all open yet.

And yes those big brown palys and the green zoas on top are on a rock of its own for a reason! They spread like wildfire!

• Like 1

You're very welcome! I'm so glad you made a journal, so you can teach me how to put a proper biotope together! 😄 I feel I have a lot to learn from what you've got going on.

I have some of what I think are the same green zoas, but I might have to get a few of those brown palys as well... I really like how big and open they look. Maybe I'll put a few on a side-rock somewhere, just to make sure they don't overgrow everything.

How long has it been since you made the move from the 8G over to the C-Vue?

@billygoat,

Yeah I just looked on your thread and you have the same green zoas in your biotope too! Heed my warning on them though 😂

I transferred to the C-Vue first week of Feb. As you can see coralline algae hasn't spread to the dry rock I put in making the coral glue I had to use look hideous. But glue was necessary when keeping a jawfish. I've learned that the hard way!

Here is one of my zoas in the front of the tank opened up. I'm not sure what the hairlike substance is around it that came with the frag. When I tried to pull it off it was stuck like hair on a scalp! Any thoughts?

zoa_zpstelo4954.jpg

I'm still unable to get a good photo of one of my zoa colonies, a more smaller deep green water zoa colony. I did harvest my chaeto for the first time. This is about a month and a half of growth filling the reactor about 90% full.

20190416_115303_zpsmlcomo8d.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, melson said:

Here is one of my zoas in the front of the tank opened up. I'm not sure what the hairlike substance is around it that came with the frag. When I tried to pull it off it was stuck like hair on a scalp! Any thoughts?

Looks a bit like Bryopsis, though that stuff is usually pretty easy to manually remove. Is it green, with feathery pinnate tips? Or is it clearly not some kind of alga? Could be a weird hydrozoan or something like that, but the fact that it doesn't appear to be stinging the zoas makes me think it's probably algae.

49 minutes ago, melson said:

Yeah I just looked on your thread and you have the same green zoas in your biotope too! Heed my warning on them though 😂

Oh yeah, I will have to keep an eye on those! They are right smack in the middle of my 'scape too. Could be trouble down the road! 😂

Looks like pretty great Chaeto growth you've got going on there too. It must be super satisfying to pull a whole brick of the stuff out of your reactor. If mine grows half as well I'll be happy! 😄

What kind of grow light are you using for your Chaeto?

• Like 1

I just picked up the marine depot chaeto kit. It gives off a warm white glow and run it at night.

I was considering the gem5 led in fact but I hadn't heard much about them and wasn't sure it'd fit behind my cvue.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was on the fence about the GEM5 since there were nearly no reviews of it online, but it turned out to be a pretty nice little light and seems to be well-made. It's probably way too strong for my small tank - I had to jam it diagonally into my return pump chamber to get it to fit - but hopefully the Chaeto is liking it! 😁