Top Shelf Aquatics

On 11/11/2019 at 11:28 PM, Gravity said:

Looks like the new duncan has some dark stubby tentacles. Is this anything to be concerned about?

C386CCE8-3C16-4E8C-83D0-B140B2843F3A.thumb.jpeg.977646ae6312e504fb1d798512dc6226.jpeg
8BE7A79B-E066-401E-992F-1B4AB19E2E34.thumb.jpeg.8d74a511f96450574c3cde7d72f8211a.jpeg

I wouldn't worry unduly, maybe a different type to the other(s) you have 

Mine is a short stubby tentacle variant

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

How is the duncan doing now?

Seems fine, open most of the time. Mostly concerned about a few shorter discolored tentacles. Possible pests? 

• Like 1
On 11/14/2019 at 6:30 PM, Amphrites said:

When they scrunch up the color will change, not sure why they're scrunching though.

I’m thinking you were right. The duncan looks much better now, after becoming accustom to my tank. DD38C8A4-A102-4193-85FB-D5FC09223707.thumb.jpeg.46c28459de7eefefe7f24dc7d75c0e08.jpeg

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Gravity said:

I’m thinking you were right. The duncan looks much better now, after becoming accustom to my tank. 

Stellar, glad to hear-it, most corals - corallimorphs - and nems will change color considerably when not fully-inflated. They'll predominately-appear darker as their membranes are no longer stretched and as translucent.

• Like 4

Update on the clownfish

- Columbus was released from the breeder box over the weekend of November 16/17 only during the day so I could keep an eye on him. Following the weekend he was returned to the breeder box to allow some fin damage to heal. 
- On Thanksgiving (11/28) Columbus was released again. The Gladiator clownfish continues to be aggressive but the breeder box remains in the tank with the lid open for Columbus to hide. As of yesterday I saw him demonstrate submissive behavior (showing of belly and twitching) which seems to reduce the Gladiator clownfish’s aggression. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Found some snail eggs on the glass yesterday. Anyone able to identify the species? I’m leaning towards cerith. 

Looks like Cerith eggs to me! They will make a delicious meal for your invertebrates once they hatch. 🍽️

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

After 27 days (12/25/19) Columbus has been continuously harassed by the Gladiator clownfish. So the gladiator has been temporarily moved to QT. The plan is to let Columbus heal up for two weeks and get comfortable in the tank. I would prefer longer but dont want to risk him turning female. After the two weeks, I will bring the gladiator back into the tank. The hope is that this disorients the gladiator and reduces aggression once reintroduced. 

45F708A8-726E-4B87-84AE-C96ECD29C160.jpeg

4B4B5C4A-9B91-4824-960D-612D88652F93.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like I lost my purple monster zoanthid. The pistol shrimp had kept moving the frag to its burrow entrance. A few days ago I had finally glued it down then the polyp disappeared. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Gravity said:

My acan somehow got ahold of a hermit molt. Wonder if it will actually consume it. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it eats it. I've seen one of my Palythoa eat a hermit molt in the past. Corals do the darndest things. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Here are the new corals I received yesterday from the cherry coral live sale a few weeks ago. 

958C945B-93CC-4BC4-AA7B-DCD5C7A404AF.thumb.jpeg.44f110c4446c7ccd0814ae4cbd2594b9.jpeg

corals under standard lighting from left to right

WWC AOI Zoanthid

OG Pink Zipper Palythoa 

Hot Hawaiian Palythoa

WWC Purple Monster Palythoa

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Over the last month or so I have been seeing an increase in red Cyano. I believe this is related to my low phosphorus and nitrate readings. I’m thinking of increasing my cleanup crew to reduce algae and hopefully allow nutrients to rise. Anyone have thoughts on this?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gravity said:

Over the last month or so I have been seeing an increase in red Cyano. I believe this is related to my low phosphorus and nitrate readings. I’m thinking of increasing my cleanup crew to reduce algae and hopefully allow nutrients to rise. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I had the same thing happen in my Office NR where I was getting cyanobacteria on my sandbed.  I added one Tiger Sand Conch and it may take a week for them to rev up, but once they do, they start eating the cyanobacteria and are commonly found sifting & burrowing in the sand.  However, I got a little impatient and wasn't aware that they get a lot more active after a week, so I bought a 2nd one since I noticed the 1st one was doing an OK job, but there was still more to do.  Fast forward after a couple weeks and my sandbed has been white & clean ever since adding the Tiger Sand Conchs.  (Note: Not all Conchs will eat the cyanobacteria; I would stay away from the Fighting Conch because they usually do not touch it.  Queen Conchs will also eat cyanobacteria, but they require a much larger tank since they can get quite big.)

Outside of the Tiger Sand Conchs, the Mexican Turbo Snails may eat a little cyanobacteria and may sift through the sand sometimes, but I find them much more useful in consuming various nuisance algaes such as Cotton Candy algae.  I even witnessed them eating Bubble algae sometimes.  Although they also ate my Red Dragon's Breath macroalgae so use with caution.

Stocky Cerith snails can sift through the sand and burrow and they're known to eat all kinds of algae, but I've never seen mine touch the cyanobacteria so I have them for the sake of diversity and keeping the sand sifted + eating various types of algae.

• Like 1