Pod Your Reef

AI PRIME HD or KESSIL A80?

j.falk

Hi everyone -

I recently set up a 20 gallon high nano aquarium.  The only thing that will be in this aquarium are 2 small Ocellaris clownfish, some small snails and (eventually) a small red bubble tip anemone.  My question is, which light should I get?  I had originally wanted an AI Prime HD...I had one of these lights a couple years ago on my 34 gallon column aquarium and it was great.  I loved the controllable features the light gave me...but...my concern is that it might be overkill for the tank?  Would a Kessil A80 work better for what I'm wanting to do?  Would a Kessil A80 put off enough light to sustain the anemone?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

- J

Kessil A80 seems underpowered for a 20g. I would go with the prime and dial it to an appropriate setting. My bubble tips seem to be pretty happy in higher par.

• Like 1

What PAR are you guys shooting for.  Someone mentioned PAR and I’m curious if you have measured PAR with these lights.   I have measured PAR with my AI prime but curious what that Kessil A80 produces.  

My tank ranges from 160 PAR in the shallowest and 130s mid tank and 80-100 near the bottom back edges.  I’ll post a pic of my recent tests. 

6BACDA1F-1F70-48BE-9089-389EABA51A45.jpeg

02B96D1E-A0C7-48B1-851F-707CBEC10E4D.jpeg

I don't own either of these lights (I do have a kessil but it is a more powerful version). A80 is just well known to be weaker than a Prime HD and my bubble tip sits under a hybrid t5 nanobox enjoying around 250 par. 

17 minutes ago, Jeff Hood said:

250 par is nice.  My AI prime won’t do that unless shallow.  

Which Kessil do you have that does this?

Sorry that's not the kessil...I am not sure of the kessils par...I have not measured it. It came with a tank I bought.

My nanobox hybrid gives 200ish par at the bottom. I have two t5...4 like pucks with blues 100 and mint 50....hung about a foot above the tank. Tank is 12 inches deep I believe.