Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish dying help

AlexMackenzie 90

AlexMackenzie 90

Hi so I have had my new tank for about a year now recently my clown fish died I had her for 6 years so I thought it might have been due to age but since then when ever I add a fish it dies over night I have had my water tested at 3 Lfs and they can’t seem to find any problems I’m really don’t no what to do I’m thinking I’m just going to have to strip the tank and start again any advice would be great if anyone has had a similar problem 

thank you 

1 minute ago, AlexMackenzie 90 said:

Hi so I have had my new tank for about a year now recently my clown fish died I had her for 6 years so I thought it might have been due to age but since then when ever I add a fish it dies over night I have had my water tested at 3 Lfs and they can’t seem to find any problems I’m really don’t no what to do I’m thinking I’m just going to have to strip the tank and start again any advice would be great if anyone has had a similar problem 

thank you 

Sorry to hear about your clownfish. 😕

We’re going to need pictures and your tank parameters.......and other details such as your equipment.  

• Like 2
AlexMackenzie 90

Thanks for the reply I put a picture on there my tank has a seachem hang on filter and I’m using an ato 

as far as parameters my salinity is 1.25

my phosphate are zero the same for amonia etc

D81ED4CC-D514-48C4-80F1-54713AF91896.jpeg

Just now, AlexMackenzie 90 said:

Thanks for the reply I put a picture on there my tank has a seachem hang on filter and I’m using an ato 

as far as parameters my salinity is 1.25

my phosphate are zero the same for amonia etc

D81ED4CC-D514-48C4-80F1-54713AF91896.jpeg

I like your scape. 😊

what kind of rock is that? Is it always that brown?

• Like 1
AlexMackenzie 90

Thank you it’s called really reef rock and no it started to go brown a little while ago I’m not sure if that’s causing the problem 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AlexMackenzie 90 said:

Thank you it’s called really reef rock and no it started to go brown a little while ago I’m not sure if that’s causing the problem 

The color of the rock is a concern.......can you blow the brown stuff off or is it part of the rock?  Do you have pics from before it turned brown? 

4 minutes ago, AlexMackenzie 90 said:

I can not even scrap it off I have tried to clean it but it is well and truly stuck and yeh I have a picture 

87B32DFB-63C2-4330-BDD4-C8A4D3CFF5AE.jpeg

Wow! That’s quite a difference.  Im willing to bet that is part of the issue.  

What kind of lights do you have and what’s the volume of this tank? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, AlexMackenzie 90 said:

I run a aqua night hipargero and my tank is 60l I have the light on for 8 hours per day it’s on a timer 

The rock seems quite lifeless for a tank of this age. I’m not sure if the brown stuff is algae or some type of bacteria. Have you noticed the snails eating it? Is it worse during certain times of the day or always solid brown?

(sorry for bombarding you with questions.) 

AlexMackenzie 90

That’s ok the snails have not really touched it there no part of the day it’s better or worse is always the same if anything it’s getting darker thank you for your replies 

• Like 1

Hmm... The sand looks relatively clean.  There is some green algae on the rock, but it's weird how the rock looks so brown.  I see a bit of algae taking hold on the before photo.

Without corals, I might try a 5 day blackout.  I'd also use a powerhead or turkey baster to blow any detritus off of the rock.  I might even stir up the sand bed.  Once you disrupt the detritus, you'll want to do a massive water change (as much as you can).

What type of filtration does this tank have?  What about flow rate?  Higher flow might help too.

The shrimp indicates that the water parameters aren't that out of wack.  I'd think a fish can live pretty much anywhere that the shrimp can.

The loss of fish makes me think it's a fish parasite or disease.  Did you introduce another fish prior to the loss of the clownfish?  I'd keep this tank fallow for 8 weeks before attempting another fish.  However, it could be where you are getting your fish from too.

Sounds like your current cleanup crew isn't touching this.  I wonder if something different, like a crab or even an urchin might help.  I'd definitely try scrubbing it off with a brush (toothbrush or vegetable brush).

I don't really know. :unsure:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

or some type of bacteria.

Maybe.  Maybe a bacterial culture supplement would help.  There are also some products designed to remove sludge from tanks.  I might be inclined to try something like that too.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, seabass said:

Maybe.  Maybe a bacterial culture supplement would help.  There are also some products designed to remove sludge from tanks.  I might be inclined to try something like that too.

Agree with all of those suggestions.  I’ve never seen anything so solid brown. 

AlexMackenzie 90

Thank you for all your replies I going to leave the lights off and try and clean the Rock I will the fish less for a couple of months and see how it goes

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, AlexMackenzie 90 said:

Thank you for all your replies I going to leave the lights off and try and clean the Rock I will the fish less for a couple of months and see how it goes

Keep us updated because I am curious about what that stuff could be. 😊

• Like 1
AlexMackenzie 90

I will leave the lights off and hopefully by the end of the week it will start to break down I will give an update fingers crossed it will start to clean up 

• Like 1

Sorry for the loss of your clownfish.

With the filter off, I'd spot treat a piece of the rock with peroxide to see if it does anything to the brown. 

Just 1ml directly on the rock. 

I have never seen anything like this as well.

Could be the rock itself. I can't find any rock called really reef rock?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Sorry for the loss of your clownfish.

With the filter off, I'd spot treat a piece of the rock with peroxide to see if it does anything to the brown. 

I have never seen anything like this as well.

Could be the rock itself. I can't find any rock called really reef rock?

I couldn’t find anything about the rock either. The brown color is so odd. It’s what I would picture if someone used the term “dead rock”...... if that makes sense. 😄

4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I couldn’t find anything about the rock either. The brown color is so odd. It’s what I would picture if someone used the term “dead rock”...... if that makes sense. 😄

When I first saw it I was thinking it was from a river or the back yard. I was not thinking reef rock. It started off good judging from the before picture. I agree it may be worth seeing if there is a way to clean it. Like Clown79 said a sample pc. There are plenty of rubble pieces to try one. 

53 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

• Like 1
Just now, debbeach13 said:

It started off good judging from the before picture.

I agree, the earlier pic shows pretty normal coloration.  It's just been overcame by this brown substance.

• Like 1

It looks like there's little flow in the tank... besides the hang on filter do you have any water movement? It's possible there are stagnant areas which could restrict beneficial bacteria to flourish. Do you do regular water changes? 10% weekly with quality salt and rodi water.

• Like 1